StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my tank cover off but the bolt on the left side will not come out with a 4mm hex key. I've tried everything I can think of and am at the point of drilling the head off. What does this bolt fasten to? Anyone else have any issues getting these bolts out?

·
Registered
488 Posts
they rust unfortunately

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
If you are speaking of the tank ring around the 'gas cap' some of those bolts are FAKE!
Get a good flashlight and look through the gap between the tank and the ring, you'll be able to figure out which ones are bolts, and which are not...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am trying to get my tank cover off but the bolt on the left side will not come out with a 4mm hex key. I've tried everything I can think of and am at the point of drilling the head off. What does this bolt fasten to? Anyone else have any issues getting these bolts out?
Try getting some WD-40, PB-Blaster, or other corrosion lube around the head and let it soak for a day or two. Try tightening and loosening the bolt a tiny bit to work in the lube. Those little bolts will corrode and stick, particularly the ones that screw into the tank. Try several allen keys and if needed, grind the end flat so you get as much bit as possible on the head. If you have to drill the one on the tank, be careful as there isn't much behind it except the tank. Once you get all the screws out, smear a little grease on the threads of every single bolt. It helps in the future.

Best of luck!
Steve

Steve

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I have had success slightly grinding the next larger allen head so its a little tapered and can be tapped in and bite.

Tapping the head a little can "break" some corrosion

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I'll try the last one first. I've tried tapping the bolt, but since I can't get a wrench to bite it won't turn either way. Henry, these are the bolts on the side of the tank, where the tank cover bolts up.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
If you end up drilling the head off as a last resort, be careful with the heat generated when drilling........it can melt surrounding plastic. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I used a dremmel with a saw head, cut a single slot across the top of the bolt and removed it with a big flat screwdriver, then I replaced that bolt and all the others with newer fasteners..... and if it is the deep recessed in plastic one down by your knees.... well those plastics are going to get mangled...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a dremmel with a saw head, cut a single slot across the top of the bolt and removed it with a big flat screwdriver, then I replaced that bolt and all the others with newer fasteners..... and if it is the deep recessed in plastic one down by your knees.... well those plastics are going to get mangled...
That's what I had in mind. You didn't have any trouble doing that? Fortunately, all the other bolts were easy to remove, but they will all be replaced!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used the Dremel tool and a cutting disk to make a slot. Still would not budge. I had to drive it using a punch and hammer to break it loose so I could remove it! New ones on order..thanks for all the input!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The punch/awl/chisel and hammer trick is a good one. It often works when nothing else does and requires no heat, mess or expense. Shock at the outside of the head of a fastener with enough angle to get a bite and still put force in the proper direction is very effective.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must be my lucky day. After I removed the tank and verified the air filter was OK and that the TB boots were where they were supposed to be, I went looking for the missing hinge bolt for the gas tank. It wasn't in place when I started to raise the tank. I found it lying on the left side right under the air filter housing. Went inside and got an appropriate sized nylock nut and all better.

Still afterfiring on deceleration. Might have to live with it...:headbang:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts