StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a perfectly good tank bag in my plunder, but how to mount it. I had a nice Cortech with magnets in the apron but that the paint is so fragile on our bikes, I have one scratch
already. Ugh. The parts I used were from my bolt drawer and are common to any hardware store. Im going to Arkansas next weekend for a little riding, I'll see how this works out.
The spacer, nylon, lets me lift the bag for fueling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
That is cool. Maybe attach a microfiber towel to the bottom of the bag so it doesn't scratch your paint off?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure that tank lock system is good. I 'm just trying to use stuff I have already. The whole base of the bag rests on plastic trim on top of the tank.
Nothing touching the paint. I think it will be alright.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
You could buy some stickers to protect the plastic trim then. :)

A roll of generic 1/8" thick multi purpose rubber costs about $12 at home Depot in Canada, probably $5 in US. Contact cement would hold it on. I made some tank knee guards from it and it is holding up OK so far.

I like cheap if it doesn't detract from looks or functionality.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
When I was using a magnetic bag I cut a hole in the base big enough to open the fuel filler cap so I could refuel without removing the bags base.

This lessened the chance of getting crap on the magnets.

You could maybe do the same with your system, PS; I like it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure that tank lock system is good. I 'm just trying to use stuff I have already.
I'm all for that. Tired of spending on expensive tank bag "systems".. like my BMW, and Tenere. Suzuki or Motech look great but they are expensive.

So I have a nice 18L Marsee tank bag from years ago that I've been using. It's a little large since it's made for a flat tank but I'm trying to deal with it since it's like new and.. I'm cheap.. haha. I'll probably get something better at some point.

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used the OEM Suzuki bag for two years & 16K miles-very satisfied with it. It uses a ring lock. Fits perfectly, works great, easy off/on for refueling. It probably was expensive but the price quickly wears off, whereas an ill-fitting bag or one that doesn't work well will haunt you for years. So, I'm with 2stroke-don't be cheap-get something that works and looks good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't be cheap and get something that works, and looks good.
Okay, thanks.. haha. I think I needed that push.

I just bought the Touratech Low Profile tankbag, specifically designed for the V-Strom 1000 2014+. Got it in ONE day, lol.. amazing.. It's expensive ($230) but is a dang perfect fit on the Vee2. I debated the various options for quite awhile.. nothing seemed quite right due to the flat tank with sloping rear.. so I was surprised at the fit.. and it's large enough (9L) to actually hold something useful. Strap mount, but solid. Looks great. I don't like magnets and I didn't want to spend $250-300 for a full tank ring setup. Very pleased.

Reactions: 2stroke
1 - 13 of 13 Posts