StromTrooper banner

Tank Grip Pads?

3107 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  garandman
A lot of sport bikes have some sort of tank grip pads on the fuel tank. They make a big difference under heavy braking or high lean-angle cornering. Example.

I bought a generic TechSpec SnakeSkin set because they don't make one for the V-Strom. Anyone else apply one? There's a lot of frame and tank area and I'm not sure what will work best. It's possible but not easy to move once applied.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Hi guy!

What's the cost of the pads?

I was thinking of chiffon, but the snakeskin looks like it'd work better.

A lot of sport bikes have some sort of tank grip pads on the fuel tank. They make a big difference under heavy braking or high lean-angle cornering. Example.

I bought a generic TechSpec SnakeSkin set because they don't make one for the V-Strom. Anyone else apply one? There's a lot of frame and tank area and I'm not sure what will work best. It's possible but not easy to move once applied.

· Registered
307 Posts
Would love to see what you ended up with. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I made a custom set of Techspec in the Fusion pattern for a previous bike, and was very happy with the results. The folks at Techspec recommended the Fusion for custom patterns, as it's easier to get a clean-looking edge with this vs the snakeskin.

The issue I see with the Wee is that my knees are pressed mostly against the plastic side panels vs the tank, and I'm not quite sure how well the Techspec will adhere to the plastic. I'd also likely put some on the tank, but I'm not quite sure how much of the sides of the tank I'd need to apply to.

· Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take a pic. I saved a pattern and only used half the material, so my plan is to find someone who wants the other set.

I don't have a grinding wheel so I used a Dremel wheel to grind the edges. It came out pretty well for being done in a track garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.