StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Taxes"- We have them in the Harley world. What Taxes do you guys have to pay?

Took me a few days to figure out what they were talking about on the Harley forums. Everyone kept saying taxes this and that. FYI: Taxes to a Harley include some obvious things. A pipe. You HAVE to have an aftermarket pipe on your Harley- end of statement. Carb adjustments, tires, intake etc. These are all required to make a Harley do almost anything.

So what about the vstom? I know that many of the bikes are plagued with a miss. Luckily mine has been fixed. What other stuff do I need to look at?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I know that many of the bikes are plagued with a miss.
A miss??? First time I've heard of this. Mechanically these bikes (Wee-Stroms, anyway) are essentially bulletproof.

The addiction to aftermarket goodies and farkles is about the same among Harley and 'Strom owners, IMHO. The big difference is that H-D guys tend to go for the non-functional flash and chrome, while 'Strommers go for that do-it-all adventure image. But for both there is a pretty obvious orthodoxy about doodads to install on the bike. Basically it's everything in the Screaming Eagle catalog on one side, everything in the Twisted Throttle catalog on the other.:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I'm not aware of anything for the stroms that you HAVE to have but there are a few things many add to make maintenance tasks easier and reduce potential crash damage and reduce potential problems down the road and increase comfort. For example I have a center stand, crash bars, aftermarket seat, headlight relay, luggage, tank bag, led voltage monitor, heated gear.
I've not heard of any 650's plagued with a miss. Some reports of headlights out which alone at night is a no go situation. Headlight relay should eliminate that scenario.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think the two things that get replaced or modified on V Stroms the most are windshields and seats.

·
Registered
831 Posts
1K: In terms of "taxes", the only costs that might qualify here are Shelby's clutch basket for perceived/actual chudder issues, and/or a fuel injection module to fix the lean fuel mapping between 3-4K rpm.

650: None.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Carb adjustments, tires, intake etc. These are all required to make a Harley do almost anything.
You get a carburator adjustment on a new Harley and I'd be happy to sell you a 55 galllon drum of blinker fluid for your V-Strom.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
A miss??? First time I've heard of this. Mechanically these bikes (Wee-Stroms, anyway) are essentially bulletproof.

The addiction to aftermarket goodies and farkles is about the same among Harley and 'Strom owners, IMHO. The big difference is that H-D guys tend to go for the non-functional flash and chrome, while 'Strommers go for that do-it-all adventure image. But for both there is a pretty obvious orthodoxy about doodads to install on the bike. Basically it's everything in the Screaming Eagle catalog on one side, everything in the Twisted Throttle catalog on the other.:green_lol:
Perfectly stated. I've owned both kinds of bikes, and neither one of them really needed anything major to be the kind of motorcycle it was supposed to be (as long as you think of the Strom as a very good UJM, and not a true dual sport). Both bikes benefit from the thousands of dollars you could theoretically throw at them for everything from engine mods to accessories, but neither one needs it to be a fun and reliable bike to ride. Out of everything I've bought for my 2012 V-strom, I'd say the only things I considered necessary were the radiator guard and some sort of protection for the oil filter. I've had impacts in both areas on the bike, and I was glad for the extra protection.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
My add-ons are in my sig. Pretty basic. None were expensive. Unlike many, I never felt a need to replace the seat or windshield or add a fork brace. The only thing I *might* do differently next time is omit the center stand, because it adds weight and reduces lean angle... could get pit stands for the garage instead.

Also did one optional replacement, the regulator, as an attempt to preserve stator life.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You get a carburator adjustment on a new Harley and I'd be happy to sell you a 55 galllon drum of blinker fluid for your V-Strom.
Tanks.:biggrinjester: My FXDX is a 99 model- Carbed. But I have been running drastically low on blinker fluid. Ever since the EPA got involved with the stuff it's hard to find. What are you getting for 55 gallons of the stuff?

1K: In terms of "taxes", the only costs that might qualify here are Shelby's clutch basket for perceived/actual chudder issues, and/or a fuel injection module to fix the lean fuel mapping between 3-4K rpm.

650: None.
The fuel mapping issue is what I was talking about. Rode a couple of Vstroms before buying mine, the other two had a bad spot that needed something.

Looks like I'm good to go.

My FARCLE list now includes
1. Rear trunk (ordered)
2. Engine guards (Would like to find a good deal on some)
3. Bash plate (Looks like that pipe is sitting pretty low for something that will get used off road)
4. Bark Busters
5. Power Commander (Guessing a V model as the III has been discontinued)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Took me a few days to figure out what they were talking about on the Harley forums. Everyone kept saying taxes this and that. FYI: Taxes to a Harley include some obvious things. A pipe. You HAVE to have an aftermarket pipe on your Harley- end of statement. Carb adjustments, tires, intake etc. These are all required to make a Harley do almost anything.
When purchasing a Valkyrie from the local Honda/ Harley shop recall the owner stating at one point "every motorcycle is a starter kit". Damned if it hasn't worked out that way. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
He didn't say NEW, just Harley. The MoCo held on to carburetion longer than most.

·
Registered
49 Posts
taxes?

i dont know......ive had the bike for 6000 miles/7 months, and i have not done anything other than make a new rear rack and add a centerstand (should have come with one!!)

for christmas, got me some peg lowering brackets, after a 400 mile day, my knees are a bit sore, doesnt need em, but i figured id give em a shot.

i havent even adjusted the handlebars/mirrors on this bike, it fit me straight out of the box, i did lower the stock windscreen to the lowest setting.

this is on a 2012 dl650a2...... bought new in early may of 13.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Tanks.:biggrinjester: My FXDX is a 99 model- Carbed. But I have been running drastically low on blinker fluid. Ever since the EPA got involved with the stuff it's hard to find. What are you getting for 55 gallons of the stuff?
I'll take your stock pipes off your hands and sell them back to you when your tinnutis finally becomes intolerable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'll take your stock pipes off your hands and sell them back to you when your tinnutis finally becomes intolerable.
Was it you or Janice that offered to sell me monthly reminder stickers for changing the air in my tires?

I need some more....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My uncle's last two Harley baggers were left stock, he changed the seat once on the Glide but, it was an OEM item. Its rare but some do leave the Hogs stock.

Every bike I've owned needed a taller windshield, thats because I'm 6'-4" tall though.

To me the must haves better known as "wants" are a better seat, grip puppies or something, a cramp buster, tall shield and a Power Commander to fix the lean DL1000 issues. But, I do that to all bikes usually. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I am not a Japanese ballerina.

In a word, suspension.

In a tradition dating back over 50 years and continuing unabated to the present day, just about every last Japanese bike to hit these shores, including the V-Strom, has arrived with totally inadequate suspension.

Unless you're an anorexic ballerina, the springing and damping rates make absolutely no sense.

In fact, many bikes arrive with suspension incapable of supporting the bike's weight, let alone any sort of rider and a full gas tank. Hold a bone-stock Suzuki or Kawasaki vertical with no rider aboard, and much of the time the suspension sags through 1/3 or more of its travel. It would literally not cost the manufacturer one additional nickel to at least get the spring rates in the ballpark, yet even after all these decades, they can't seem to manage it. (Granted, a few sportbike models have decent suspension from the factory, as long as you're built like wee Dani Pedrosa.)

Or read the reports about the new Yamaha triple, the FZ-09. The reviews are glowing, rapturous -- they got everything exactly right. Except the squishy, shitty suspension. So each new owner is stuck shelling out several hundred bucks minimum to make their shiny new wunder-bike safe and rideable.

Makes me crazy. Can ya tell?

·
Registered
714 Posts
1) Set sag and proper suspension setup for your weight/style/ability
2) Seat
3) Handlebars (and/or risers)
4) Fork brace
5) Madstat

For $1000 this makes the bike a pleasure to own and ride. Consider it as part of the purchase price and you'll still be many dollars ahead of the closest comparison to the Strom for an 80/20 ADV bike which is the Honda NCX.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts