StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been approved for financing on a brand new, silver 2009 DL650. At the quoted price ($6,700 OTD) I can ALMOST afford to get the DL AND keep my KLR (though I'd be making minimum payments on both bikes).

Can anyone think of a good reason why I SHOULDN'T get the DL?? :D

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Do you have a deep-seated, long hidden desire to never own arguably one of the best all-around motorcycles to ever turn a wheel?

Nope?

Then congratulations and welcome to the collective! Here, drink this Kool-aid.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Kool-aid good, thanks Mr Jones.....

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Keep it

For any ride that does NOT include rocks, sand, mud, deep ruts or steep dirt hills, the DL will be unbelievably better than your KLR. But if any of those items appear on your agenda, the KLR will be more capable and less susceptible to damage. Yeah, some folks put knobbies on their Wee's and go dirt biking. But they'd have a lot more fun on a lighter, shorter machine.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Because $6700 only gets you the bike. Beware, then the farkling begins and it will keep going and going, but that is the fun part.
Congrats!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am aware of Farklitus. I had it with the KLR too.

As for "off-road".....my idea of "off-road" is dirt roads/gravel roads/fire roads. It is my understanding that the Wee is capable of this. As some here can attest, the more "unmaintained" roads challenge me. LOL

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
It is capable of that if you are, but the KLR might be slightly more capable. Either way, you are going to be stoked with it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
So, I've been approved for financing on a brand new, silver 2009 DL650. At the quoted price ($6,700 OTD) I can ALMOST afford to get the DL AND keep my KLR (though I'd be making minimum payments on both bikes).

I think the DL1000 would better compliment the KLR than the 650.

Go for it.

You can always sell the thumper, or keep it for visiting dignitaries.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I think that if you can afford two bikes you should buy the DL. If you can only afford one bike, buy the DL and sell the KLR. If you keep both you can use the KLR for off road and the DL for everything else. Then again, you could sell the KLR and get the farkles you need for the DL :D

Whenever I go off road I find myself thinking that I wish I had a better off road bike. If it was me, I'd keep both.

SS

S

·
0 Posts
I can't think of a good reason why you should KEEP the KLR.

I had an '06 KLR and loved it. In my fantasies I was globe-trekking, doing major maintenance on the side of a mule path, climbing rocky passes and doing deep water crossings.
In reality, I commute to work, run errands on paved roads, take long rides on twisty blacktop, and only occasionally explore a dirt/ gravel road (note that a "dirt road" is still a "road," as in: not "OFF road.")
I was bikeless for a week between selling the KLR and buying the Vee, and I was having some second thoughts. After I had the Vee for a week or two my wife asked if I still thought I'd made the right choice. I told her, "it's like going from a horse-drawn cart to a spaceship."

It sounds like you ride about the same mix as I do. If so, any "off road" advantage of the KLR doesn't really matter. That leaves the KLR's advantages as: cheap, low-tech/ easy to work on, and harder to damage in a drop.
The Wee will do the dirt roads, but has double the hp, better brakes, better seat, more instrumentation, doesn't need to be warmed up, and gets equivalent mpg (as I understand - I'm on a Vee). There's good after-market support and it's a well-tested and robust machine. It even has a flippin' gas gauge and a clock - I mean, come on - this isn't really a hard choice!

I didn't own both bikes concurrently, but I can safely say the KLR would sit a LOT. I'd only ride it for nostalgia's sake and to keep it fresh, and I would never, and I mean NEVER, put it on the highway while my DL sat in the garage - the KLR is abysmal at 65mph+.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think a smaller bike is a good complement to a V-Strom, smaller than a KLR 650. Something well-suited to 35mph on bumpy terrain, not 65mph on the highway.

KLR 250, DR-Z 400, XT250...

My point is, at some point everybody wants to
a) go as fast as possible on a fast bike
b) go over some gnarly terrain to get to the top of that hill
c) have a bike they can drop repeatedly without worry
d) have a shiny bike with no busted plastic
e) go a long way in relative comfort

That takes at least two different bikes.

So my advice is sell the KLR, pay down the DL, and when it's paid off, get the beater dirtbike of your dreams!

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I think a smaller bike is a good complement to a V-Strom, smaller than a KLR 650. Something well-suited to 35mph on bumpy terrain, not 65mph on the highway.

KLR 250, DR-Z 400, XT250...

My point is, at some point everybody wants to
a) go as fast as possible on a fast bike
b) go over some gnarly terrain to get to the top of that hill
c) have a bike they can drop repeatedly without worry
d) have a shiny bike with no busted plastic
e) go a long way in relative comfort

That takes at least two different bikes.

So my advice is sell the KLR, pay down the DL, and when it's paid off, get the beater dirtbike of your dreams!
Very good advice IMO. :)
The KLR is a great only bike, but if you have 2 (or more :)) then is makes sense to specialize a bit more.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I personally have a thing about financing a 'toy'. Even though I ride my Strom every day, it is still something fun to own. Because you said "Almost", as was pointed out earlier, you should keep only one. 'Almost' implies that you will strap yourself to keep two bikes that you cannot ride at the same time. It also implies that you wouldn't have enough money to put into either of the bikes for things that you might need or want like luggage, center stand, GPS, etc.

Sell the KLR and go with the Strom, but seriously consider a used Strom and save yourself a bundle of $$ that can go into other things (like a 3 Week trip to Deadhorse).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with you about financing a toy, but there's really no choice for me.There are no used bikes within a reasonable distance from me (unless I want an H-D or an ATV :rolleyes:). I've been looking for a DL650 since I first was interested in "adventure riding" and actually had to tell Suzuki sales guys what it was!! This one is exactly what I've been wanting at a reasonable price.

My KLR is already nicely farkled and I have decided to sell it, so that's really no biggy.......but I doubt I could get to Deadhorse and back in three weeks! LOL It's on the list of places to go though. I've been working my way up on long trips. I'm hoping to do the Grand Canyon and Mounment Valley next spring! The Wee will make that a great trip!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Insurance rates?

Check your insurance rates, they can be shocking especially if you've had any claims.

Is your job secure? Taking on extra debt in this economy...

Does your better half like the color? Could be a deal breaker. :mod2_clown:

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can't think of a good reason why you should KEEP the KLR.

I had an '06 KLR and loved it. In my fantasies I was globe-trekking, doing major maintenance on the side of a mule path, climbing rocky passes and doing deep water crossings.
In reality, I commute to work, run errands on paved roads, take long rides on twisty blacktop, and only occasionally explore a dirt/ gravel road (note that a "dirt road" is still a "road," as in: not "OFF road.")
I was bikeless for a week between selling the KLR and buying the Vee, and I was having some second thoughts. After I had the Vee for a week or two my wife asked if I still thought I'd made the right choice. I told her, "it's like going from a horse-drawn cart to a spaceship."

It sounds like you ride about the same mix as I do. If so, any "off road" advantage of the KLR doesn't really matter. That leaves the KLR's advantages as: cheap, low-tech/ easy to work on, and harder to damage in a drop.
The Wee will do the dirt roads, but has double the hp, better brakes, better seat, more instrumentation, doesn't need to be warmed up, and gets equivalent mpg (as I understand - I'm on a Vee). There's good after-market support and it's a well-tested and robust machine. It even has a flippin' gas gauge and a clock - I mean, come on - this isn't really a hard choice!

I didn't own both bikes concurrently, but I can safely say the KLR would sit a LOT. I'd only ride it for nostalgia's sake and to keep it fresh, and I would never, and I mean NEVER, put it on the highway while my DL sat in the garage - the KLR is abysmal at 65mph+.
LOL, this post made me chuckle... especially the "In my fantasies I was globe-trekking" part...

I was in the exactly same boat, just replace the "KLR" with "DR650".

I loved the DR and was sad to see it go, but I love my Wee even more as it does not suck on pavement above 50 mph, and I did not miss the DR like evar. OK except when I dropped the Wee, the DR was a little easier to pick up. :)

+1 on everything!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I didn't know the KLR was consudered a motorcycle, I always thought of mine as a POS.

S

·
0 Posts
Just to clarify/ re-iterate: I loved my KLR. It's a great cheap, simple, robust, do-all m/c.

The whole design motif of the thing is "compromise", tho... as in, it has compromised some street ability for dirt ability - but it has also compromised some dirt ability for street ability.

As such, a valid way of looking at it is: it's not really a "good" bike for anything. Ok, except for the very unique case of "anything" = "I can only have one m/c and I ride 50/50 dirt/street"...

Dump that pig!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You already decided to sell, but I'll chime in too, even if it's redundant. I went from a KLR to the DL650. You are going from a great compromise thumper to an excellent all 'rounder that is slightly less "dirt" capable. I agree with two other posters. 1) If you keep the KLR, get the Vee, you won't care that it's heavy in dirt because you'll be on the KLR. 2) If you can afford 2, get the Wee and a 250 or 400 dual sport. The KLR (especially the plastic'd up 2008 I had, just isnt THAT capable off-road. The smaller ones are.

I can't wait until I can afford a WR-250 or a DRZ-400. My wife rides an XT-225, and she can't wait for an FZ-6. Then we'll be set for on road and off.

Did I mention that my wife rocks?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts