StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a tank bag and want to get one for my 2012 vstrom 650. I would appreciate any advice / widom / experience you are willing to share. TIA for any assistance you provide.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've never owned a tank bag and want to get one for my 2012 vstrom 650. I would appreciate any advice / widom / experience you are willing to share. TIA for any assistance you provide.
I leave the wisdom to others but can recommend the Givi T480 tanklock bag. It fits well on the 2012 wee, does not obstruct view or movement and goes on and off in a matter of seconds.
Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's a pic of my tank bag.
It's the Wolfman Explorer Lite. It fits nicely and doesn't get in the way of anything.
It has the one pocket on the bag, and the top expands to increase the height of the bag a couple more inches if necessary. Some people like bigger bags, some like smaller bags. It just depends on what you want to carry in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I leave the wisdom to others but can recommend the Givi T480 tanklock bag. It fits well on the 2012 wee, does not obstruct view or movement and goes on and off in a matter of seconds.
Dan
A few times I hear of the Givi tanklock. Most vendors don't include 2012 in their drop list for the piece that locks to the gas tank. Do you know if the 2011 fits the 2012 ?

Tks

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
A few times I hear of the Givi tanklock. Most vendors don't include 2012 in their drop list for the piece that locks to the gas tank. Do you know if the 2011 fits the 2012 ?

Tks

Rob
The 2011 uses mounting kit # BF10 whereas the 2012 requires # BF01. There is a compatibility chart (pdf file) on Givi's website where you can find these details - GIVI T480 TANKLOCK - Soft Luggages

Dan

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a Givi tanlock bag as well. No unsightly straps left on the bike when the bag is off, no straps to wear away paint etc when some muck gets between the straps and the frame or whatever the bag is tied to. Very easy to get on and off too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
City Bag by SW-Motech

I use a "City Bag" by SW-Motech, available at Twisted Throttle. I've had the same bag on my last 2 bikes. It's expandable and comes with a rain cover and a strap if you wanted to put it over your shoulder. It expands up 1.5-2". It attaches to the bike by a ring that mounts on your gas tank ring (see pics). It is quick and secure and goes on and off in seconds. But the best part IMHO is that it doesn't touch the bike. I've had many friends with bags that mount on the surface who have had the bag or the straps rub their pain off (a couple to bare metal).

They make several models besides the city bag that all attach with the quick release ring. The City bag is one of the larger ones. Shown below not expanded. Like all the SW-Motech stuff I've purchased, installation was easy, directions were clear and came with everything I needed. Not the cheapest option out there, but it works well for me!

Here's the ring that's mounted over your gas tank ring.

Here's the underside of the bag with the new and improved lock/release mechanism.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm using the Giant Loop Moto Diablo tank bag. It's a strap-type bag, pretty roomy for its (small) size. Using the supplied seam sealer makes it somewhere between water resistant and water proof.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Adventure Motostuff has the Givi bag and BF01 tank ring.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I use the daypack II on mine from bags connection.
It is expandable, has a waterproof cover, attachable atlas holder and is reinforced to keep it's shape.
It uses a tank ring so no scratching the bike and can also be locked to the bike for security.
Easy removal for refuelling as well.
I am very happy with it, and it's not bulky.
I carry alot in there eg wallet, gps case, tissues, cat crap and cloth, remote for garage door, keys for panniers etc, sunnies case, instant camera and haven't had to expand it yet so it can take quite alot.
Install takes about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps

side view

top view

base plate

tank ring

map holder (removable)

side view of who it looks with the all the bike in view

·
Registered
47 Posts
A couple of different features between the givi and gotawee's bags connection tanklock bag seem worth highlighting:
- the givi bag cannot be locked to the bike
- the givi's map compartment is not detachable and is quite smallish (would not accommodate that atlas shown in the picture)
- on the upside the givi bag has a satnav compartment moulded into the map compartment

Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
What happens to the cords when you take the bag off? Do they just hang there and you have stuff them under the seat?
Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Magnetic and small

It comes with rain cover and the clear map top snaps off when not needed. I took the windshield mount off my gps and slid it in there. It is small, but I think it's a good size considering anything more can go in a side or top case and I don't think I'd like a big tank bag. Magnets work great though I still clip the strap to the handle bars out of paranoia. The handle is nice as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Givi Tanklock T491

I have a Givi Tanklock T491. It requires mounting ring BF01. I love the bag. It is a little bigger than I really need but I have filled it. It is securely mounted and very easy to remove/install. I love that there are no straps to unclip (I cut the lawyer straps off as I don't really think there's much of any way it will come off on it's own.) and nothing touching/rubbing the paint on the bike. I have driven thousands of miles with it like that w/out any issues. The map window is huge. Side pockets are nice for camera's/phones. There is an internal key hook and an included rain cover which is very water proof (see pics!). I especially like it because I ride w/ a dark tinted visor almost all of the time but my clear visor fits neatly inside right against the back edge and takes up virtually no space at all. It's nice to have it for those times when you get caught in the dark on a long trip. Fit and finish is superb. I'm very happy with it. Sorry the pics aren't better but you get the idea.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Magnetic and small

It comes with rain cover and the clear map top snaps off when not needed. I took the windshield mount off my gps and slid it in there. It is small, but I think it's a good size considering anything more can go in a side or top case and I don't think I'd like a big tank bag. Magnets work great though I still clip the strap to the handle bars out of paranoia. The handle is nice as well.
Awesome small bag and a great fit. A litre larger and a stronger build than the similar Cortech model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Givi Tanklock T491. It requires mounting ring BF01. I love the bag. It is a little bigger than I really need but I have filled it. It is securely mounted and very easy to remove/install. I love that there are no straps to unclip (I cut the lawyer straps off as I don't really think there's much of any way it will come off on it's own.) and nothing touching/rubbing the paint on the bike. I have driven thousands of miles with it like that w/out any issues. The map window is huge. Side pockets are nice for camera's/phones. There is an internal key hook and an included rain cover which is very water proof (see pics!). I especially like it because I ride w/ a dark tinted visor almost all of the time but my clear visor fits neatly inside right against the back edge and takes up virtually no space at all. It's nice to have it for those times when you get caught in the dark on a long trip. Fit and finish is superb. I'm very happy with it. Sorry the pics aren't better but you get the idea.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what tail box is that?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the MotoCentric Mototrek 19 Tank Bag and I'm happy with it.

First off, it has a hydration bladder. I totally forgot about water until my wife piped up before I bought the bag and mentioned it. I don't have to fiddle with a water bottle or wear a backpack (not happening 2up) for hydration. This is a major help in the summer when cruising the desert.

I opted for the strap model as I don't trust magnets. I feel this was better anyway as I only have to undo 1 of the buckles and raise it up to refuel. It kind of hinges it in a way. I don't see this working with a magnetic back. Especially one with water and other stuff in it. Mine gets fairly heavy.

Mine has a ton of pockets too. When you put in a full 2-liter bladder, it does take up a significant amount of space, but I can still get granola bars, fruit snacks, disc lock, pad lock, cables, GPS/ SPOT case, sunglasses (2 pair), pen, notebook, and usually a camera (small point and shoot) in the main compartment. I put batteries, coins, straps, binoculars, maps, and some other small stuff in the side compartments. Don't get me wrong, it is full and I can't fit much more in there. You may not bring all that stuff though.

It does come with straps to make it into a backpack if you need. I believe the magnetic version has this, but I like the strap version better. I had their smaller 14 tank bag for about half an hour before I ordered the larger one. The hydration pack does take up a bunch of room, but I personally can't go without the water.

It does have a map pocket which is long and narrow. I thought it would be useless, but I was wrong. I usually make a custom map from Google that will fit in the pouch. You're not fitting an atlas in there, but could easily fit a road map you pickup at a gas station, or make your own like I do.

The one drawback is if it's raining. It comes with a rain cover, which so far works great and I've been in some downpours. The only bad thing is you can't see the map window through the rain cover. This really isn't an issue though. IMO, you should have a good idea of where you're going before you take off. It's not hard to stop and raise the rain cover to look at the map either.

Personally, I see these other tank bags that lock to the bike and are tiny. What good is it locking to the bike if you can't lock the bag? I'm not worried about someone taking my bag, I'm worried about someone taking my camera from my bag. Even with the buckles, my bag is easy to remove and take into a restaurant with me. I like this bag though as it's not a highrise building either and I can still easily see the gauges and stuff.

Not saying this bag is superior to others as I have not tried any others, but I love this bag and have really discovered what's important. Good luck!

Sorry, I don't have any pics up close of the bag. I might be able to snap one for you tonight. Here's a good vid though. He doesn't have a full bladder in there though, that's how they get the sandals in there. You might be able to get both though, depends on the bladder and sandals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDI-y3_aM0

What are you looking to use your bag for? I really only use mine on longer trips, not around town. Around town, I would probably look at a smaller bag.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts