StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi troopers,

I just notice that the past weeks the temperature bars doesn't reach the number 3 as it used to do in warmer days.

I mean cooler is not better? also I only ride 20 minutes to get to work. On the way back I do reach the 3 bars because of the traffic and longer ride.

Any ideas?

:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
How much of a drop? The 650 can drop to two bars in cold or cool and wet weather. Without rain, 5C or thereabouts can do it with a normally functioning system.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Mine has never been below 3 bars once it gets to operating temp and that includes riding (slowly) on snow covered roads where the temp is zero or close too it.
The radiator guard if it has any affect would increase temperature by restricting air flow.
I would be checking the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
How much of a drop? The 650 can drop to two bars in cold or cool and wet weather. Without rain, 5C or thereabouts can do it with a normally functioning system.
Pat,

The temperature in Sydney at this time of year will generally be between about 9 and 15C (night low to day high). It can vary a bit but it's in that range. Cold in Sydney is like cold in LA. :D

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I thought as much but wasn't sure. I'd check the thermostat in that case. Six months from now, I'm looking at an average of -10 to -2. Last week it was 26 to 39. Enjoy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine has never been below 3 bars once it gets to operating temp
The radiator guard if it has any affect would increase temperature by restricting air flow.
I would be checking the thermostat.
+1 , check the thermostat .

On the ride (long way) home from work tonight ( 9C , warm for Orange ) the wee stayed at 3 bars - speed 50 to 60kmh
Ozzy

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Three bars are what the manufacturers have set to run the engine and oil at optimum temperature. As you know the engine and its oil run best when hot and you keep an eye on things, you could as a temporary measure add one or two strips of gaffer tape across the face of the radiator. This might help until you check or replace the thermostat.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Chinotaker , how long does your bike take to warm up in the morning ?
Ozzy

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
warming up

Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I work only 15 or 20 minutes ride from work and nowadays it take all the trip to warm up. It actually reaches the 3 bars at the very end of my trip when I get to the city and have to wait in a couple of red lights before my workplace.

I don't know maybe crossing the hardbord bridge and it's cold air doesn't let it warm up properly.

In the summer days the bike is warm and ready to rock and roll before the Hardbord bridge witch I absolutely LOVE because I can do a little drag race from 0 to 80 at the traffic lights before merging with the highway. It kind of makes my day :hurray::hurray::hurray:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I work only 15 or 20 minutes ride from work and nowadays it take all the trip to warm up.
There is something wrong. As I and others have advised check the thermostat.
No Strom takes 20 minutes to get to operating temp.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Chino , In the last few weeks I have been commuting in temps very near & sometimes below zero, my Strom always reaches 3 bars within a few minutes of riding and then stays there. Like others have said probably a thermostat on the end of life and staying open too long or its not closing properly. Clean or replace it.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
How do I do it?

where is it?
It's where the top radiator hose on the left side connects to the engine (same as a car). You will have to disconnect the hose at the engine end which means you will have to drain the coolant then take the housing off and the thermostat is inside the housing. You may find that it's got some dirt or other gunk in it that is stopping it from operating but if you are going to pull the whole thing apart you may as well replace it anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
On mine I would say about 10 minutes at idle obviously quicker if you have the throttle a little open.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I work only 15 or 20 minutes ride from work and nowadays it take all the trip to warm up. It actually reaches the 3 bars at the very end of my trip when I get to the city and have to wait in a couple of red lights before my workplace.

I don't know maybe crossing the hardbord bridge and it's cold air doesn't let it warm up properly.

In the summer days the bike is warm and ready to rock and roll before the Hardbord bridge witch I absolutely LOVE because I can do a little drag race from 0 to 80 at the traffic lights before merging with the highway. It kind of makes my day :hurray::hurray::hurray:
Hi chinotaker, this is my wee this morning - outside air temp 8.6C , got the wee out of the shed after 30secs rode it to the backdoor , idle for 3.5 mins (helmet /gloves ect) , set tripmeter at front of house , 4 mins 1 bar on temp gauge , 5.5 mins 1.6kms 2 bars , 10 mins 4.2kms 3 bars at the gate into work . All times from starting motor.
On the way to work i have 3 roundabouts and one set of lights (red).
most of the way i sat on 50-60kmh if i can, engine RPM up to 4500 i think .
But most days i only get to 2 bars .
Sounds like yours is running a little cool , compared to mine (2011 model with almost 10,000 kms on it)
Hope this is some help :mrgreen:
Ozzy

Note - i have all the panels off the wee at this time ,doing some work / maintence on it .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi troopers,

I just notice that the past weeks the temperature bars doesn't reach the number 3 as it used to do in warmer days.

I mean cooler is not better? also I only ride 20 minutes to get to work. On the way back I do reach the 3 bars because of the traffic and longer ride.

Any ideas?

:confused:
Like Chinotaker, I too am in SYD and was curious when I saw my 07 Wee flip between 2-3 bars on a (rare) 20-30 minute commute to work where I hardly exceeded 50-60 kph - it is Sydney traffic after all : (

The only thing that has changed is the recent addition of a rather tasty (IMHO) stainless radiator guard that I backed by some metal flyscreen like mesh.

My thinking (perhaps erroneously) is the rad guard may actually act as a extra heat sink absorbing some of the heat from the radiator and thereby providing a greater total surface area (than radiator only) for the air to pass over and cool. I see (not surprisingly) the rad guard too is very warm after the ride to / from work.

Am yet to see if same symptoms exist on a higher speed run (I need to get out more!)

Prior to fitting of rad guard, riding up in fairly heavy sleet at around 0 - 2 degrees at Mt Hotham, Mt Buffalo & Bright recently, I did see it drop down to 2 bars from time to time for a short while, esp. on low speed down hill run with a gently feathered throttle.

I am not concerned in any way, just a little curious.

cheers...herdygerdy

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks

I will use the "iddle standard" without playing with the throttle to see what happens.

I will say I reach the 3 bars after 12 or 15 minutes as well and around 5 km trip. So I don't feel alone :thumbup:

Also I didn't mention that I try not to go over 4 000 RPM till the engine reaches 3 bars so nowadays I actually never go over 4K in the morning. I do believe as well that the radiator guard helps keep things cooler.

I remember noticing that after installing it. but in the warmer days I would reach the 3 bars much quicker so I was abble to do my little drag race before the hardbord bridge. (till the speed limit by the way :yesnod:)

I don't want to start another thread but is somebody else noticing cooler temps after installing the radiator guards?

... maybe I will

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
On mine I would say about 10 minutes at idle obviously quicker if you have the throttle a little open.
I have an update here.
Left home this morning by riding across the frosty grass. The air temp would have been maybe 4-5C (it's only 9C at mid day).
About one minute with the bike warming up while I put my helmet and gloves on and 3.2 km plus 4 minutes riding till the temp gauge hit three bars.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts