StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Techmount Tech mount stem"...........one of those gizmo stalks that somehow fits in the steering stem?? How does this work with a steering stem nut already in place?? The seller on ebay said it works for Vee's and Wee's..........not sure I'll buy one, was just trying to figure out how it mounts??
thanks
mark444

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I'm not sure how it works on the V-Strom but I have one on my VFR. The steering stem is hollow and just has a cap plug on it. The stem of the GPS mount has some o-rings on it and slides down into the hollow steering stem tube. It's pretty reliable although it does tend to twist a little bit from time to time, but not a great deal.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chrome nut on top..........

Thanks Scott.........I didn't think about the chrome nut on top (no...the one on the bike, not "me") is decorative only, not actually holding the upper triples together. I'll pull mine tonight (no.......the nut.........on the bike! oh, nevermind)
mark444

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I suspect it's the same. My VFR just had a plastic plug stuck in the steering stem as I recall. The chrome nut on the V-Strom is probably just a cap nut that doesn't really do anything.

Actually, looking on Tech-Mount's web site the Suggested Mount for the V-Strom is the 7/8" handlebar mount. I do have that one on my V-Strom and it works very well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Techmount Stem Mount

I know the original post is from 2009 but after this weekend I have some information to add to this for anybody following in these footsteps.

I have a 2011 DL650 and bought Techmount's Stem Mount after my local shop said it would be compatible. I pointed out to them the cap that is on top of the stem nut and was told "pop off the chrome cap from underneath"..........................don't go there. I tried it and it doesn't work.

So instead, I removed my handlebars and took off the stem nut. I spent the better part of 30 minutes messing around with the stem nut trying to remove what appeared to be a decorative chrome cap. From what I can tell, these two pieces are inseparable. I tried everything I could think of, short of applying heat because I didn't want to discolor the chrome.

In failure and in shame I reinstalled my stem nut and handlebars and took the stem mount kit back to the store and bought the handlebar mount instead.

I suppose if you have a drill press you could drill a giant hole through the cap or you could also buy an aftermarket (capless) nut to replace the OEM nut; however, it seemed easier and less complicated to exchange it for the handlebar mount instead.

:headbang:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts