StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Strom got 8500 miles out of the stock Trail Wings. I noticed on Saturday on the way home from work a "disconnected" feeling on the bike. I stopped and checked air pressure and made sure nothing was in the tread, it wasn't. I did notice that the back tire was pretty much squared off and the front tire showed quite a bit of cupping. Well, time for new tires.

I had purchased a set of Metzeler Tourance tires in preparation for changing out the stock Bridgestone tires. The tires I bought were VR rated both front and rear. After hearing many folks talk about the "Tourance Wobble" in the front, I must say that I mounted them with a whole lot of trepidation. Let me preface this by saying that I have just gone through a similar situation with my Concours. I had mounted a set of Avon ST45/46's on the bike. As I took it out for a test ride, the first time I accelerated through th 45 to 50 mph area, the bars almost pulled out of my hands. Rather disconerting to say the least.

Well, I mounted up the tires I had and aired them up according to the recommended pressures from the Metzeler website - 36 psi front, 41 psi rear. Then I got a chance to ride them this morning.

At this time, I am in love with the tires. Yes, I do understand that the biggest change in a motorcycle comes from a fresh set of tires. I am loving the feel of these tires on the V-Strom. During my commute each day, I encounter some grooved for rain concrete roads. At their best, the Bridgestones had a very vague feeling on this section of roadway. I was about halfway through this section this morning and I realized that these tires did not have the same feeling. They felt kind of planted. I ride a combination of backroads, US highway and expressways each day for about 50 miles. The bike felt great, with not a hint of a shake, wobble, weave, whistle or whatever. I am quite contented.

Just thought y'all would want to know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
"Tars" Ain't Pretty - They're Just Flat Beautiful! ...

........But they ain't too beautiful flat... :lol:

Seriously though, new tires, even the same kind, make the whole bike feel new again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I run Pilot Roads where I can on my other bikes and love 'em to death... Has anyone put a set on the Wee?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts