StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Current tank bag ripped. Looking for a new one and wondered if anyone has/likes/dislikes the tank bags with the locking gas ring. Fitment would be for a 2017 650

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
I have the SW Motech Bags Connection EVO Quick Lock tank bags. Both the Engage (for about 8 years) and City (for about 7 years). I use to use the Engage around town and on day trips and the City on extended trips, but now use the City most of the time that I take a tank bag.

They are bit on the expensive side but have performed flawlessly for me and not a single problem or complaint. They came with a shoulder strap, which I have never used. And a rain cover with I have used quite a few times and it works just as expected. I would purchase again.

I also have the map case that attaches to them.

YMMV

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got an Evo (Bags Connection) from Twisted Throttle for another bike and love it. No scratches on the tank or side panels and easy on and off. Only down side is these come w/ a clear plastic rain cover that takes up more space in the bag than I want. Never used it, since I only use a tank bag on some longer trips.

For my other bike, I looked at several bags at a MC show, traced their footprint on some paper I had brought along, and experimented at home on the bike to be sure there would not be handlebar interference.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
My bag is a Joe Rocket. Doesn't expand too much but has plenty of room for the hydration bladder and more. has the map pocket top too. Magnetic mount and wrap the carry strap around the handle bar so it doesn't leave unexpectedly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I looked at Givi's line at a recent bike expo. They had a new dl650 with a tank ring so I could try all their different bags. They have several tank bag options and all of them work really well. I've never used a bag with a ring mount like that and I found it pretty easy to use. I'm sure the others in that price range are equally good. If I was serious about a tank bag for regular use I think the ring mount would be my choice. I found Givi's other mounting systems to be excellent as well. I'm really anal about keeping my bike nice and I appreciate their attempt at hanging stuff everywhere without leaving any marks. Best, DD

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a Touratech item. Nice and light with plenty of space. The mounts are non intrusive and hardly noticeable at the front and rear of the tank, and it clips off and back on easily for petrol fills. Also expandable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Givi XS 320 Tanklock bag with custom cut tank ring to fit the bike.
I carry my rain jacket, extra gloves, air gauge and other stuff and leave it on the bike all the time.
Map pocket is nice though I've never used the removable tablet sleeve. And it's expandable should I ever need to.

·
Vendor
5,153 Posts
Well, since you asked.... We have the entire line of Givi tank lock tank bags at a 10% discount. We have the ability to sell a lot of different tank bags, but I believe the Givi Tanklock system is the best out there. the ring has a much lower lower profile than some others making it much less obvious when the bag is not there and quality and features of the bags are impressive.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/tank-bags.html

The most popular bag is the XS307 (17 liters). It is a larger bag, but not overly so. The even larger XS308 was more for expeditions and has been discontinued.

Also, Givi's warranty support on these bags has been great. I can get any tank bag I want and I use the Givi tank lock bags. Usually the XS307.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
My bike came with one of the SW Motech with tank lock ring. I'm not sure how old it is, but the color on top is quite faded from being out in the sun. I use it all the time. I haven't been caught out in huge rain, so I don't know how waterproof it still is, but it keeps things dry in light rain. It has an expander zipper but I don't keep that much stuff in it. Works well for what I need.

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
I like the Nelson RIgg bags....have an expandible 20 liter that opens to 27 liter ...wonderful and life time warranty.

I like magnetic.

Reactions: MontanaGuy

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here is my idea of a smaller tank bag...but still easy on & off with Givi quick release. I assembled the bag & lock flange & have an extra available if anyone is interested. 2 different bag shapes/dimensions to choose from.
13x9x5 smooth texture or 14x9.5x4.5 woven. Contact me for more info.

The bag itself can be used on other bikes by simply reinstalling the suction cups & soft pad
20200424_103317_HDR.jpg
20200429_142309_HDR.jpg
20200429_142405.jpg
20200429_142632.jpg
20200429_142333.jpg

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sometimes a magnetic type bag is not an option....as on the 2012up 650 & 14up 1000s
Youre left with either a strap type or...my preference...the tank ring mount type

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought a cortech that was a strap mount. I think the bag is very nice with a lot of features that most bags don’t have. Before I bought that I got advice on here to buy a tanklock and I didn’t listen. I tried the cortech but hated the strap mount. It was never very secure and moved around. It wouldn’t fall off but really bothered me. So I bought the Suzuki bag and tanklock ring. I believe it is just a rebranded SW Motech city. I love it. It is expensive but so nice. All I did was make an expensive bag more expensive by buying the wrong one first.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
As can be seen by now, most here have/prefer a tank ring setup. More expensive than a traditional strap type or magnetic, but necessary (IMO) if you absolutely do not want to scratch your paint in the long run. Especially if you plan to roll with a tank bag frequently or every day.

I think the extra expense is worth it on a newer bike. If someone was riding a 15 year old beater bike, then a basic tank bag would make sense.

And, if you are super careful with a strap or magnetic mount, you might not scratch your paint ever. It's a risk/cost thing. Another option I suppose would be to put clear bra type stuff on your tank so straps/magnets don't scratch anything. I'd rather pay the extra to not deal with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
And, if you are super careful with a strap or magnetic mount, you might not scratch your paint ever. It's a risk/cost thing.
It’s not just the damaged paint. Just a convenience issue. Every time you stop for gas tanklock is much better. Not trying to fish straps through your bike every time you want to use your tank bag or not use your tank bag.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It’s not just the damaged paint. Just a convenience issue. Every time you stop for gas tanklock is much better. Not trying to fish straps through your bike every time you want to use your tank bag or not use your tank bag.
I second this. I picked up a 7L SWMotech quick lock bag ultra super cheap on CL a month or so back. It takes about 3 seconds to take off and maybe 10 to put back on if it's being persnickity. Very very handy to have doing long highway rides this past weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts