StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like the width of '12 Adventure with the oem bags on it, so I am thinking of just leaving them off except for long trips, and running a top box and tank bag all the time. I already have the top box on the bike.

I own about 4 tank bags, but they were all intended for flat top metal tanks. As you know, the V-Strom's tank is not flat and there is a lot of plastic, and magnets just arent attracted to plastic.

I am thinking about getting a tank bag that mounts to a ring on the fuel filler cap (I don't like straps), but I am put off by the expense and I am afraid wht bag will sag and rub the paint off of the tank.

I would like to hear what the collective wisdom is regarding tank bags. Pictures too, if ya got'em!

thanks

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
A common thread.

I'll contribute though, I gots me a ton of photos just begging to be posted.

I really love Wolfman bags - I think their quality is top notch, they project the right "cred" (let's be honest, it's important! :mrgreen: ), they are USA made, and they are made by a company that is a small business and a strong supporter of the ADV riding community.

The Explorer Lite is a very good bag for the Strom. It fits the sloping tank well, and is quickly and easily attached with 4 buckle straps. It's decently large to carry all the essentials for a day ride, and expands to allow for extra capacity.

The Ranier is another good choice, though it is a lot bigger and has exterior pockets as well.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Motopak tank bag

I found a Motopak GT-Mini for about $75 on ebay this fall and am impressed by it's quality. I've worn out 2 other tank bags on my Vee. This one is the best size and fit but it does need some small modifications to the supplied straps to make it fit perfectly. The magnets hold it well and the one single strap setup I use allows it to be moved easily for fill up the fuel tank.
See my October 5th post in windtogo.wordpress.com for specific details.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a Givi tanklock XS308, great bit of kit. No straps needed, and almost nothing to see when it's off the bike, and very easy to put on and take off. The modern solution to tank bags.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I'm using a Bags Connection Enduro. Base straps to tank but bags zips off base for easy removal/attachment.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm using a Bags Connection "City" EVO quick-lok bag on my 2012 DL650 and I'm very pleased. You're right, they're pricey, but not dealing with magnets or straps is worth the price of admission. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably spend the extra $40 and go with the larger "GS" model.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
A common thread.

I'll contribute though, I gots me a ton of photos just begging to be posted.

I really love Wolfman bags - I think their quality is top notch, they project the right "cred" (let's be honest, it's important! :mrgreen: ), they are USA made, and they are made by a company that is a small business and a strong supporter of the ADV riding community.

The Explorer Lite is a very good bag for the Strom. It fits the sloping tank well, and is quickly and easily attached with 4 buckle straps. It's decently large to carry all the essentials for a day ride, and expands to allow for extra capacity.

The Ranier is another good choice, though it is a lot bigger and has exterior pockets as well.
+1 I love my explorer lite

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I use a Bags Connection strap on bag when travel, and it works pretty good, though it's a pain whenever I need to fuel up. If you want an alternative to a tank bag, this is something I use. They are army surplus gas mask bags. I sewed straps on the back to fit the bags on my HB crash bars. I like them because they don't get in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I know you said that you didn't want to use a strap system bag but I do have to say I love my Wolfman Rainier tank bag in spite of it being a strap mount. Mine is mounted on my '07 Wee-Strom but should also mount on your late model V-Strom without difficulty.

I like Wolfman products so much that I have also purchased their tank panniers and their Large Expedition Dry Duffel for my back seat/luggage rack. They build pretty bullet proof stuff. Would buy all of it over again if I had it to do again.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
13 Posts
+1 on the Givi Tanklock Bag.

I have the smaller TPH02, which is around 4-5 litres.

More here:
TPH02 Tanklock Tank Bag | A Pair of Stroms
I have the same thing. Another plus of the Givi Tanklock system is they have a wide range of sizes, so for everyday riding i use the one above which is large enough for wallet, cellphones, keys, sun glasses, and an iPad mini plus more. But if you need something bigger for longer rides, they have those available and use the same mount on your bike so you don't have to worry about a bigger bag not fitting.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I have the same thing. Another plus of the Givi Tanklock system is they have a wide range of sizes, so for everyday riding i use the one above which is large enough for wallet, cellphones, keys, sun glasses, and an iPad mini plus more. But if you need something bigger for longer rides, they have those available and use the same mount on your bike so you don't have to worry about a bigger bag not fitting.
Yeah, they have a lot of different shape/sized bags, it's a versatile system :yesnod:

I have my eye on the new 3D604. It's like the TPH02 in that it's pre-formed, but has more capacity :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I know you said that you didn't want to use a strap system bag
I got the impression he was considering all options except magnetic, with a preference to the tank ring mounts, but unsure due to cost and possible paint wear (which I would think wouldn't be a factor in the tank ring mount version). :confused:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm going to be using a KTM 950/990 tank bag on my 2012 DL650. I already had a magnetic tank bag that I fit on a couple of my previous bikes and did try in on the vstrom, but with the shape of the tank & the plastic on the sides it wouldn't work properly so I had to get something else. I also looked at the Explorer lite, but would have to order it and the KTM bag was local.

The big issue with magnetic is, more possibility of scratching the tank as the magnetics will pick up anything magnetic so you have to be really careful with them. I always put a layer of that non slip stuff ( can't remember the name ) under the tank bag to act as a barrier between the tank & the bag and I had no troubles with any scratches. I also used one of the straps to tie it down as they have been know to blow off the bike.

To me there is not really a lot of difference between the filler mount bags and the strap down variety. Both have to be removed for fueling, one you twist and turn lift off, the other you undo 2 quick release buckles and flip up. True the tie down ones are more involved to remove completely but many have zippers to remove them from the mount and they don't move around if they are tied down properly. So buy the one in the size that fits your needs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have the Bags Connect City and it works great. It's a bit expensive but I also bought the mounting ring for my FJR so I can use it on both bikes. Fits great, has all the room I need and is very well made (as it should be at that price point).

Gary

·
Registered
286 Posts
The big issue with magnetic is, more possibility of scratching the tank as the magnetics will pick up anything magnetic so you have to be really careful with them. I always put a layer of that non slip stuff ( can't remember the name ) under the tank bag to act as a barrier between the tank & the bag and I had no troubles with any scratches. I also used one of the straps to tie it down as they have been know to blow off the bike.
the Suzuki bag comes with that clear stuff, but i didn't bother putting it on.. no scratches yet though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wolfman Large Expedition is expandable/huge and waterproof. It's kind of in the way when standing on the pegs, especially when expanded, but not while sitting. Between that and my small tailbag it's all I really need for overnighters or weekends if I'm not camping. -al

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have my eye on the new 3D604. It's like the TPH02 in that it's pre-formed, but has more capacity :thumbup:
I like the look of this one, also like your original one with the no contact/rubbing paint, dyu think this larger one will still sit proud of paint like the smaller one?

cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts