StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Telluride CO And Surrounding Areas?

Anyone here located in or anywhere near the subject area? We're working on plans to head that way in June; any good road or site-seeing suggestions?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
Riding over Lizard Head pass to Ridgeway in a thunderstorm I've seen the gullys muddy up and the highway become an obstacle course of mud and boulders.
On a clear day it's really wunnerful. Colorado is Muy Bitchin for riding.
I know Teluride has a guitar Finger Picking Championship but not sure of the dates.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Anyone here located in or anywhere near the subject area? We're working on plans to head that way in June; any good road or site-seeing suggestions?

Thanks a lot
I'm in the area. Are you going to be on your bike?

Keep me posted on your dates and maybe we can meet up. I'll give you must see/must do checklist for the area.

You're going to LOVE IT!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wife and I rode our Wee's last mid-May through the whole area. Took a couple of days of side-routes. Stayed in Pagosa Springs. Freakin' awesome, but froze butts off at the tops of the passes. June is a MUCH btter timeframe. We both swore we'd be doing it all again, but in reverse so the views all look different. :mrgreen: I'll check back here as it gets closer. Might be able to work it out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
San Juan Scenic Highway is worth a look. Look up the Silver Pick Lodge near the base of Purgatory.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
What kind of riding are you looking for? For Pavement, the San Juan Skyway is hard to beat. Try to do it on a weekday, as there is a lot of traffic on weekends and too many who don't know how to drive mountains - traffic takes the fun out of the ride. Wolf Creek, South Fork, Creede, Lake City is a good ride. There are some great dirt passes as well if you get tired of the asphalt. If you are into artifacts, Canyon of the Ancients is good as well as Mesa Verde. Depending on the direction you are coming from, Muley point in SE Utah is an awesome view of the San Juan goosenecks and Monument Valley.

Northwest through Naturita to Gateway is a nice rice as well - and a cool auto museum in Gateway for us Motornutts :yesnod:

Give a heads up when you will be in the area and if I can get out, maybe we can meet up and ride a little.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Om Nom - We are heading that way in June as well, leaving from the Carolinas for what I hope to be a multi week trip. PM me and let's check our dates.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I know the snowfall was lower than usual this winter, but will the creeks and rivers be fordable in June?

If you are planning on doing much jeep trail riding, Silverton or Ouray might be a better choice for setting up base rather than Telluride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will also be there in June, I should be there around the 18th for a few days before meandering back up to British Columbia.

So by the sounds of it the San Juan skyway should be on the list, I was also of heading up into the mountains around Ouray: Engineer pass.
Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Om Nom, any way you could forward me these ride reports you've received? Would love the info/knowledge, I live on the front range, and plan on spending some time all over this summer.
I'm surprised there's not a thread with people sharing dif CO rides, such a popular state to for it. ADVRider has a pretty good one, but obviously almost all of it is off road.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I will also be there in June, I should be there around the 18th for a few days before meandering back up to British Columbia.

So by the sounds of it the San Juan skyway should be on the list, I was also of heading up into the mountains around Ouray: Engineer pass.
Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

Sounds like there may be a handful of Strommers in the area during that time. If anyone wants to set a date for a meet up let me know! I'd be happy to point people in all sorts of directions for amazing routes.

I will be in your neck of the woods in September Sconde, maybe we can help eachother out?:thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
BUTLER MAPS COLORADO MAP & SUPPORTING BOOK ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

combine them w/ all the suggestions & you'll have more than you can cover in a lifetime

while you're up there, don't forget to eat @ THE TRUE GRIT in RIDGEWAY, for a piece of JOHN WAYNE history

the restaurant is on the spot where THE DUKE was first seen, in the movie & the park out front is where the hanging took place

have fun & be cautious of the antlered quadrupeds on the highway @ dusk & later

they have a tendency to terminate an otherwise great trip, when encountered by 2-wheelers

shiny side up

sw

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know the snowfall was lower than usual this winter, but will the creeks and rivers be fordable in June?

If you are planning on doing much jeep trail riding, Silverton or Ouray might be a better choice for setting up base rather than Telluride.
Up until this week, I would have said yes, but we are getting decent rain and snow all week. Even so, with the light snowpack we will most likely still experience early runoff in the southern San Juans so creeks and rivers normally fordable in June should be this year. But, it all depends on which cloud just passed over :new_shitsmiley:

·
Registered
271 Posts
google custom search

on 'colorado passes' yields lots of info (more than just passes) from Stromtroopers. I am planning 3-4 week trip in september with part of that in colorado. Safe travels.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like there may be a handful of Strommers in the area during that time. If anyone wants to set a date for a meet up let me know! I'd be happy to point people in all sorts of directions for amazing routes.

I will be in your neck of the woods in September Sconde, maybe we can help eachother out?:thumbup:
I will be doing lots of exploring around my neck of the woods this summer so I should have quite a list to give you by September!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
BUTLER MAPS COLORADO MAP & SUPPORTING BOOK ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

combine them w/ all the suggestions & you'll have more than you can cover in a lifetime

while you're up there, don't forget to eat @ THE TRUE GRIT in RIDGEWAY, for a piece of JOHN WAYNE history

the restaurant is on the spot where THE DUKE was first seen, in the movie & the park out front is where the hanging took place

have fun & be cautious of the antlered quadrupeds on the highway @ dusk & later

they have a tendency to terminate an otherwise great trip, when encountered by 2-wheelers

shiny side up

sw
This /\/\/\

I was out there last June, covered as much of the state west of Denver I could in one week. Road 1900 miles. If you like to ride tar and gravel there really are no bad rides west of Denver. Even the boring roads have unbelievable scenery. Get a Butler map and talk to the locals you run into.

My top dirt/gravel was Phantom Canyon Road out of Cripple Creek. Wasn't to technical, but great scenery.

Best tar was 141 from Gand Junction to Ridgeway. This is not to be missed, and you will end up at the True Grit Cafe.

Have a good time!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts