StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally tried out my tires off road on very moist to quite wet mud today. I have to say I am very impressed so far although I was disappointed with how they felt on thick loose gravel at anything over 60 km (last week). I just chewed up most of the terrain I was on and I got on to some nasty business.

I am in love with my Wee. I have got literally a half dozen compliments on my bike in the past week and a half (even though she's a bit "beat up" she has lots of character!) and I held up on my own and represented the Wee quite proudly in a high traffic off road vehicle area. There are definitely limitations to what the bike can do but it sure is a sturdy beast.

Next trip will be to test them on sand.

Bravo Zulu!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Wee will be due for some new tires pretty soon and I'm contemplating TKC's so I'll be waiting for some input from you. I primarily use mine as a road bike but TKC's have always performed pretty well for me on the road on my KLR650.

$bob$

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 19" tkc is a little different from the 21"

also they wear fast on the larger bikes, at least they did on my 1150gsa. I cooked them in just 1500 miles and there was nothing left.

Good offroad (considering) but a bit shite on the road. You learn to ride around them though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
also they wear fast on the larger bikes, at least they did on my 1150gsa. I cooked them in just 1500 miles and there was nothing left.

Good offroad (considering) but a bit shite on the road. You learn to ride around them though.
WOW, only 1,500 miles! I know my friend got at least 5,000 on his 800GS, not sure at what point he changed 'em, could have been 6,000 miles but don't quote me.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
I have put around 1400 miles on my teakaycees and their showing a little wear but not bad. I think I'll get close to 5000 miles out of them.

I really love them off pavement and they aren't to bad on dry pavement once you get used to the "feel". They give the bike a pretty cool "manly" look which isn't all bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 800s a different kettle of fish really. Its a much lighter bike with lower torque which is easier for the tyres to deal with. I ragged the nuts of my gsa at all opportunities and weighing 50 kilos more, they died. They also dont like sustained high speeds. 115+ shreds them. (they are only rated to 100mph anyway)

·
Registered
91 Posts
For what it's worth, I've got TKCs on my Honda XR650L and the rear (140/80-18 size) is getting pretty shallow in the middle at around 3k miles.

I'm amazed by stories of people on bigger bikes getting 5000 miles or more out of a rear TKC. I don't know how they do it.

--mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm on my second set of TKC80's on my Wee, I got around 5500miles on the first set, and will probably get 4000 on the second (first set did much more off road than second set). I found out the hard way to make them last, run 30+psi on the road and 18 or so in the dirt. don't forget to air up when back on the road. I use a husky battery powered tire inflator $9.99 from HomeDepot that fits under the seat.

Here it is when I stopped for a drink in some shade in the Withalachoochee St. Forest, Lots and Lots of Sand deep surgar sand. Don't know how they do in sticky mud, as I haven't had the oppertunity.

They work very well, and will buy another when these are worn out.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
The photo below is from a road I took a couple of months ago and it is about 1" to 2" of light sand. The bike actually handled pretty well once I got over the fear of falling and gained some confidence.

There is a sandwash near this road with about 4" to 6" of sand. I used to struggle in that on my dirt bike, but I really want to see how it goes on my Wee. I am going to wait to try it until I am out there with other people in case I get stuck or drop it and have trouble getting it upright.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I have 7,660 miles on my front and rear TKC80s. In no way do I baby these tires. They are used and abused on all types of surfaces.

For me, they are the best all around tire for my DL-650. They are excellent on dry and wet pavement; you know what they can do on gravel roads.

That said, now that I am coming into warmer weather, today I ordered a new set of Trailwings. Right now, I need something cheap to run and that I can rely on. I have never had any issues with the OEM tires, but I am truly going to miss the TKC 80s until I can swing a new set.

·
Registered
154 Posts
TKC 80

I loved my front TKC 80 w/ Maxxis Detour out back. The only time I noticed a difference was at 1-5 mph; stoplights and such. There was a slight vibration at the handle bars when stopping.
They did great on road and on dry dirt / rocky roads. No fault of the TKC 80 , I did lose it after 600 miles due to lowering the pressure off road and hitting a sharp rock on the side / close to the wheel.
So now I have a Anneke front; not as good off road but tough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts