StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Moto was an idiot. No brake, no turn, he actually straightened out of his turn and pointed straight at them.

Definitely target fixation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well. I think that's a trap that's easy to fall into...we see a video like this and think "that guy was a fkn idiot, good thing I'm way smarter!" I've seen stuff like this happen to some really good riders...which is why I thought it worth posting, I guess.

Something to consider/be aware of, I reckon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you have read Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" you can see that rider exhibited all the "survival reactions" which don't actually help us "survive."

Survival Reactions
1. Roll-off the gas
2. Tighten on the bars
3. Narrowed field of view
4. Fixed attention
5. Steering in the direction of fixed attention
6. No steering (frozen) or ineffective steering
7. Braking errors (both over or under braking)

As I have mentioned previously, "Twist of the Wrist" is an excellent book as is the video. I learned a lot from both.

·
Registered
381 Posts
well. I think that's a trap that's easy to fall into...we see a video like this and think "that guy was a fkn idiot, good thing I'm way smarter!" I've seen stuff like this happen to some really good riders...which is why I thought it worth posting, I guess.

Exactly right, we're all WAY above that until we do it!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Always good to have a reminder of the basics.

I remember fixating on something in the road, wondering what it was but at the same time thinking I should avoid it. I did, at the last second. Banana peel - THAT would've been embarrassing...& hilarious at the same time.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

I did something like that once:

I brought my astonishly mediocre skillz hot into a downhill decreasing-radius right-hander, went wide, looked at debris I wanted to avoid in the opposite lane, forgot to stop looking at the debris, yada, yada, bent forks, bent rim, bent radiator, bent guardrail. I got to experience a lowside that became a highside.

Where the hell were you Killboy?

There is much about motorcycling that is counter-intuitive.

The smartest thing I did that morning was dress myself.

The first wrong thing I did was not downshifting. This began a sequence that could have been corrected by simply looking where I wanted to go and leaning in instead of looking where I didn't want to go. But no, I let myself get distracted, hit the brakes stood the bike up. I got to slide down the road on my back with the bike hot on my tail. Good times.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Well everyone is stating the obvious :fineprint:

The thing that got me the most was the piss poor response to the downed cyclist who took the primary impact :headbang:

This guy should have been kept on the ground and as immobile as possible, he should have been checked for obvious broken bones and other "at risk" injuries as well as being monitored for shock.

He should have been protected as much as possible from being hit again by other traffic, by placing a vehicle between him and approaching traffic, or whatever other means- such as people doing traffic control to divert traffic around the accident scene.

He was obviously the one who needed the most attention, the motorcyclist had ATGATT [full protective riding gear] and the second cyclist took less of the impact.

Yes everybody, we all need to learn not to "target fixate" [I'm guilty of doing it too]........

But PLEASE do a certified first aid course, preferably a "Level 2" or whatever your local equivalent is, there are also motorcyclist specific first aid courses available in many cases.

Not only can it help save the life of one of your riding buddies, it may also save your child/wife/parent/best mate, or maybe even someone you don't know that is loved by someone else who will be grateful to you for being capable of making a difference.

I'm Level 2 certified as a work requirement and my wife and I both did a motorcyclist specific certified course as well three years ago [time for her to do an update].

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
That's the famous turn on Mulholland Dr in the Santa Monica mountains. Lots of inept riders play in the area. I usually avoid it on weekends. Great road though!
Seems everyone knows the guy filming the corner will post all that stuff and they can buy and download their picture. Bravado gets in the way of sensibilities making a posting of shame.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
But PLEASE do a certified first aid course, preferably a "Level 2" or whatever your local equivalent is, there are also motorcyclist specific first aid courses available in many cases.
Thanks for the thoughtful advice.

My wife took the course, so I'm in good shape, eh?

A couple of weeks ago, I encountered an accident at a horrible intersection a quarter mile from my house, It involved a guy on a Goldwing trike and a young mom in an SUV.

I stayed with the guy until the EMT's arrived, telling him to stay on his back and asking him the questions that I remembered being asked after my bad accident. I really wish I knew more than asking his name, the date, and who the president was (he responded to that one angrily) and if he felt any pain (yes, the right leg). I also felt incredibly vulnerable at this crossroads with bad visibility, I later learned that other passers-by were directing traffic around us.

Ocker, you've convinced me to take a course, I hope I never need to use it and I hope I remember what I need to if I do.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Seems everyone knows the guy filming the corner will post all that stuff and they can buy and download their picture. Bravado gets in the way of sensibilities making a posting of shame.
I think I've already adequately expressed my disdain for these squid-bait operations in other threads.

Nobody ever went broke overestimating the narcissism of the motorcycling community.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with Ock's points above. The guy should have been kept immobile on the ground, especailly after the way he landed on his shoulders/neck/back of head.

That turn gets a lot of riders out of sorts, as it tightens up slightly as you're going through it. My avatar photo is actually from a few years ago going downhill through that same turn :angel_4:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I also felt incredibly vulnerable at this crossroads with bad visibility, I later learned that other passers-by were directing traffic around us.
I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put a couple of traffic flares into the tool tube for situations like Norman's. Do get the first aid training. You might end up helping yourself by guiding the people who are dragging you out of the ditch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The video significantly shortens the sequence of events and doesn't show everything.

One of the other cyclists, who was on the scene within a minute or so of the incident was a trauma doc who also happens to be chief medical officer for the Amgen Tour of California. The downed cyclist was moved only after the doctor arrived, examined him and determined it was safe and desirable to do so. That's why you can see them holding a shade over him. He laid there for a lot longer than is obvious in the video while the doctor examined him.

There are always a couple of law enforcement vehicles in the area. SOP for accidents along there is to warn/slow/stop traffic well below the curve where there's still time for drivers/riders to slow down or stop. Again, can't see it in the video, but it happened.

Motorcycle was impounded because the rider had no registration or proof of insurance.

And yeah, I'm surprised nobody stabilized his head prior to the doctor's arrival. I would have.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Has anyone noticed that, on the original Youtube video, on the description, there is a link to my "Cornering Panic" article? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im glad this thread was started. I never realized all of the things I have been doing wrong. Target fixation is a bitch, this messed up my slow speed turns as well. I watched the video link and read some tips on the slow speed turn thread too. I started riding alot better in slow corners. I can turn tighter and faster with more confidence. Maybe the Dragon will be on my ride list sooner than I thought.

Steve

·
Registered
504 Posts
I really wish I knew more than asking his name, the date, and who the president was (he responded to that one angrily)
I'd be be pissed too if someone made me say that guys name...:yikes:

Back in line with the thread though can one ever expect to get past this target fixation thing? Just asking because yesterday as I was leaving the train station I had a hell of a time getting out of the parking lot... I was looking down instead of where I wanted to go...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Back in line with the thread though can one ever expect to get past this target fixation thing? ..
Practice correctly....As long as it takes to become a new habit....do it over and over.

Doing figure 8's in a big open lot, using anything that you can run over, without disturbing your balance, as points to hit, or miss. When that gets easy, put up cones that you must miss. When you do this enough, you'll find you don't really even see your bike that much, as your head is turned all the way around looking where you want to go....not where the bike currently is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts