StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just joined this group as I just purchased a 2011 Wee, to replace my KLR, which got wrote off after a deer strike. This looks like a good informative site to learn more about my new ride.
I can't seem to find much in regards to luggage recommendations ESP. tank bag recommendations. I need somewhere to store all the small stuff I seem to pack around like sunglasses, maps etc. but don't want something so huge that its a pain when just zipping around locally. Also ease of removal for fuelling up is a bonus. What do you guys recommend as far as good fit and good storage, and ease of general use.
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Greetings,
I struggled with the same thing and simply wanted enough room to keep stuff out of my pockets. My problem is the larger the bag, the more I feel I have to cram in it.
Here's what I use: A Wolfman 8 liter "Enduro" strap mount tank bag. The thing I like most is that It clears the gas cap so I don't have to mess with it at every stop.

I have the old version with the "three point" mount. The new ones are a four point mount and are probably easier to remove/install.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My favorite small tank bag on the strom is the Joe Rocket Manta. It fits very well and is small enough not to get in the way, but stores small stuff very easily. Mine is magnetic so its easy to slip out of the way when fueling and since its a smaller bag, it doesn't try to overlap the plastic that covers part of the sides of the tank like larger bags do.

I've pretty much found that large tank bags on the strom just don't work very well.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just joined this group as I just purchased a 2011 Wee, to replace my KLR, which got wrote off after a deer strike. This looks like a good informative site to learn more about my new ride.
I can't seem to find much in regards to luggage recommendations ESP. tank bag recommendations. I need somewhere to store all the small stuff I seem to pack around like sunglasses, maps etc. but don't want something so huge that its a pain when just zipping around locally. Also ease of removal for fuelling up is a bonus. What do you guys recommend as far as good fit and good storage, and ease of general use.
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

"Tank Bag Talk" is a fairly common conversation here on the forum. There are several manufacturers and styles to choose from. All have their good points and weak points.

I made my own out of a waterproof Pelican case.

Near the top of this forum, there is a "Google Custom Search" dialog box. A query that is entered there, is a specific search to this forum, (Yes a few advertisements are included as well....).

I did a search, using the Search Box, (I typed in, "Tank Bag Recommendations"), and the link below is what came up. Grab a cup of coffee, or two(!), and read away!

Tank Bag Recommendations

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a rapid transit recon19 tank bag, Its magnetic, and has been tested and excessive speed:mrgreen: and has not moved.

It also comes with removable shoulder straps so you can use it as a backpac, comes with a pocket for a camelback water bag, and has 2 see through pockets for a map or gps, etc

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Touratech

Touratech makes a pretty good one.

Mine's been on the bike for 38000 miles. It has not been babied (it gets thrown around a lot), and has held up extremely well. It stays in place with no fussing, has a large, clear map pocket, holds an unbelievable amount of crap securely (by virtue of its rigid wall and expanding section), and has been completely waterproof.

It's simple to flip out of the way at gas stations; just undo two buckles and flip it backward onto the seat.

My only complaint with it is that it wasn't free.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I did a bunch of research online about tank bags and fretted over fit, volume, etc.

Confused and overwhelmed, I went to Cycle Gear and narrowed it down to two or three that seemed the size/ shape/ features I was looking for. The CG guys let me go out and try them on my bike for fit. It's very helpful to see them on the bike and in the flesh, IMO - especially when comparing different bags.

I could have probably then found it online for $5 cheaper, but the guys in my local Cycle Gear were very helpful and accommodating... and they have to eat, too... so I just bought it there and was done with it.

I don't even know what tank bag I ended up with (a Cortech, if memory serves), but I've been happy enough with it. Unless you're looking for some kind of high-end, specialty bag, they're not all that different, IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
tank bag

Cortech Dryver
Just big enough to hold wallet, keys, cell phone extra gloves if needed, earplugs, map, small camera....... you get it, all the stuff you tend to grab fast. And best of all it is tank ring mounted so no contact or scratching of tank, it looks good and is waterproof

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tank Bag

Like the rest of you I thought about it long and hard before making a choice. I did not want something too large and did not want a magnetic bag. I chose a Cortech Super Mini Tank Bag with a strap Base. Here are some pictures of it on my 2012 Wee-Strom. I only have about 1400 miles with this bag but have found it holds most of what I need in front, keys, phone, ipod, water bottle, wallet, glasses etc. and it is secure and does not move even on rough off road rides. Here are some other pics of the bike with Givi engine guard and Givi Micro 2 top case. V-Strom 650 pictures by mcaron255 - Photobucket

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I got this seven liter magnetic tank bag. My problem is the side magnets have nothing to grab on to as the colored sections on either side of the tank are apparently not metal. I could still attach the lone strap that came with it to the handlebar. Other than that, I like the small size. Givi has some tank lock bags which are pricey, but seem neat. Though their small one is four liters, but has a clear plastic sleeve on top for your iphone so you can play Angry Birds while you ride.

edit: Doh, I just needed to be smarter than the tank bag, it works fine. I folded the side flaps under it as well found two smaller magnet flaps and the bag holds like a champ. I think I'll still do the strap for safe measure.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I noticed a snag in the zipper of my Luggage Locker yesterday and thought that if it's not covered under warranty, I am going to need a new tank bag. In the end, it repaired itself but if it hadn't , I also would go with the Cortech Dryver bag. I already have the tank ring. SW Motech is popular too, but I had a bad experience with two bags in a row.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I used to buy ginormous tank bags and stuff the crap out of them, wrong mindset as I see it now. I want a small tank bag (7-10 liters), for my wallet, cell phone, small camera, folded map and maybe a small plastic bottle of water. Anything else I used to think I need in the tank bag, I realize I don't and it can go in rear luggage.

Magnetic bags are primarily what I've run for decades. Gas stops are easy, just pick up the bag and set it forward over the bars, move it back when done. It takes longer to read that sentence than to do it.

If I was buying new today, I'd look at another magnetic bag or one of the tank ring bags if I had a bike with a plastic tank. Last time I used a tank bag with harness/straps was 1982 and I wouldn't use one now if given it for free.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got a whole harem of tank bags in the garage :). 3 Wolfman, an Ogio, and a Nelson Rigg. I use the Enduro on my DR650 and the Rainier on my Vee, both seem to fit the respective bike well. I'll admit the Rainier is huge, but it fits my lunchbox perfectly with enough room to spare for my keys, wallet, cell phone, and other sundries. My number one choice.

Honorable mention goes to the Ogio Tanker, I've got the most mileage on it and despite a few shortcomings and odd design choices, it works great for bags with metal tanks. It was a bit big for my KLR, but it fits the Strom well. Hard to find these days though...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I started this Wiki page:
http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/Tank+Bags

Need to add all the other solutions there (or somebody can help me do that).

I own a Bags Connection Citi Evo with map holder and love it. Not too big, not too small, secure and even comes with a rain cover (that I have tested in the rain - it works)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Bags Connection "Engage"

Pros:
Tank-ring mount for easy fitting and removal; no straps required
Shaped to follow contour of the DL's fuel tank (i.e., could pass for factory)
Effective rain cover included, as is a carry strap and storage bag
Integrated mount snaps for accessory GPS holder
Larger version (Engage XL) available, if needed
Cons:
Bag does not expand
Map pocket must be purchased separately
Even as tank bags go, the Bags Connection brand is rather expensive

Note that the Engage series have undergone a design change, and will appear a bit different than my bag pictured here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts