StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of a day I speak with a far amount of riders. In the last week 2 riders have mentioned this brake system that they have on HD cruisers. The basic claim is that it's almost as good as ABS and is easy to install and works well. I tend to be dubious especially went it comes to brakes and modifications. Thoughts?

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/index.html

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
In the course of a day I speak with a far amount of riders. In the last week 2 riders have mentioned this brake system that they have on HD cruisers. The basic claim is that it's almost as good as ABS and is easy to install and works well. I tend to be dubious especially went it comes to brakes and modifications. Thoughts?

Traction Control Braking- TCB Brake Systems TM- Traction Control Brakes System

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Crap :), all it does is restrict the flow to the brakes.

And yes, it probably does improve the performance of HD brakes , I mean, using the front *is* going to make things better right ?

Pete

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If you want to find out what it's like to have air in your brake lines, get one of these. They don't let you lock up the brakes on dry pavement because they don't let you fully apply the brakes. On wet pavement, locking is very possible.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News tested them in '95. Also mentioned in Feb '08 in their 'letter' column. In part.....All these things are is a kind of air cushion in the brake lines, separating an air chamber behind a rubber bladder of some type, which, as you would imagine, causes a mushy brake lever. They can also create residual pressure in the line when the lever is released that can cause brake drag and exaggerate brake pad wear.

·
Registered
15,431 Posts
Keith Code Super Bike School put a bit of air in the rear brakes of the KZ550 Kawi's long ago, Kept folks from locking up the rear brakes on the race course. Mostly because they didn't know how to use the brakes.
Air buffer in the brakes, only for the Harldey crowd.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
"We say "Revolutionary" because Traction Control Brakes will arguably be the Biggest Invention in the Motor Sports Industry since the Helmet. You really do get a feeling of total control in your braking

"The TCB just looks like a bolt; what makes it work?
There is a small rubber diaphragm that separates a chamber of air from the brake fluid which creates a "shock absorber" like affect to help reduce your wheels from premature locking. "

How does Traction Control Braking Work Giving You Total Braking Control? - How Traction Control Brakes Change Your Control Braking.

I remember similar diaphragm units for "high performance" car braking systems 40 years ago. No help then and probably no help now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"We say "Revolutionary" because Traction Control Brakes will arguably be the Biggest Invention in the Motor Sports Industry since the Helmet. You really do get a feeling of total control in your braking

"The TCB just looks like a bolt; what makes it work?
There is a small rubber diaphragm that separates a chamber of air from the brake fluid which creates a "shock absorber" like affect to help reduce your wheels from premature locking. "

How does Traction Control Braking Work Giving You Total Braking Control? - How Traction Control Brakes Change Your Control Braking.

I remember similar diaphragm units for "high performance" car braking systems 40 years ago. No help then and probably no help now.

These things are idiotic. If you do want air in the line, just crack the bolt for a second ad then don't bleed it out. Does the same thing. Otherwise you could go all out and get one of these. LOL

Hammer Arrestor, 3/4 In. - Water Hammer Arrestors - Fittings - 6AVD9 : Grainger Industrial Supply

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Why does this scam keep coming back? :headbang:

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Why does this scam keep coming back? :headbang:
Because people can't wrap their mind around hydraulics...
I have a book here called "handbook of hydraulics" written in 1910; it's pretty much 400 pages of formulas. I was able to extrapolate the principles from it, but it would have been a whole lot easier if someone had given me the principles first. Dammit, anyone who's ever used a toilet plunger should be able to figure this shit (no pun intended) out and work out the math for themselves.

This air-buffer thing works on the "bike-riders are idiots" principle; that's why it keeps coming back.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Innovative technology from HD? Seriously? The most effective braking system Harley ever came up with was the "lay 'er down" technique.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Innovative technology from HD? Seriously? The most effective braking system Harley ever came up with was the "lay 'er down" technique.
With all due disrespect to Hardley-Ableson, it's not from Harley -- it's an aftermarket widget that is apparently being pitched to willfully ignorant HD owners.

Of course, this and similar brake mushy-izer scams have been pitched to all kinds of riders for many years.

If you're dumb enough to bolt this onto your bike, maybe you deserve what you get.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Back in the day we would put a small air bubble in the back brake to avoid locking it up to deliberately reduce braking.

2nd was to machine out the pads

·
Registered
4 Posts
My TCB braking system bolt failed!! I installed it in early Nov. and it failed on the 22nd. I pulled hard on my front brake when a pickup made a left turn infront of me and afterwards I saw the TCB was leaking!! I told them and got more of the run around. I was offered a free bolt and my money back as they begged me not to give a bad review of the TCB brakes system. But Id rather lose a few bucks rather then having someone die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My TCB brake bolt leaked!!

I installed it in early Nov. and it failed on the 22nd. I pulled hard on my front brake when a pickup made a left turn infront of me and afterwards I saw the TCB was leaking!! I told them and got more of the run around. I was offered a free bolt and my money back as they begged me not to give a bad review of the TCB brakes system. But Id rather lose a few bucks rather then having someone die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a totally DANGEROUS product! I installed my TCB III Revolution bolt mid November and it started leaking after I grabbed the front brake hard. It took a long time to get an email from them as if there TCB braking bolt leaking isnt a big deal!!

There isnt any REAL independent labrotory tests or official government tests just half ass horse shit tests and paid reviews. Now they say it isnt there product and that is total BS!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a totally DANGEROUS product! I installed my TCB III Revolution bolt mid November and it started leaking after I grabbed the front brake hard. It took a long time to get an email from them as if there TCB braking bolt leaking isnt a big deal!!

There isnt any REAL independent laboratory tests or official government tests just half ass tests and paid reviews. I should have trusted Harley Davidsons millions of dollars in research and development over this BS company.

Now they say it isnt there product and that is total BS!!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Ridehard, whether you're a real person or some sort of internet revenge-bot, it's obvious you haven't read the rest of this thread and that you likely don't even own a V-Strom.

We've already quite adequately explained that the product is an old scam. Whether it's well-made or not is sort of beside the point; even if it didn't break or leak, it's dangerous junk.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Shorter Stopping Distance and Better Braking Control than Motorcycle Antilock Brakes or Stock Brakes
Wow! Apparently this gizmo even increases adhesion between the tire and road surface. Or it modifies the laws of physics regarding inertia. Either way it's pretty impressive.

But as snake-oilish as this thing is I will give them credit for at least acknowledging something I have been critical of for many years -- the fact that it is WAY too easy to lock up the rear wheel on most street bikes. Yes, it would be nice if all of us could modulate our braking like Valentino Rossi, but the reality of panic braking is that it is very hard to do that. I don't know if accident statistics are broken down this way, but I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of single-bike accidents while negotiating a curve too fast are from overbraking, locking up the rear and subsequent high-side.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
This guy's obviously a Harley rider who is looking for every TCB mention in forums to express his displeasure. That's tolerable so far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts