StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting over here, hoping to glean some collective wisdom about the 650 that would carry over to the 2012 model. I guess lots of stuff remains the same so, what say you? School me up. What works, what doesn't?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It's all been written, what do you want to know?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Look at the 2012+ forum to start with. Asking about a 2012 in a 2004-2011 forum probably won't make much difference but it bothers my OCD.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm looking for issues that may carry over from the old Wee to the new Wee. I've read the 2012 thread from cover to cover. What's lurking in the new Wee that we haven't been told about. I'm hoping to find out something about the basic nature of the basic bike without having to read the whole Gen 1 Wee thread from front to back.

For instance, having owned two Gen 1 KLR's, I can tell an owner of Gen 2 KLR's some issues, like the doohickey or the need for a t-mod or 22 cent mod or the need for a thermobob.

Sorry if this requests offends, maybe the collective wisdom isn't relevant to the new bike.

·
Administrator
17,252 Posts
Don't look for problems that don't exist, ride more and worry less. Odds are in your favor, but no bike is perfect as you realize. I can tell you that "most" 2012 owners are not worried or concerned about anything, so follow their lead.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I want to know what I should or shouldn't be doing with my 2012 that owners of 2012 wee's know nothing about.
I am not aware of anything "wrong" with the the pre 2012 DL-650s. I own a 2007 DL-650 that I purchased new. I have over 100,000 miles on the bike, and I haven't had one problem with it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I want to know what I should or shouldn't be doing with my 2012 that owners of 2012 wee's know nothing about.
Just ride it, the '12 feels better than the old one, but they're not that different. Nobody has reported big problems with either version.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The Mosfit Regulator/Rectifier would fall into the category of "preventive" changes/additions I've made to my '09 ABS.

My riding is long distance touring and camping trips. Frequently, I'm alone on the road so a failure of the charging system would present a problem. From reading the various posts, the Mosfit seemed to make that type of failure less likely.

I don't know if the new version Wee has the same type R/R but, if so, you might want to consider it.

·
38,104 Posts
The R/R on the 12 is huge with bigger cooling fins. I haven't ridden it with a voltmeter yet. Instead of that short hose between the fuel rails that liked to leak on past bikes, there is a tee fitting with separate hoses to each injector.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, G/W....I read about that leak somewhere. I'm getting the drift there are no major issues with this bike. Sounds like Suzuki does its homework. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is even uglyer than the "old Strom" but not as ugly as the new Multistrada:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
353 Posts
2012 Vs older version

So Greywolf,

I see you now have a 2012? Did you also keep your prior model and do you think the 2012 is worth the upgrade. I was in dealer looked at 2012 (they will not test ride). The reported smoother and higher power sounds nice but not sure it is worth jump from a farked resprung 2007. (you had a very trick suspension on your older Wee if I recall).

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the two when you get anough miles.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
2012 issues I've found.

The reflectors in the headlight are very close compared to the older model. If you adjust the lights (which is probably needed), do it from the front and make sure they don't touch.

The mirror clamps are an absolute bastard - reverse thread and soft aluminium.

The high-beam indicator is VERY bright. If it annoys you, stick a dot of tape over it.

The heat shield on the pipe on mine was loose after 8000km. The rubber spacers had shrunk. Easy to pack so it's tight again.

I replaced a K6 with 125,000k's with the L2. That was worth doing, significantly lower k's, no.

The 2012 is nicer all round, but not enough to drop lots of $$ just to get the new one.
Pretty much every annoying feature on the K6 that could be fixed without upping the price seems to have been dealt with. Plus the engine is better, suspension is better, handling is better.

Pete

·
38,104 Posts
My first impressions are very good. I expect I'll sell my '07 once I'm finished with the modifications I'm doing to make the Glee comparable. One possible issue is the seat. If I can't manage all day trips on the stock seat, I'll need to address that issue before going to a single bike.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for insights

Thanks for insights on 12 Vs prior. They sort of confirmed my inclinations for my personal situation and taste when I sat on one in shop. Seems like the 12 adressed some of the issues of prior that some of us modify. I did an economical upgrade with 07 suspension and am guessing it matches up well with new one since it makes me grin and was big improvement- and have tweaked most other things that could use some improvement.

When I sat on new one I noticed that it does let you foot about same as my 3/4" lowered but was wondering about seat (firm is not always bad but did not seem to have comfort width). Mine only has 19k and running great - could always use more power but not sure whether there would be enough improvement for all the $$.

Interesting that adventure models for 1000 and 650 are priced pretty close. All that extra torque might make those comparable value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts