StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

looking for recommendations on tank pads for a '18 xt. I don't want them to cover the black strips on the yellow/black model so I'm looking for something narrow.

Unlike my '15 650, the metal tank is fully exposed and knees rub constantly on it. For traction, and protection purposes I wouldn't mind adding some pads.

·
Registered
320 Posts
also interested

I've looked at the TechSpec ones(for L14-L16) , but like mentioned by OP the tank design is covered by the grips

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run the TechSpec that indeed covers the silver/black decal some, and I love it. I searched high and low for another option, to no avail. A suggestion would be ordering either rubberized strips or tape off amazon and simply cut/overlap to size. There are a few generic units floating around, but they're not nearly as nice as the TechSpecs. I suppose you could take a knife to the TS's, but that's an expensive oops if it doesn't go well!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Won’t give any more traction than the bare tank, but Suzuki does have a clear tank protector that will keep the sides of the tank from getting scuffed. When I bought mine for my V2 I didn’t see it offered in the USA (don’t remember if Canada had them or not) and ended up getting them from Suzuki UK.
Did a quick look and Suzuki Canada has that pad in their accessory catalog It’s just under $20 It’s really just clear Vinyl custom cut to the sides of the tank, not much different than those clear bras that some car dealers put on the leading edge of auto hoods. Applies with soapy a water solution so shouldn’t leave a residue if you ever want to remove it later on. Still no listing in the USA though...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Check Amazon and eBay for both Stomp Grip and Tech Spec Snake Skin tank pads. Both offer uncut sheets that will allow you to custom cut/fit to your needs.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I made some tank side pads for my Vee for track days, primarily. I have a bunch of adhesive, dense foam rubber material that I would sell or give to you guys. Just give me some overall dimensions and I can see if I have enough for your needs. PM me or email [email protected] If you just respond to this post, I may not see it. Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won’t give any more traction than the bare tank, but Suzuki does have a clear tank protector that will keep the sides of the tank from getting scuffed. When I bought mine for my V2 I didn’t see it offered in the USA (don’t remember if Canada had them or not) and ended up getting them from Suzuki UK.
Did a quick look and Suzuki Canada has that pad in their accessory catalog It’s just under $20 It’s really just clear Vinyl custom cut to the sides of the tank, not much different than those clear bras that some car dealers put on the leading edge of auto hoods. Applies with soapy a water solution so shouldn’t leave a residue if you ever want to remove it later on. Still no listing in the USA though...
I like the idea. It must provide better traction than a slick clear coat pain job. Clear would be nicer to keep the yellow style.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good call brother. $10 each and they have three options. Full tank clear, half tank clear, half tank black. I ordered the black.

I put pics in the following thread:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-products/424723-tank-guards-pain-protectors-14-dl1000.html#post5402019

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some pics of the $10 Suzuki tank pads. Appear to be high quality and a funky liquid based install with a squeegee which dries perfectly and flat. Really happy with these. FYI, one box comes with two for L and R. The dealer thought I needed two boxes, so I have a spare pair now.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts