StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if a magnetic tankbag will damage a digital camera or erase the contents of the photo card in the camera? I'd like to put my camera in the tank bag, but I don't know if that will potentially damage it in any way. Thanx.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've never had a problem with my camera/bag setup.

I guess there's an easy way to find out if the card or its contents can be damaged by the magnet.

Jamie

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
I carry my digital camera and spare memory cards in my magnetic tank bag and have not had any problems.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I think it is only a potential problem if the devices/cards are resting against the magnetic underside.
Only AC magnetic fields erase media, not static fields from magnets.

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
The photo cards do not store data magnetically (they use Flash Memory), so unless you have an extremely strong magnetic field that can generate powerful electrical currents in the card then there should be no issue at all. At least one of my pocket cameras uses a magnet for the latch of the case.

I doubt that you need to worry about the magnet on the tank bag.

Having said that, magnetizing the camera could cause other issues that you probably would want to avoid.

..Tom

Can anyone tell me if a magnetic tankbag will damage a digital camera or erase the contents of the photo card in the camera? I'd like to put my camera in the tank bag, but I don't know if that will potentially damage it in any way. Thanx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts