StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting a 3M clear sticker set on my vee. It took a while to do, but looks worth the effort & most parts cannot be seen unless looking for them. I watched their install video before & picked it up easily. The area around the tank filler nearly broke me, but it took to the numerous curves eventually. I definately recommend it for peace of mind when using soft luggage without racks & for those who tend to ride with the knees. I bought the full pre cut kit, but there is a large area where the S is on the sides that remains unprotected.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
What costs are you talking here?
Which alternatives did you consider?

Perhaps others, who have gone down the protective film pathway, would be kind enough to chip in, also.
(Especially re headlights.)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the entire kit for $85 US and also a squeegee thing for about $8. You get pre cut pieces in 3M for the lights, M shape of front, front fender patch for the very front and two bits for each side of the fender where the fork tube goes thru. Piece for around filler on tank and one for around side rear side of tank. Little pieces for the front edges of the fairing running down and the bit under the front indicators and the big ones for the rear where panniers would rub. It came with some shampoo, which is needed to allow it to move before squeezing out the fluid once in position. Took a couple of hours to do and they have single bits too, but I just got the lot. My Vee is silver with black sides and the silver looks great, but there are some small bubbles on the black that are a couple of mm. Hard to see unless your looking for it.

I looked at a few sights first and saw other options, but they were in sheets. These came pre cut for ease. I did not like how the tank was so I removed the film, stuck it on the fridge and did it again the next day and it looks good. Paint looks shinny and new and the film can take a fair bit before it tears.

I have previously used helicopter blade tape, but this is easier to apply and harder to spot. Make sure you watch their video as theres a knack to doing it and you can stretch parts of the film to allow for bigger curves. Make sure you do it when its not windy or dust can get on the underside of the film, although I'm guessing you have a fair bit of the red dust your way by your username. Might see you when I ride to Perth mid next year. How many bends are there across the Nullabour?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for the other info, Timr.

I wouldn't mind getting some clear film for the headlights.
But it's rather too late for the rest of the bike, which is part-way down the path to BlackLab-ism.
Clear film would only be adding insult to injury. Unless the film comes in black. (Though preferably not for the headlights.)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
A bend is the antithisis of a straight!
After I crashed my really clean 04 Black Wee, I don't think I'll worry about putting scratches on it again. I'm not going for a pristine renewal of the plastic. I thought of using rock spatter paint if I fix any of the bunged sections at all.
I salute your efforts to have the nicest bike at the meet but have given up on the personal best catgory!
The bike was really nice too.:furious:

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I wonder how that stuff will hold up under direct sunlight [as in parked at work in the sun, all day long].....will it 'yellow' up in time?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Mine hasn't "yellowed" up yet, been on for almost 2 years and I have the removable type. I installed it under my Suzuki bra and all has been great. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought the "all 3M" kit from Tankslapper, along with a squeegee. I installed one piece the triangular piece that goes on the leading edge of the front fender) and decided I didn't like it. So, I've got the rest of the kit available. I'll sell the whole thing for $50 + shipping if anyone is interested. This kit is all 3M, not tankslapper tape on the tank. PM me if interested.

-John

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used this for magnetic tankbags with awesome results. Took my time slapping it on and it was pretty much indiscernible to my eyes. Magnets straight to paint freak me out...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have used this for magnetic tankbags with awesome results. Took my time slapping it on and it was pretty much indiscernible to my eyes. Magnets straight to paint freak me out...
Ask my tank. At 1,500 miles I took my tank bag off, with a iron filled rock under the magnet. Big scratch that wont polish out :thumbdown: I just laughed and said "I guess it's not new anymore"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts