StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to be in Townsend Tn. the weekend of Oct. 2 (whatever) and I thought that we might try the Racker Rd. (out of Tellico) ref'd in other threads. Is it dirt? Can this be done on sport/tourer and does it end up at the Skyway out at the Indian Boundry? Not all of us have d/p bikes but everyone is pretty good at making chicken salad out of chickencrap. Any other suggestions for mixed FR/gravel/pavement in that area are requested as long as we (they) get some fast work in). Again, most of this crowd took the old forest rds. on street bikes from the (old) end of 165 into Robbinsville before the skyway was finished on the NC side. Of course, we were stupid but if a late 80's HD low rider custom can make it.....). Again, all suggestions and advice welcome and requested. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We'll be camping at Elkmount that weekend....but don't think I'll have the Wee with me:(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Where do you plan on staying, and can you post a link for the road you mentioned. I live in this area and there are not many roads i have not ridden but dont remember seeing that road. It is possible however it has another name locally.

A lot of the local street signs do not match up with those magically internet map programs...

If you need a tip on riding in the area let me know...

Coop

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you plan on staying, and can you post a link for the road you mentioned. I live in this area and there are not many roads i have not ridden but dont remember seeing that road. It is possible however it has another name locally.

A lot of the local street signs do not match up with those magically internet map programs...

If you need a tip on riding in the area let me know...

Coop
Coop,
we're staying at the ultra swanky Tally Ho Motel in Townsend. Should be ambling in from all over on Thursday Night. Mixed crowd, sport bikes, D/P, Cruisers, Sport Tourers etc. It is our 25th anniversary trip ( some of these guys are freakin old, bald headed curmudgeons) (oh, thats me) and while the 1st trips were camping affairs (Elkmont), having a bed and shower won out.
Anyhow, Racker Rd (according to Delormeback roads map) runs out of Tellico Plains north of and parallel to the skyway, terminating out at the "Indian Boundry" then a road (again Delorme) connects with the skyway. I'll PM my cell in case you're bored and want to ride and any local knowledge you can share, I do appreciate.
El Brown

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll be camping at Elkmount that weekend....but don't think I'll have the Wee with me:(
Thats ok we don't have any problem with you riding the Martian MRF 230. My God, I rode a Buell White Lightening once or twice (course, the boys gave me serious heat for that).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats ok we don't have any problem with you riding the Martian MRF 230. My God, I rode a Buell White Lightening once or twice (course, the boys gave me serious heat for that).

hehe....sounds more like a DR350S Ride to me.... :)

Hope you all have fun.....maybe I'll see you in passing at some point over the weekend...

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe....sounds more like a DR350S Ride to me.... :)

Hope you all have fun.....maybe I'll see you in passing at some point over the weekend...
we're coming out to the elkmont campground and cruise through, calling out your name at high volume. you, your neighbors and the rangers will love it. well, maybe we'll be better than that and not screw up your stay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
we're coming out to the elkmont campground and cruise through, calling out your name at high volume. you, your neighbors and the rangers will love it. well, maybe we'll be better than that and not screw up your stay.

That'd be interesting....:D:D...
If I had a good way to get the family, and the campinmg gear, AND the V-Strom (or DR350) there, I'd bring it....but I really don't have a way to do that...:(

·
Registered
93 Posts
The wife and kids are whimping out on me...
We're going to get a cabin in Townsend instead of camping, so we won't be at Elkmont after all....:(

But still close by, but still don't expect to have a bike with me....:(

Anyway, have a fun trip....and think of those of us stuck in our cages for the weekend....:sad1:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Saw a couple V-Stroms over the weekend down in Towsend/Smokies....both were with a group of non Stroms....and both had a Ducati Multistrada with them (2 different colors).....was REALLY wishing I were on my Wee, and not in my cage...:(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Any strommers going to be in the Smokies this coming weekend(10,11,12th)? My wife and I are going down to ride the dragon, if anyone is interested lets ride it together. This will be our first time, she'll be on an 08 FZ6 and me on my wee. Matte Black # 203

·
Registered
93 Posts
The leaves were just starting to change, so if weather holds out, should be a nice weekend for you..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts