StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read Black Labs install, then I took some short cuts. I did not remove the fork brace or the fender, just dropped the whole assembly minus the tire. It's a little harder to feed the fork tube back thru the clamps but not a big deal.

Getting the race off the bottom of the steering stem required cutting it with a Dremel. This ruins the dust seal(51644), so it must be replaced. On my 2015 the top dust seal(51643) is reusable. Since I was using tapered bearings I added the washer on top of the top bearing to keep it from rubbing on the seal(don't remember that part number).

I used the old small race to pound the new race onto the stem shaft. Once you get within a half an inch you cant use that old race anymore so I used a small punch and carefully tapped the inside of the new race alternating side to side. Having the stem base chucked in a vise was a big help for this.

As far as torquing the top nut on final assembly, I really think it requires some luck and maybe some ground Unicorn horn dust. On my '07 years ago I did it too tight creating a 'weave' at speeds above 30 mph. This requires the upper bracket removal again and a loosening of the nut. This time, using the proper stem nut socket off ebay
( DL1000 or DL650 Steering Stem Socket Wrench DHS-4131-1 | eBay )

I tightened it while on the centerstand to two 'grunts', backed off and re-tightened to one 'grunt'. When I added the lock nut I noticed the bottom nut move with it about 1/8" of a turn. This turned out to be perfect, so the luck of the Shamrock was with me this time. While on the test ride my Garmin double socket ball arm fell off the dangling GPS cord. I had only gone one mile and back, so I jumped back on the bike and found it a mile away in the middle of the lane...and it had NOT been run over(Shamrock score's twice!)

I think It took me 3 hours working alone, no stress, no issues. So, I have an extra lower dust seal, if anyone wants it foc, PM me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since I was using tapered bearings I added the washer on top of the top bearing to keep it from rubbing on the seal(don't remember that part number).
The washer goes between the lower dust seal and lower bearing.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The washer goes between the lower dust seal and lower bearing.
Dadgummit, that's what I get for not finding that thread and re-reading it before install. Oh well, I'm going to ride is a while and see if the washer on top causes any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts