StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding tank bags. Do they scratch the paint at all? Are there some bags better than others? I am looking at the First Gear tank bag and I would like some feedback.

Thank you!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes... a large majority of tank bags scuff the paint over a period of time. Regardless of how clean you keep the tank and the bottom of the bag, whether the bag is magnetic or strapped, it shifts on the tank slightly while riding. At the very least you'll end up with light swirls which are barely noticeable. A lot of the typical scratches you get from magnetic ones are light as well, but that's all opinion based.

There is the bagster tank bag which comes with a cover for the tank, then a connector that the bag attaches too. Not a cheap setup by any means and a little over kill IMO. I think Marsee makes another that is slightly rised above the tank by a connector that is attached to the gas tank opening. Again, more money then typical bags, but not as much as the bagster option.

Cortech, First gear, Nelson-riggs, etc. are all going to sit directly on the bike though.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Odds are very good that any tank bag which sits on the paint will eventually damage the paint.

My favorite tank bags are the Bags Connection/ SW-Motech quick release bags which attach to a collar around the gas cap. They latch securely to the bike and don't touch the paint.

I've got their smallest bag, but they have many other sizes.

Collar on tank:

Bag on bike:

I got mine from Twisted Throttle.com.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for responding. That definitely answers my question. I like the Throttle.com option. I will go check them out.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have the Nelson Rigg CL300 magnetic, which is a nice little bag. I got a small bag because I figured it was all I really need, most days, and I didn't want it in the way.

Most days it's all I need, but not adequate for touring (long day or multiple days).
I have to look down to make sure it's still there (it always is), so it's definitely not in the way.

I'd like to get another, larger bag, something like the Wolfman Explorer Lite, for those non-commuting trips.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I have 2 different bags connection tank bags, that attach to the ring ye install on the gas tank. Engage 7 liter and the engage xl 14 liter. I bought the 14 l after I became slowly more liter hungry. My gobi 37 liter sidecases arrive tomorrow after waiting a month and I'm turbo stoked.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cornbread, that's a pretty good idea too. I am checking that out as a cheap option. I looked at the bags on twisted throttle. They also look pretty nice.

Thanks again for all of the replies.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had my Wolfman Explorer on the bike for a year now and have zero visible scratches or scuffs on my Wee tank. I only take it off to put fuel in and then only the front two clips. Very happy with it. Probably a dark color paint would show some minute scratches but with my silver blue none show at this time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Interestingly, the flat black 08 Wee's don't seem to be succeptable to tank bag scratches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts