Strom Trooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a one-piece suit from Teiz Motorsports about 3-4 weeks ago. I chose the Air Shell Suit, because I live in San Diego and it is usually very warm most of the year. I had a Tourmaster Sedona Mesh jacket for almost 2 years as my only jacket! I only had to add a liner in the winter to keep the cold morning air off of me. So I knew that I needed something that could flow a lot of air if I wanted to be comfortable.

This is my first one piece suit, but I had seen a few riders with them and they seemed to be a great solution for my commuting needs and occasional trip. I’ve used it extensively in the last 3-4 weeks commuting 60 mi round trip and also for shorter errands or shopping trips. I’ve found it very easy to put on once I knew the proper method of getting your right leg in first. The elbow pads didn’t feel the same as my other jacket, so I was paranoid about making sure they were in the right place. I was constantly checking them, only to find that they were right where they needed to be and hadn’t moved. I had the same issue with the kneepads but once I adjusted the leg adjusters they were always in the right spot. I think this has to do with the SAS-TEC armor in the elbows/knees/shoulders/hips/back is softer and more pliable so it isn’t as noticeable as my old hard shell pads in my old jacket.

The Air Shell suit is made of perforated 500 denier Cordura with Super-Fabric patches over impact areas like shoulders/elbows/knees. I’ve read some great things about Super-Fabric and had previously only seen it in very high end jackets from Rev-It that cost $600+
I’ve found the suit to be not as cooling/light as my old mesh jacket, but I figured it wouldn’t be since the mesh on that was so light and probably not very protective. I’ve worn the suit in temps between 61-84 F and it has been fine. I was surprised by the fact that it wasn’t too cold at the lower temps, my old mesh jacket was always too cold in the mornings/nights. But I was able to feel the all of the cool air coming in that I hadn’t noticed during the higher temps. If you’re moving when it’s hot out, it will keep you ventilated!

I went with a new color way they are offering now, the ‘Stealth’ It’s basically all black with just the Super Fabric patches and reflective stripes in gray. I love it and I think it looks cool. I got pulled over by a CHP motor officer today and after he let me off with a warning, he said “Nice suit!” on his external speaker and gave me a thumbs up before he took off. Street Cred!

Over all I’m very pleased with the suit and very happy with the high level of protection offered by the suit because of all of the high-end materials used: SAS-TEC armor, Super Fabric, Cordura. I’m glad it’s easy to put on over street clothes so I don’t have to sacrifice safety or my attempt at ATGATT if I want to be comfortable in some shorts once I get to a destination. I used to swelter in thick Draggin Kevlar Jeans after getting to a destination in the summer. Now I just zip the suit off and stow it in my top box.

The only cons I’ve found so far are:
1. The pass through pockets are lined up with the hip pads, so using the pass through to try and get into your shorts pockets is pretty difficult without removing the pad. I usually just pull the main zipper down and get what I need that way. I had read that in a review somewhere, so it wasn’t a surprise for me at least.

2. Hotter than my old mesh jacket in the warmest weather I’ve encountered so far. Again, I figured it would be so not a big surprise. If it’s hot out, you’re going to be hot no matter what you’re wearing. I feel the amount of air the suit flows will help you out as much as possible. I remember being hot in my mesh jacket on hot days too. I just have to get used to the feeling of this suit and forget about that wimpy mesh!

Teiz offers free crashed suit replacement as long as you give a review (see above) and include a few pics. So rather than throw away free insurance…

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, not in the Navy, just went over to the USS Midway and stopped to take some pics.

The suit is still awesome, I wear it every day commuting to work, I wear a T-shirt and lightweight shorts underneath and it's fine in the summer heat.

I also took it on a 1300 mi road trip up the PCH to San Francisco and back, and it worked great. It was nice to get to a destination, and then just zip it off and be comfortable to walk around and sight see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts