StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings again stromer guys, I am just full of questions here lately. Hope you don't mind one more. How to remove large decals on 2011 gas tank. Thanks and keep on ridin.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I removed those awful (sorry guys) decals as soon as I bought the bike.
I grabbed the wife's hairdryer and on a sunny hot day decided to go to work.

Just heat the decal at one point. I also used a new small plastic scraper to help with the work. Once the decal gets hot, very gently scrape with the scraper and lift a corner of the decal. You can use your fingers but the decal may be very hot.
Next start peeling with your fingers. It starts peeling fairly easy, but you have to keep at it with the heat. My hairdryer overheated a few times. Just wait and let it cool down to reset the internal breaker.

The decal peeled off in several small and large strips. I next used a product called Goo-Gone to take off any remaining glue.

All in all it took a couple hours of easy work and 3 or 4 beers.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
After being chided here on the forum for still having the warning stickers in place, I went about removing them.

I used paint thinner from Ace Hardware, heat gun and plastic tool from Harbor Freight. The tool was from the auto body section I believe.

BE EXTRA CAREFUL WITH THE HEAT GUN.

Start slow and hold it back 8-12 inches for no more than 10-15 sec. It gets extremely hot very quickly! Touch the tank to make sure you're not going to burn your paint.

Once the decal is heated a bit, take the scraper and start at the edges and gently scrape it off.

Wipe off the residue with a little paint thinner on a rag. Wash with soap and water. (Goo Gone did not work nearly as well as paint thinner.)

I'd say it took 10-15 minutes to remove both decals.

This shows when it was removed and before I cleaned up the last bits with paint thinner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Few months late to the party but I have used a 3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel since my days working in a Auto Collision Shop. It does wonders for pin striping and the goo removal. Many friends ask me how to get rid of the double sided tape after removing trim and badges on their cars, show em this every time. Just be careful not to stay in one spot too long on plastics or fresh paint, the heat will start melting stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts