StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I wanted to mention another product that I liked from Kappa, the AH213. It was more expensive, but I really like the shape and utility of it:

Again, no equivalent from Givi, and worthy of consideration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought into the Givi tank lock system and in general am pleased. At the time, I had three bikes, and it was nice to be able to have just one tankbag that I would quickly swap from machine to machine. The first bag I bought was the GIVI-XS307, which is a mid-size (15L) bag. It is a nice bag, but in practice I found it a little large. At the moment, I am having trouble fitting it at all on my Vstrom 650, which has Fasst Flex bars moved back 2". The bag fits, but makes it difficult to move the bars.

But even before I installed my new bars, I was mostly using a smaller Kappa RA320IGBK. I really like this size. It is big enough to store what I need for most small trips, and small enough to grab and run into a store with. Kappa is made by Givi; apparently it is their downmarket brand in Europe. For the most part, the Kappa seems identical in quality to the Givi.

Just a side note on Givi stuff: until recently, at least, I found I could order direct from Italy (I used Motorsport.it) and have stuff shipped to the US and still come in a about 2/3 the price of ordering from a US distributor. This may have changed in the wake of Covid-19, but I got some great deals on Givi top and side cases, the Givi airflow shield, and some other stuff. I would save up list of things I wanted and combine into a single shipment. Not only was it cheaper, but it did not take significantly more time to arrive (again, this is pre-Covid, and so I doubt this would be true at the moment)

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I bought into the Givi tank lock system and in general am pleased. At the time, I had three bikes, and it was nice to be able to have just one tankbag that I would quickly swap from machine to machine. The first bag I bought was the GIVI-XS307, which is a mid-size (15L) bag. It is a nice bag, but in practice I found it a little large. At the moment, I am having trouble fitting it at all on my Vstrom 650, which has Fasst Flex bars moved back 2". The bag fits, but makes it difficult to move the bars.

But even before I installed my new bars, I was mostly using a smaller Kappa RA320IGBK. I really like this size. It is big enough to store what I need for most small trips, and small enough to grab and run into a store with. Kappa is made by Givi; apparently it is their downmarket brand in Europe. For the most part, the Kappa seems identical in quality to the Givi.

Just a side note on Givi stuff: until recently, at least, I found I could order direct from Italy (I used Motorsport.it) and have stuff shipped to the US and still come in a about 2/3 the price of ordering from a US distributor. This may have changed in the wake of Covid-19, but I got some great deals on Givi top and side cases, the Givi airflow shield, and some other stuff. I would save up list of things I wanted and combine into a single shipment. Not only was it cheaper, but it did not take significantly more time to arrive (again, this is pre-Covid, and so I doubt this would be true at the moment)
That's exactly who I ordered my gear from!

Glad to hear you liked the RA320IGBK, It looks promising as a little TankLock bag. For the price you simply can't beat it.

The RA308R dimensions are smaller (height wise anyway) than most at around 6.5 inches. I'm hoping it works out, but at less than $90, I'm sure I can sell it without loss if it doesn't.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Never had an issue with my zippers, but yeah you do need to pay a bit of attention since they go between a rubber seal. Can't really blame the bag as not being waterproof, but it is most certainly rain resistant without cover and 100% waterproof with the cover. ;)
I dont care that the bag itself is not waterproof
Just wish they didn't use an inferior "waterproof "zipper (that's what the guy who repaired it said) when they could have used a quality ykk zipper for this application
The zipper separated from the bag
And I'm not the only one this has happened too
There are. Bunch of reviewers who have the same issue
It's a shame because I like the bag

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I have two Givi bags and they have been great. I mostly use the small one (similar to the ST 602) to carry water, cell phone, earplugs, flashlight. The Large one is the XS 320 that is made for the Africa Twin. Great design, fits the Vstrom really well with it's slope. It is expandable. You have to modify the ring on the bag to rotate the release mechanism.
Very impressed with the Givi quick release system.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I quit riding, but I'd never ride a mainly street bike without a tank bag. And a fairly large one to boot. Realshelby summed it up well I think. For me, it's like the console from your car or truck; everything you want is a foot away from your torso, on or off the bike.

If I'm on a ride and want to change gloves, pay an entrance fee/toll, read my map, etc., I don't even have to get off the bike. I've even kept light rain gear in mine. 400 mile day rides with just my tank bag. Most valuable bag to me, over top box or cases, though those are needed as well for some scenarios. I mean to say the tank bag was used on every ride, the others, only on occasion.

·
Registered
483 Posts
OK, I'm going to throw a stick in the spokes here. I don't like tank bags. They're a PIA at gas stations, even with quick releases, they don't allow a map to fold big enough for me, and they look like C__p.
What I do is strap two 6 liter Kriega bags to my crash guards. Then I put a map case strapped to the tank that can hold a much bigger map when folded. The two 6L Kriegas hold much more than a tank bag.
I've traveled all over Mexico and Central America with this set up and love it.
Gee Joel, how do you really feel about this? :p:p

·
Administrator
17,763 Posts
I dont care that the bag itself is not waterproof
Just wish they didn't use an inferior "waterproof "zipper (that's what the guy who repaired it said) when they could have used a quality ykk zipper for this application
The zipper separated from the bag
And I'm not the only one this has happened too
There are. Bunch of reviewers who have the same issue
It's a shame because I like the bag

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for heads up as I will obviously keep an eye on mine, so far so good though and they get used quite a bit. :)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I like the tank bag as wallet perspective, with the exception I don't need or want to take it off and carry it around.

I've had a variety of tank bag sizes over the years, and anything more than 2-4L is just overkill for me. I do like the look of the the SW-Motech Engage bag (7L, I think?), but even that's too much for my tastes.

I've never had a truly waterproof bag. For some reason they seem few and far between, and I've always found the covers a PITA. And poor quality and not durable.

Problem solved for me with a tank case. First a Pelican 1150 (3L, not shown), and now an 1120 (2L, pics below):

2015_DL650_Tank_Case_01.jpg 2015_DL650_Tank_Case_02.jpg 2015_DL650_Tank_Case_03.jpg

Just the right size for all the stuff to which I want quick & easy access on a regular basis: glasses (sun or clear), microfiber towel, extra / backup earplugs, lens cloth, mask & backup mask, ibuprofen, toll pass, registration and insurance paperwork (though I don't need them often, but easy access is nice if and when I do.).

The SW Motech tank ring / lock setup isn't the most low profile, but that's my only complaint. But at the time, SW Motech had the only tank ring that genuinely locked. Looks llike the Givi and new SW Motech versions are lower profile. Might switch to one of them, eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,299 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Was looking for a quick-release tank bag for my 650 that I had added bar-backs to and decided I wanted the Givi XS320. Problem was the way Givi mounted the lock on the bottom of the bag. With my BF01 ring, it would mount with the bottom of the bag pointing to 3:00 not 6:00. I'd seen where someone had notched out two spots on the plastic adapter that you mount to your tank. I made the two notches at the 3:00 location and presto, the fit is perfect. No clearance issues with the starter or horn button. As far as standing up, it would be relative to where you place your feet on the pegs and as to whether your legs grip the bag is bothersome. Of course, you'd need to be pretty far forward to make contact with the bag. I stand up all the time and don't touch it.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Was looking for a quick-release tank bag for my 650 that I had added bar-backs to and decided I wanted the Givi XS320. Problem was the way Givi mounted the lock on the bottom of the bag. With my BF01 ring, it would mount with the bottom of the bag pointing to 3:00 not 6:00. I'd seen where someone had notched out two spots on the plastic adapter that you mount to your tank. I made the two notches at the 3:00 location and presto, the fit is perfect. No clearance issues with the starter or horn button. As far as standing up, it would be relative to where you place your feet on the pegs and as to whether your legs grip the bag is bothersome. View attachment 276968
Very surreal background: Concrete bunkers, Santa, and turkey vultures

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
So I have an old givi tanklock in my bike box that I have worn out but it still has the perfecly functional tanklock connection. I should be able to screw that mount into another brand of tank bag or other type of bag that isnt specificaly a motorcycle tank bag.

I find the clear map pockets are problematic as I ride so much. What would be a good thing that I could use as a tank bag around the 20 - 25 liter range that is tough and strong, perhaps semi rigid and ideally water resistant that I could attach to the Givi mount? Doesn't have to be an actual motorcycle tank bag as long as it can be easily opened while riding and I don't think rock hard is a good idea.

Any thoughts?

..Tom

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I should be able to screw that mount into another brand of tank bag or other type of bag that isnt specificaly a motorcycle tank bag.

..Tom
Tom,

I once owned a Luggage Locker brand tank lock tank bag. He went out of business during the 2008 downturn.

Anyway, the bag had a base that was made with marine plywood, covered in heavy nylon. The upper tank ring was screwed to the base using a Chicago type screw. The base was rigid enough t support a good load.

The plywood base provided a platform for several different tank bags he offered, all held to the base with velcro. Once attached, the base and bag became one and you just twisted on and off as a unit. It was so effective, over the years, I actually forgot it was two separate pieces.

I always have said, you can take a sheet of HDPE plastic (a cheap cutting board will do) to make a rigid base to mount the tank ring, then attach a strap type tank bag to it using velcro or some other means.

Another option would be to get two thin sheets (1/8") and put one under the bag and one inside and rivet/Chicago screw together, sandwiching the nylon together. Should be rigid enough for the tank ring. Or, just place 1/4" cutting board inside bag and glue in, screw tank ring to it.

Interestingly enough, the tank ring mounts for the Cortech Dryver line of bags are still available separately and they are very inexpensive. It's what I used on my Strom when I converted the Luggage Locker to be used after selling my Triumph. It should be fairly easy to convert any decent tank bag into a tank ring style for not a lot of cash.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Sadly they aren't made anymore and the Wolfman stuff that is now made is all made in China.

I have two older ones that are great.
That is a bummer. He sure doesn't mention where the bags are made on his site, that I can find anyway.

I'm trying not to buy made in China products anymore, not that easy!

Reactions: Big B

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So I have an old givi tanklock in my bike box that I have worn out but it still has the perfecly functional tanklock connection. I should be able to screw that mount into another brand of tank bag or other type of bag that isnt specificaly a motorcycle tank bag.

I find the clear map pockets are problematic as I ride so much. What would be a good thing that I could use as a tank bag around the 20 - 25 liter range that is tough and strong, perhaps semi rigid and ideally water resistant that I could attach to the Givi mount? Doesn't have to be an actual motorcycle tank bag as long as it can be easily opened while riding and I don't think rock hard is a good idea.

Any thoughts?

..Tom
All the Givi bags in that size come with some form of clear top. Looks like your requirements can be met in the sw-motech options... like the EVO GS:

I really like their bags, and have no doubt they are made to handle Tom's use cases 😁

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
That is a bummer. He sure doesn't mention where the bags are made on his site, that I can find anyway.

I'm trying not to buy made in China products anymore, not that easy!
There was an interview with him on the main page of ADV Rider 2 months or so back. In it, he states that due to needing to switch to a different manufacturing process, he moved everything to China. All his stuff now is made there, and all his stuff is that rubber stuff - no more Cordura.

It's disappointing. He puts a spin on it worthy of a politician.

Here's the link --->

Specific quote:

"I do all the design in my basement studio in Longmont, Colorado. The manufacturing is done in China. We chose China not for cost reasons, but the manufacturing they offer. The fabric we are using, I have it custom made. It is one of the most expensive fabrics I have ever used."

Reactions: Nicad and Spec

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Any thoughts?

..Tom
Here's another interesting option if you want to stick with Tanklock. I noticed fc-moto has it for under $200 Canadian:

I have never heard of the brand, but they appear to get good reviews.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts