StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to ride Tatham Gap Tuesday morning if anyone wishes to join me in Robbinsville, NC.

PM if interested.

Stosh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, am often free on wknds. Definitely a good riding location. Don't go on the Tail of the Dragon on wknds though...no fun and too many crazies.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Just south of Robbinsville on 1113/114 is a circular structure that looks like a meteor strike or a volcanoe vent.
When looking at the google image of the road, seems like Darrel and his other brother Darrell live there. I swear i could hear banjo music. Y'all be careful in the woods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

OK, travelled the road North to South (Robbinsville to Andrews) this morning. Fairly well maintained gravel road in the National Forest that goes up and over over a ridge. Is about 9 miles. Highest point (in the gap) is about 3600 feet. Robbinsville is at about 2000 feet so it is a decent climb. Steep in places but I think it would be a walk in the park for dual sport riders with experience.

Did almost all the gravel trip in 2d gear, taking it at about 15-20 mph. I'm a novice gravel rider and have about a year and 8000 miles on the DL650. Went too slowly on an uphill turn, killed the engine, dumped the bike. Drug it around perpendicular to the slope to right it, then pressed on up the ridge. Another scratch or two on the beast.

Am glad I did the trip. Weather was unpleasantly cold (40 degrees F) on the ride out, but very nice after 9:00am. Colors are changing in the mountains and it was absolutely gorgeous in the sunlight! US 74 by the Nantahala and Tuckasegee Rivers is a nice pavement ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Mandatory photo of my 2014 DL650 on the road. Yep, I know I should not have parked it on a slight downhill without a chock in place! The road has a lot of quarter-sized gravel on most of it, not thick, but enough to make it very uncomfortable for some folks. There is almost nothing on the road. I assume it is maintained for its historical significance and to provide fire fighting access to the ridge.

·
Registered
859 Posts

OK, travelled the road North to South (Robbinsville to Andrews) this morning. Fairly well maintained gravel road in the National Forest that goes up and over over a ridge. Is about 9 miles. Highest point (in the gap) is about 3600 feet. Robbinsville is at about 2000 feet so it is a decent climb. Steep in places but I think it would be a walk in the park for dual sport riders with experience.

Did almost all the gravel trip in 2d gear, taking it at about 15-20 mph. I'm a novice gravel rider and have about a year and 8000 miles on the DL650. Went too slowly on an uphill turn, killed the engine, dumped the bike. Drug it around perpendicular to the slope to right it, then pressed on up the ridge. Another scratch or two on the beast.

Am glad I did the trip. Weather was unpleasantly cold (40 degrees F) on the ride out, but very nice after 9:00am. Colors are changing in the mountains and it was absolutely gorgeous in the sunlight! US 74 by the Nantahala and Tuckasegee Rivers is a nice pavement ride.
Go on the Cherohala Skyway and look for a waterfall - Bear something or another. The road going in forks - I think the left fork goes to a recreational riding area - you can go practice your offroad woodsy skillz there.
Indian Boundary lake has some nice little roads that go all around and very little traffic.
Joyce Kilmer National Forest is by there - they have some of the old growth there. We measured around an oak there and it took 9 or 10 of us touching fingertips to encircle it. Impressive big ass trees. You can go via Robbinsville over to NC and take back roads to Occoee which has some nice roads and scenery - maybe even go down to Chattanooga and head out the back roads off Lookout Mtn.
So many nice rides there. You can take I-24 to Monteagle and head off the back road to Tracey City- more than a few waterfalls worth seeing, notably Fall Creek Falls which is some nice scenic riding.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
"without a chock in place!"

That's why lots of folks but a pricey wide foot on the side stand or a DIY bit of plastic or metal.
Much less worry about where you park.

·
Registered
859 Posts
"without a chock in place!"

That's why lots of folks but a pricey wide foot on the side stand or a DIY bit of plastic or metal.
Much less worry about where you park.
Yep - makes it stand straighter instead of that feeling you're on the tipping point since it adds height. At least the one I got from Adventure Tech does.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
My We leans so far that I added a piece of 1" square tubing to the wide foot i made. One of the guys referred to it as FrankenFoot!
And I carry a chunk of 2X4 on a lanyard in the tank bag. For those really leaning occasions.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Go on the Cherohala Skyway and look for a waterfall - Bear something or another. The road going in forks - I think the left fork goes to a recreational riding area - you can go practice your offroad woodsy skillz there..
I love riding this area once a year if I can swing it. Not sure if you are talking about this area - I took River Road which runs south off the Cherohala Skyway, very close to Telico Plains. It will take you past Bald River Falls which is quite nice. By accident, I also took the North River road, which is easy twisty gravel loop. You can link it with a few other roads and get yourself down to Murphy.

A view of the river along River Road:

A view of Bald River Falls:

Did almost all the gravel trip in 2d gear, taking it at about 15-20 mph. I'm a novice gravel rider and have about a year and 8000 miles on the DL650. Went too slowly on an uphill turn, killed the engine, dumped the bike. Drug it around perpendicular to the slope to right it, then pressed on up the ridge. Another scratch or two on the beast..
A few other sweet roads:
I headed out and made my way back over to Wayah Rd. This time I was going to check out a road that intersects with it called Otter Creek Rd, which invariably leads to Telico Rd. On a map they looked pretty awesome. Once I was on this stretch, it had no idea just how awesome. This was undoubtedly on the of the highlights of my trip. First of all, it was a gravel/dirt/mud ascent and descent along a very quiet area. I did not see anyone the whole time I was on it and it also made me aware of the need to be careful - it would have been easy to go over the edge and no one find me or me be unable to call for help due to no cell signals in this area. I crested up this beautiful and very technical dirt road to where the hydro lines sit at the top of this mountain. The view was unreal and from this pic below, I was nowhere near the top of this particular climb.

Another one I've really wanted to ride is a road called Cove Creek Rd which leads to TN32. On my way out of the Smoky's, I did ride it and it was awesome - so crazy that it took me over 2 hours to ride around 30 miles. It was wet and a long stretch was twisty mountain gravel/mud, so I had to go a bit extra slow. Along Cove Creek Rd, like so many other parts of the south east, there were massive Rhododendrons that grow wild and it always makes for a scenic backdrop to forested areas. There was not one other vehicle the entire time I was on this stretch, so dropping my bike was not an option.

This is a map of Cove Creek Rd as it links up to TN32, where Cove Creek is not paved and TN32 in the north is immaculately paved: http://goo.gl/maps/r9mCB << check out this road - it's ridiculous.

One thing I like a lot about riding mountain roads is the endless little streams and waterfalls as you go around each bend.

This is a short video of a small section of Cove Creek Rd that also shows some of the big rhodo's all over the place.

TN32 was paved the whole way and really awesome - very tight turns, flawless pavement and overall an amazing forest road. One of my favourites!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts