StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all: My speedohealer arrived today and I have been reviewing the installation procedure for a DL1000. The photos show the bike with it's tank off. I presume it is nessecary in order to get at the factory connector. Or can you do it all by just removing the side panel???

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did not remove my tank, you'll find the connector down in the vee of the frame on the left hand side. it was a little tricky to get to it but not too bad. getting the connector apart is the challenge, study it carefully to see how it comes apart

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Depends on how teeny-tiny your hands are. Connector is behind the frame section, on the left. I had my tank off and it was a breeze to install. Pull the tank, its not that hard, you'll learn something and you can tidy up your new wiring.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on how teeny-tiny your hands are. Connector is behind the frame section, on the left. I had my tank off and it was a breeze to install. Pull the tank, its not that hard, you'll learn something and you can tidy up your new wiring.
This is my first bike with an integrated faring. I am a bit hesitant removing the tank. I read the manual which describes the steps needed to raise the tank but not remove it.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
It isn't that difficult.

Once you have the tank tilted and resting on the clamp that holds it in place, it is not very difficult to remove it. The manual does a good job of explaining the steps ... well, it's better than the cockeyed-Jinglish stuff I am used to seeing from Mr. Honda!

Courage!

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
This is my first bike with an integrated faring. I am a bit hesitant removing the tank. I read the manual which describes the steps needed to raise the tank but not remove it.
Too bad you didn't post this earlier. I was in Grand Rapids for most of last week. I would have come by and helped you tear it apart. (of course, you'd be on your own for the back-together part ;) )

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I had to remove the tank on mine. I did not see a way to get to the connector from the side. Even then I had to dig for the connector. Take your time if you remove the tank, you will learn about the Strom, and know how to check/change the air filter as well. All the lines/wires going to the tank are easy to remove and replace. The hard part the first time is spreading the fairing to remove the tank. Might be a little scary the first time, but after that, no big deal!! Good luck on what ever way you go. :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Take off the chin piece under the headlights first. The two screws in the front vents, 5 small plastic rivets and 2 large ones are all easily accessible. Then the side screws in front of the side panels are out in the open. It is so much easier that way.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm installing the same this weekend and removing the tank is easy. If you get it to a point where you can do a "tank lift", you're one bolt away from removing it completely. Do it once and you'll see how easy Suzuki designed it.

I can't help but mention not to forget the secret screw on the side panel. It's easy to miss and easy to break. :) http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/MotorcyclePics/photo#4998902971393900562

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
O.K., I must be nuts!! I have never taken the front of the fairing off to remove the tank.
1) I take both black side covers off,(1 screw each).
2) Then the small top trim in front of the tank. 2 screws, 2 plastic keepers.
3) Then the seat.
4) The rear tank mount bolt.
5) The front tank mount bolt.
6) 2 fairing screws, (1 on each side near back).
7) Lift rear of tank and remove lines and electric plug.
8) Grap the front and rear of the tank and lift out.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it works for me and I can have the tank off in less then 5 minutes.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It works. It also has a risk of scratching the tank or the cowling sides if not careful.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been called an idiot many times so I won't take offense....

How do you remove the two "plastic keepers" without ruining them completely?

D'oh! I've never been successful at removing these fasteners in the past.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been called an idiot many times so I won't take offense....

How do you remove the two "plastic keepers" without ruining them completely?

D'oh! I've never been successful at removing these fasteners in the past.
I assume you are talking about the round black retainers above the tank?? If so, just push in the small button in the middle with a small hex wrench or phillips driver. THen pull the whole thing out. To replace, pull the middle pin up, push assembly into hole, and push middle pin flush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts