StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another vote for the SW-Motech City with the Quick Lock ring. It's always with me. View attachment 276821
How tall is the bag? Since I have the low seat, any bag height is going to be amplified. So I need to keep the height no more than 7 inches.

How tall are you? Do you find it interferes with your stand up riding? Meaning, does the bag sit too far back?

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a Givi XS 308 20 liter tank lock bag. It has a clip on map/pad sleeve that is not quite big enough for A4 but will easily take a 10" iPad. It even has a aperture for a drink tube or wiring, as well as a shoulder strap, weather cover, and 3 small outer pockets which convert into a waist pack when needed.
The XS series is definitely interesting. Have you had the issues that others have had with the zippers?

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I went with SW-Motech Bags Connection Quick-Lock Evo bags. I have the Engage (7 liters) and the City (11 - 15 liters). I don't use the Engage much any more, the City goes pretty much every where.

View attachment 276811
I really like the Engage dimensions. Nice and low, tapered back, cable ports front and back. I've been looking at 4-5 litre bags with larger (strangely) dimensions.

I guess the question is, which quick lock system has more of a future in terms of bag offerings. I have no doubt I'll have 2 bags eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Has anyone used the Givi XS320? Non expanded height is 7 inches. It does slope back and I'm wondering if that would interfere with stand up riding?

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,753 Posts
The XS series is definitely interesting. Have you had the issues that others have had with the zippers?
Occasionally the main zippers to not wish to slide easily when I pull them off square. I guess that I should spray a little CRC Dry glide on them.
The front of my XS is 6 1/2" high, but higher at the rear as it slopes down to follow the tank.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
OK, I'm going to throw a stick in the spokes here. I don't like tank bags. They're a PIA at gas stations, even with quick releases, they don't allow a map to fold big enough for me, and they look like C__p.
What I do is strap two 6 liter Kriega bags to my crash guards. Then I put a map case strapped to the tank that can hold a much bigger map when folded. The two 6L Kriegas hold much more than a tank bag.
I've traveled all over Mexico and Central America with this set up and love it.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Administrator
17,764 Posts
Just an fyi
I have the givi s307
I love the size
It's just on the verge of being perfect for my needs
The huge downfall for the givi is a pos zipper design
It's a waterproof zipper supposedly and its crap
And the bag is far from water proof
Granted I never use the cover it comes with
Had mine repaired once already and its happening again
I'm currently looking for a non givi tank.lock bag
Tank lock is amazing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Never had an issue with my zippers, but yeah you do need to pay a bit of attention since they go between a rubber seal. Can't really blame the bag as not being waterproof, but it is most certainly rain resistant without cover and 100% waterproof with the cover. ;)

·
Administrator
17,764 Posts
OK, I'm going to throw a stick in the spokes here. I don't like tank bags. They're a PIA at gas stations, even with quick releases, they don't allow a map to fold big enough for me, and they look like C__p.
What I do is strap two 6 liter Kriega bags to my crash guards. Then I put a map case strapped to the tank that can hold a much bigger map when folded. The two 6L Kriegas hold much more than a tank bag.
I've traveled all over Mexico and Central America with this set up and love it.
Not a PIA at gas stations, especially the tank lock bags. The purpose of a tank bag IMHO is to have easy access to small item things or frequently used, the bigger they are the more cumbersome, heavy and annoying they become. I do like some of those crash bar bags like you mention, that seems like a really good solution and option for many.

Eric I have the ST605 by the way, and a small outdated/discontinued smaller bag as well.

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
ipad pro as a GPS with Scenic, which would allow me to keep my phone in my jacket for emergencies.
Gonna over heat big time even on a cloudy day.

I carry camera gear, snacks, medical supplies in my tank bag all sorts of bits that are hard to find if I put them anywhere else. Mind even fits my 13" macbook pro easily. I can fill up easily without getting off the bike ..I just set the bag down upright. I find the tank lock fiddly especially with my damaged hands and like to be able to reposition the bag which the tank lock does not allow.
Yeah maybe a bit of a pain on full lock turns which I only undertake paddling

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Gonna over heat big time even on a cloudy day.
So much learning! I agree, my phone goes into overheat mode anytime it's in direct sunlight... if not moving and getting chilled by air. Maybe I need an extra large x-grip 😁

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have landed on two bags after a late night marathon OCD session.

Price was a consideration, but availability was also, since a lot of popular bags are simply out of stock.

I bought them directly from Italy, so the cost ran about 30% lower than a domestic vendor. Selling them without loss is a possibility.

Kappa RA308R $88
Kappa RA320IGBK $53

Both TankLock. The 308 will be for tripping, the 320 for city riding. The dimensions for the 308 are as big as I wanted to go at under 7 inches high when not expanded, which gives 14L. This bag met all my initial requirements listed above. The 320 is only 3.5 inches high and I suspect it will be my favourite 😁

I couldn't find equivalents from Givi for these two products surprisingly. Kappa's "MOLLE" system is interesting and something worthy of looking at.

Regarding bar bags, I have Givi 5L bags for the crash bars. Never used them yet! Maybe on my Tuk trip one day.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
Not a PIA at gas stations, especially the tank lock bags. The purpose of a tank bag IMHO is to have easy access to small item things or frequently used, the bigger they are the more cumbersome, heavy and annoying they become. I do like some of those crash bar bags like you mention, that seems like a really good solution and option for many.
This^

I started with a larger tank bag 15 years ago. Too easy to put too much stuff in them. They are NOT cargo bags! Since I don't read maps while riding, I don't need that detail. I do often put a route sheet to make sure I have taken the right turns and such that I can confirm with a quick glance.
Think of the tank bag this way: it is a large wallet. What do you need when you go into a store after fueling? What do you need when you go in a restaurant to eat? What do you want with you when you go into a restroom at a rest stop?
My wallet, phone, ear plugs, note pad, glasses are mainly what is in mine.
With the quick release tank lock I flip a lever, disconnect the tether ( optional but I do run one after having magnetic bags fall off...) and off I go. You want it small so you don't have a big piece of airline luggage to carry into the store. I like to leave my shoulder strap on mine, handy to throw over the shoulder so you can shop, pay, and do restroom duty.
More stuff....that goes into the top case or dry bags on the seat!
Water issues? They don't like rain beyond a light shower...but put the cover on and they are all day rain proof.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This^

I started with a larger tank bag 15 years ago. Too easy to put too much stuff in them. They are NOT cargo bags! Since I don't read maps while riding, I don't need that detail. I do often put a route sheet to make sure I have taken the right turns and such that I can confirm with a quick glance.
Think of the tank bag this way: it is a large wallet. What do you need when you go into a store after fueling? What do you need when you go in a restaurant to eat? What do you want with you when you go into a restroom at a rest stop?
My wallet, phone, ear plugs, note pad, glasses are mainly what is in mine.
With the quick release tank lock I flip a lever, disconnect the tether ( optional but I do run one after having magnetic bags fall off...) and off I go. You want it small so you don't have a big piece of airline luggage to carry into the store. I like to leave my shoulder strap on mine, handy to throw over the shoulder so you can shop, pay, and do restroom duty.
More stuff....that goes into the top case or dry bags on the seat!
Water issues? They don't like rain beyond a light shower...but put the cover on and they are all day rain proof.
That's exactly why I think I'll end up favouring the 4.5L bag. It meets all your criteria above, has a shoulder strap for quick and easy carrying as a man purse 😁

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here's a link if anyone is interested:

·
Registered
231 Posts
How tall is the bag? Since I have the low seat, any bag height is going to be amplified. So I need to keep the height no more than 7 inches.

How tall are you? Do you find it interferes with your stand up riding? Meaning, does the bag sit too far back?
From top of tank to top of bag is about 9". But more telling: it's about 52" from the top of the bag to ground while on the centre stand.

I'm 6' tall. 32" inseam. The bag in no way interferes with my riding, seated nor standing. When I'm riding I honestly don't even know it's there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Webfors- I think you made a good choice with these two bags. I have the SW-Motech 7 liter bag. It fits nicely to the tank's profile, looks good blah blah, and it's a nice handy size, but it wasn't cheap. If I were starting over, I'd go your route.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As Skinner said.....You don't notice that the tank bag is there.The first time I used one that was my thought.It is out of your line of vision.The idea is that it is a handy location and a central location for extra weight.Keep in mind soft weight would be better in case your torso or lower torso.....ok crotch...were to slide forward in a crash.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
As Skinner said.....You don't notice that the tank bag is there.The first time I used one that was my thought.It is out of your line of vision.The idea is that it is a handy location and a central location for extra weight.Keep in mind soft weight would be better in case your torso or lower torso.....ok crotch...were to slide forward in a crash.
:LOL:

I was thinking that last night. A nice hearty face or crotch plant into a hard object in the case would be less than ideal.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That's what I'm hoping. The low seat takes things down 1.5 inches I think... so going with a bag that has a max height of 7 inches should provide the same experience as Skinner articulated.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Webfors- I think you made a good choice with these two bags. I have the SW-Motech 7 liter bag. It fits nicely to the tank's profile, looks good blah blah, and it's a nice handy size, but it wasn't cheap. If I were starting over, I'd go your route.
It was close! The cheapskate in me couldn't justify the extra expense. I think that 7 liter SW bag is probably the best looking small bag available.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts