StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you run the engine to do the sync when the fuel tank/ fuel pump is not installed. Ive watched videos and in all of them they are performing the task at hand with no tank... I'm so confused.

·
Registered
321 Posts
How do you run the engine to do the sync when the fuel tank/ fuel pump is not installed. Ive watched videos and in all of them they are performing the task at hand with no tank... I'm so confused.
I just raise the tank and squeeze my hand to reach for the screw and just try to rotate it by two fingers and tumb.

I ran rubber tubing extensions to the side so it takes 5 min to do TBS... Last Thursday I changed spark plugs and decided to do TBS as well. Put idle to 1500 RPM and did what I wanted.

It's a tight squeeze through... On DL1000 it's easier if you remove the grill attachment on the right side, but removing that grill takes as much effort as squeezing hand...

Maybe we can engineer screw extension and just install a knob on the side? Just like those flexible screwdriver or drill extensions? :thumbdown:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is that I already have the tank removed. I want to do the TBS today without putting it all back together as I need a new air filter which I can't get till tomorrow. ThAts if my local dealer has them in stock.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Just put the front bolt in, no nut needed. Then prop up the rear with the pieces supplied.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I "got er done". Wow what a difference!
I got to say I cannot believe what one has to go through just to change an air filter on this baby. The reason I pulled the tank. did the TBS since I was already that far in.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I felt the same way at first. However, after you've done it a couple of more times you'll be able to do it in a matter of 10 or 15 minutes and think nothing about doing it.

G

·
Assuming that vacuum hose extensions are in place there's no reason whatsoever to remove the tank to perform a TBS. A TBS can be performed simply by removing the right side panel and black "boomerang". Once you know what you are doing you can do it by "loosening" the side panel and working your hand in to the set screw. You should remove the side panels the first few times so you can see what you are doing. Taking the tank off involves a series of steps that waste time and make a simple porceedure more complex than it needs to be.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Assuming that vacuum hose extensions are in place there's no reason whatsoever to remove the tank to perform a TBS. A TBS can be performed simply by removing the right side panel and black "boomerang". Once you know what you are doing you can do it by "loosening" the side panel and working your hand in to the set screw. You should remove the side panels the first few times so you can see what you are doing. Taking the tank off involves a series of steps that waste time and make a simple porceedure more complex than it needs to be.
Used to be some real nice write-ups with pics on this site.:yesnod:

·
Registered
168 Posts
With a Motion Pro 90 degree screw driver and a flashlight I do mine every oil change - no hassle, no lifting the tank & no roached fingers. I leave the vacuum port tubes in place and plugged unless they're hooked up to my home-made balancer/mullet-ometer.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Ok, silly question from a newby: where did they go?? Planning to do the TBS sometime this fall/winter and can use all the pics I can get...
Yeah, MightyShep................ Just where did they go.... Hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
FYI

Used auto vacuum hose and brought both vacuum taps out to under the seat.

They are connected together than I could check TBS anytime with just the seat off

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Once you know what you are doing you can do it by "loosening" the side panel and working your hand in to the set screw.
Of course if you have man sized hands you could use a set of long needle nose pliers. :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts