StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed 3 bikes in the parking lot and 3 with tank bags and no other storage.

This is the first period I'm riding with only the tank bag as it fits my laptop amongst lots of other things if needed.

Is this a trend away from top cases:confused:

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Not necessarily. You just saw a few bikes that aren't set for hauling a bunch of stuff.
I don't bother to take off the saddle bags or trunk so I have lots of room all the time. having all the luggage doesn't seem to affect the ride so I leave it in place.
Some folks are so aesthetically afflicted they cringe at the sight of a overly luggaged bike. I cast a blind eye.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use my luggage all the time for shopping, swimming etc or just to lock my tank bag and helmet when the bike is left out in public and out of my site.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Top cases have been losing favour for a while, no idea why. Mine never leaves the bike.

I have an oem tank bag for my Tenere, I've never even put it on the bike. Between the top case, panniers, and two 30L dry bags when camping, I don't need any more space.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Besides the luggage i use tank panniers and a tank bag when on a camp out. Tank bag has the hydration bag plus what ever else I put into it like munchy travel bars.
One can never have enough storage space when the need to have more stuff strikes.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I find a tank bag very handy for things that I want to get to quickly without having to get off the bike.
eg. microfiber (wet and dry) to clean the visor, water bottle, camera, lip balm, map, pen, etc.

With the tank bag, I can pack my top box and panniers such that I don't need to rummage through them during the day.

You really don't need a very big one. This one I find very useful and plenty big enough for me.

https://fortnine.ca/en/cortech-super-2-0-10-liter-tank-bag

·
Registered
291 Posts
My V2 has side bags, top case, and tank bag nearly 100% of the time... Don't see any reason in taking them off and they come in handy quite often.. Have a 60 liter drybag that straps across the backseat if I'm motocamping..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hate the look of a giant tank bag 1/2 way up to the riders chin worse than any hard or soft luggage. A a small to medium tank bag is fine, and I have one I use mainly for a smart toll transponder.

I bought my V-Strom specifically because it had a large top case. It is by far the most used case though I also have my rain gear packed in one side case. The one that gets opened and used nearly every ride is the top case.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tank Bag, OEM Panniers, No Top Box

Typical livery for me. I keep ready access stuff in the tank bag, rain suit in the smaller right pannier and use the larger left side for light errand running.I have not taken a trip longer than one overnite on the 'Strom yet, but I have a set of Chase Harper Sport Tour saddlebags with a total capacity of 65 liters which will replace the OEM panniers on longer trips. They worked pretty well on my '01 ZX11, along with an integrated "sissy bar" Ventura rear bag. I may get a duffel-style top bag to replace the Ventura if I need one; I tend to maximize my minimalism.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I used a borrowed tank bag once, on my first IronButt SS1000, in total, a 6500 mile trip after the initial 1000

imho, a big inconvenience to remove it every time you get gas, never wasted my $$, bought a cheap $15 Walmart backpack and I bungee it behind me

every mc jacket I have has huge inside chest pockets plenty big enough for wallet, carry gun, etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had a tank bag on my Aprilia. I loved it. The straps had quick connects on it. I would just disconnect two and flip the bag back to fill the tank. Takes ten seconds. Not really an issue for me. The straps did wear the clear coat dull where they rubbed though. The strom tank has more plastic protection on it then the Aprilia.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I found that a small tank bag (for glasses, & garage door opener) supplemented with a cargo net across the pillion works fine on the work commute. If I think I will need to haul anything, I'll throw on the panniers or top case. I used to keep the top box on all the time, but it rattles so badly, I can't stand to have it on the bike unless it's loaded

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I had a "Tank Locker" tank bag I originally purchased for my Triumph that actually locked to the bike with a key. It was easy to remove.

By the time I bought the Strom, the company called "Luggage Locker" wanted too much money for a separate tank ring, so I converted the bag to the Strom using a Givi tank ring. Even though the tank rings were different completely, they were both in different places on the bottom of the bag and both still mounted. I could use it on both bikes, except the Givi ring would not lock it on the Strom. But it could remove in seconds for carrying if needed.

Eventually, I sold the Triumph and gave the guy the mount for that bike. To the point, I never rode without my tank bag. I just always found it too convenient, like a console in a car. The tank locker was expandable so it could hold a lot or a little. I've done long day rides in the Colorado mountains with just the tank bag for storage. If there were only one piece of fixed luggage, it's what I would choose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use my tank bag to hold my hydration bladder so I can routinely get water when riding. I don’t like riding with a backpack so the tank bag is the most convenient location. Anything else in my tank bag would easily go into the top case or my pockets.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I can't say I've seen the same preference for tank bags over top boxes around here.

For commuting duty, I keep the Givi 46L on my bike all the time, and it holds the stuff that comes and goes with me (lunch, briefcase, etc.). I also keep the Givi panniers on full-time, and they serve as my bike's 'trunk' -- rain gear, toolkit, straps, bungey net, and so on.

The tank bag only comes out for longer rides, so it can be used for power cables, water, a map, and other stuff I may need easier access to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have tank bag for my V3 but rarely use it for the same reasons others have mentioned. No side bags or cases but I do have a soft tail bag I keep on all the time that is basically my “trunk”. I’ll keep a rain liner, first aid kit, and anything I pick up and I just use a backpack for laptop/work stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I also haven't noticed a surge in popularity with tank bags here. I've had a Givi Tanklock bag on the bike for about 5 years and love it, it never comes off. Great for small stuff, I can change gloves or get a drink at red lights, it has a map holder (I don't have GPS) and comes off for gassing up much easier than the strap and magnet types.

I have soft throw over bags for overnighters/camping only, I like keeping the bike light with no extra stuff.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I went to a Givi tank lock-type bag recently for specific reasons.
1- for a map pouch. My old magnetic pouch would not conform well to the '18 VStrom tank.
2- my hard side cases and trunk box have minor high freq. vibration buzz flowing through them and I didn't want to subject my small camera kit to those constant vibes. The top of the gas tank without anything on it is dead smooth of these vibrations making this the best suited place to keep my camera.

That I can have a water bottle and other small convenience items handy is just an added perk. Otherwise, I've never been a fan of the look of tank bags.

Steve.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
987 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
to stay comfortable I may add/subtract gear so luggage capacity is a plus. My luggage is on board permanently. Saddlebags + tank bag.

Deserts experience large diurnal temperature differences. I remember one 70 F day in Death Valley National Park followed by a 20 F morning. (drinking water in the tent turned to slush). Elevation differences between mountains and valleys often find 10+ F temperature differences. and of course all the fun rides go up into the mountains.

just checking today's forecast I see 37 F to 72 F for Bishop, CA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts