StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Like all luggage the more room you have the more "just incase crap" you carry.

I have the SW-Motech city but the bride has claimed it and manages to fill it up, if I had a bigger one she would fill that too.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I guess this thread isn't for you.

..Tom
I find the clear map pockets are problematic as I ride so much. What would be a good thing that I could use as a tank bag around the 20 - 25 liter range that is tough and strong, perhaps semi rigid and ideally water resistant that I could attach to the Givi mount? Doesn't have to be an actual motorcycle tank bag as long as it can be easily opened while riding and I don't think rock hard is a good idea.

Any thoughts?

..Tom
I butchered my Givi 20 L Tanklock Bag by cutting the glossy plastic covering from the lid. Not pretty, but much easier on the eyes. Mine was a model (308?) that also came with a detachable map pouch. I rarely use it for the same reason: acute sun glare, and besides I use a GPS and MAPS-Manual Accurate Position Sheets. I used a box knife and attempted to melt out the little bits of left over clear plastic, and ended up melting a hole in it. I'm ok with that; the continuous glare is gone.

Reactions: D.T. and V-Tom

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
What about plasti dip matte black over that clear plastic?

·
Registered
849 Posts
What about plasti dip matte black over that clear plastic?
Sure, now ya tell me!

I've never used PlastiDip before , so I'm not sure how it would work in this instance. The lid and window are flexible, would that product hold up? You did lead me to think of another similar product: Flex Seal. The guy that invented it is all over cable tv here periodically, and I've used it on rain gutters. It does dry matte and remains plyable. I might just put a little dab on my Strategic Vent Port!

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I use plastidip a lot, it sticks to most surfaces great but it is made so you can just peel off so it can be damaged quite easily.

What about a carbon fiber look alike stick on wrap ?

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I guess this thread isn't for you.

..Tom
Only trying to give people on the thread some other thoughts/options. Geez.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've really enjoyed the Tusk Olympus size large.
Perfect fit, not too big. And great prize.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think this bag is made by SWMotech which means you will like it. My City Bag by SW Motech is ten years old. The black has faded to gray in most places but it is still tough as nails and my all time favorite tank bag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought the Nelson Rigg - Trails End Adventure Motorcycle Tank Bag. Not a tank lock ring but it has straps. I personally think the bag fits the shape of the tank where the gas ring lock bags look weird. Undoing a couple of straps barely takes anytime. Not sure what the hurry is to take a bag off anyway that it stresses people out, each to their own. Great price and great warranty.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
A strap on bag scratches the paint and trim over time. A strap on bag takes a LOT longer to put on and remove. Some of the strap on bags do look good on the bike. I may take a tank bag on and off 8-10 times a day. Fiddling with straps is ok, but once you own a tank ring lock bag they would be hard to give up.

This video demonstrates the function of the tank lock setup very well!

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Not a big deal to flip the bag back to fill up but I prefer magnetic. Easy on off and fits closer to the tank. Four points of contact no wasted space. I find the tank ring fiddly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think this bag is made by SWMotech which means you will like it. My City Bag by SW Motech is ten years old. The black has faded to gray in most places but it is still tough as nails and my all time favorite tank bag.
I have an old Big Mak from my BMW that I modified to fit the Wee. It also had faded to purple/gray, and my wife said "you wouldn't put that old thing on a new bike, would you?" but a quick shot of flat black spray paint and it now looks like new!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Giant Loop Diablo Pro bag, I like the straps (it feels more secure to me and I think it looks better) and I like the size. It looks cool too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mosko Nomad. An absurd amount of little pockets for organization, hydration bag, molle for other things, clips on and off in seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Two new bags, very different. Big bag is interfering with stand up riding a bit when it's fully loaded. That big bag sure blocks wind!

I suspect I'll end up running the the small bag around town, and for stand up riding use cases, and the big bag for large trips.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
How about cheap a$$ good stuff?

Moto Centric! Like.

Looks like they are discontinued? (n)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I use a Joe Rocket Manta for day to day. Holds everything I need. Magnetic so no worries for fuel ups. You can buy them for less than $50. I just got a used one. Like new condition for $20. Gotta make sure I spray this one with UV protection. My old one works fine, it's just purpley grey.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use a Joe Rocket Manta for day to day. Holds everything I need. Magnetic so no worries for fuel ups. You can buy them for less than $50. I just got a used one. Like new condition for $20. Gotta make sure I spray this one with UV protection. My old one works fine, it's just purpley grey.
Easy to fix the colour, just spray paint it flat black. It'll look perfect and it adds to it's waterproofness. Mine is an old Big Mak, gone purple a couple times, and I just paint it and WD40 the zippers, and it's like brand new again.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts