StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Wee needed new rubber a couple months back.

I did a lot of research regarding tires based on my riding-style. I ended up ordering Continental Trail Attack 2 tires. from Motorcycle Tires Maniac

Compared to the tired original TrailWings, these Contis are AWESOME!

The old tires tended to hummmmm anytime I was slightly off-center to the left/right. (due to the blocky tread pattern) The Conti's are virtually silent at all times.

Also, the HANDLING with the Conti's is far better than the trailwings on the pavement.

Best of all... the Conti's seem to be totally impervious to tar-snakes. I have even 'followed' them while trying to sense any squirm.... NONE!

The old traiwings would squirm all over the road on the VERY SAME tar-snakes.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Good feedback.

I was considering the Conti Trail Attack II in the future, so that review helps reinforce what I have been hearing about them :thumbup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought it would help someone...

To be fair, I have not really tested the TrailAttak 2s offroad more than about 20 miles of dirt road.... but that is the most technical I prefer to get - LOL

I forgot to mention, another reason I selected the TA2 is the progressive rubber-hardness. Continental claims to have perfected manufacture of a motorcycle tire that wears like iron on the center... progressively getting sticker as you lean into a turn. Conti does this by carefully controlling the heat on the carcass during the vulcanizing process.

Only time will tell how the TA2 wears....

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
A cure for tar-snakes??? Hope this is not some sort of rubber-snake-oil.
Look forward to more reports, I have about 7000 miles of patience left on my 705's.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Same snakes but different season perhaps? Cooler weather is usually the only "cure" for tar snakes.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I thought it was the tar snakes themselves that squirmed, due to the heat of the day softening them up. Especially newer ones. In VT right now, they are probably pretty hard. I guess you'll know for sure come late June. Satch beat me to it.

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
Same snakes but different season perhaps? Cooler weather is usually the only "cure" for tar snakes.
They can be slick when it cools down too unfortunately.:furious:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A fork brace helps with these too. Rode 650 miles this weekend through a lot of tar snake infested roads (on 705's no less) and never felt any deflection.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Rode over 2500 miles on Anakee 3's and these tires are much better with tar snakes than trailwings. Grooved concrete also does not cause problems.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had the 1st generation Trail Attacks and liked them, great mileage, good feel, but they did seem to have a slower turn in than the stock TW's which was OK. I have Battlewings now which don't give a lot of feedback, and am been thinking of going back and trying the new TA. Would like to hear your opinion on them as you rack up more miles.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm due for new tires next Spring, and am in a quandary as to what to get. I love the Tourances I have on now and have no complaints with them. But I wonder about the new Conti Trail Attack II's. In looking at the picture of them, they don't exactly look like a dual sport tire. But since I spent 99% of the time on pavement, that may not be an issue. Anyone have off road experience with these tires?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
They can be slick when it cools down too unfortunately.:furious:
↑↑ This ↑↑
I'll take hot sticky flexible tar snakes over cold hard slick ones any day.
Yes, the fork brace makes a significant difference in bike stability on hot tar snakes, and all other conditions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
↑↑ This ↑↑
I'll take hot sticky flexible tar snakes over cold hard slick ones any day.
Yes, the fork brace makes a significant difference in bike stability on hot tar snakes, and all other conditions.
Ugh... cold and wet ones I hate the most....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ugh... cold and wet ones I hate the most....
Hit one of these on a curve at speed and nearly lost it. Figures that my original TWs have fewer than 6k on them, so I guess the countdown begins...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have not had a significant tar snake experience but did have a new asphalt power slide in a round-about on a wet day. I traded out the 10k mile TWs the next day for some Anakee 3s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts