StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you tank-baggers...

They all seem to offer magnetic and strap options. There are also the ring clamp options.

Do you find that the magnetic ones work well enough with the available metal on the VStrom's tank? For touring, do you recommend strapping it in place?

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
I've always used magnetic ...the new ones are so strong there is no "
lift off issue" on a bike with a windscreen.

There is scratching potential. Hate straps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends on the size. Small tank bags seem to magnet onto the small metal area OK. Big ones have higher loads (eg hit a bump, it tries to fly off) and no more magnet so I would be cautious. Friends with the tank ring mounts report they work well and are very convenient but their bags are all small or medium. I am concerned there would be a lot of stress in a small area (unfounded so far I must admit) , plus they are WAY more expensive.

My tank bag is quite large and I am nervous so I went with the strap on option. It is absolutely bomb proof - stays on even when the bike is dropped - and I can carry a ton of stuff. I load it up with ready use items (eg rain gear, camera, snacks) plus heavy stuff (canned food, beer). This helps improve the balance of the bike as compared to loading it all out the back.

I got a large but cheap bag from Fleabay, (branded Scoyco or something but knowing Fleabay the same thing will be a different brand tomorrow), it is not perfect but works really well for the money, fits the Strom well. It came with direct straps plus a tank bra that stays on the bike so the bag attaches with just 4 x clips. FWIW the tank bra also provides a bit of cushioning from the lumpy stuff in the bag.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a magnetic, still do, but have found it is subject to being dislodged in strong winds, especially side ones. Be sure to have a safety strap in case it does come off. I made a great catch once on a highway doing about 70 mph narrowly preventing it from disappearing.

The ring clamp works awesome and is very secure and easily installed, so that is now my preferred option.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Neither...

I've had tanklock bags from givi and sw motech of various sizes. Absolutely love the ease of use and portability. At the moment sporting sw motech bags on my dl650. Have a small one for daily commute and a larger one for touring. Same tank lock ring used on both, so the bags swap out in under 10 seconds. You couldn't pay me to use anything else.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The third one.

I'm a simple guy, i went for givi tanklock. Slap it on, pull the lever to remove.

Barely used it though.

It does look nice.

But all tank bags suck, none are waterproof.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Same as MariusD above^^ Ringlock Suzuki OEM Accessory, by Bags Connection(SW Motech.)
I too have the large and small bags and the spacer recommended for the large bag. I started with the small, 6 months later I bought the large and the small hasnt been on my '14 DL1K since.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
You have to use proper waterproof bags for electronic gear in them.
The covers are reasonably waterproof,

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Dowco Fastrax 19L magnetic and really like it a lot. It expands to 27L and the magnets are strong as hell. I noticed a tiny spot of paint missing on my tank so I installed a tank pad on the bike to cushion the magnet contact area. Seems to work fine. I really like the hi vis green interior of the bag because you can find things easily in it. Kinda like an light that comes on automatically when you open the bag. These are selling as close outs now with Amazon selling them for $110.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I went with the "SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO Engage Tank Bag". Its on the smaller side (7 liters) but suits me perfectly for daily use to hold wallet, keys, gloves, cell phone etc. Very quick to take off and lock in trunk or bring with you for added security.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
I have owned and used all three types.

I will NEVER use a magnetic tank bag again. While some may think they are strong enough to stay in place, I have not found one that is.

Strap types are cheap and more or less universal. Work plenty good. For a very large tank bag, this may well still be the best option. Keep the area under the bag clean and there is less chance of scratching. But the chance of scratching is still there if not careful with the pad under the bag.

Once you use a tank lock style tank bag you won't ever want any other kind. There is simply no comparison in convenience. In not scratching. I learned years ago that a tank bag isn't meant for everything you own, keep the size down and it is much easier to live with. No hitting the bars when turning, blowing the horn when it hits the button and so on.

If there is any way to scratch the money together for a tank lock style do it. Givi has a complete line of tank lock bags and mounts at good prices. If you ride any longer distances, the tank lock advantages add up quickly. I may fill up 3-4 times a day, which is one lever to move to release the tank bag to get to the fuel cap. Then I take it off and in with me to eat or to take a break. That convenience is a real advantage.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
I find the tank lock ones very awkward in practice and the power of the newer magnets much higher than earlier ones.
Cross winds can be an issue for older tank bags with large flaps and weaker magnets.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
The third one.

I'm a simple guy, i went for givi tanklock. Slap it on, pull the lever to remove.

Barely used it though.

It does look nice.

Well, you can't dunk them in a lake, but for normal showers that you ride through all the ones I've owned have been waterproof enough. As Macdoc mentioned, you should put electronics in something, ziplock baggies work for me.
If you put the rain cover on, you can ride all day in a deluge without worry.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Another vote for tank lock. I don't think the newest Vees have enough exposed steel to attach a magnetic bag.

I have the SW Moto Evo 7 liter. Not very large, but suits my needs nicely. It clicks off easily, and with some practice, it clicks back into position.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Magnetic for a metal tank. i just push it off to the right side and gas and go. I do have the strap around the handlebars though.
The current bag is a Joe Rocket and not too tall. With Aerostich tank panniers, I don't need the room in the tank bag. Just maps and my hydration pack.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just did a 3 day trip with a Givi tanklock bag. My older tankbag is a magnetic Oxford. In the Southwest it is windy season and I definitely see the tanklock as a better design. The Oxford would get blown off in a strong side wind, good thing I have it on a tether. Once I got used to the unlocking of the Givi everything was great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My strom was fitted with a tank lock SW Motech bag when I bought it. It is a little awkward the first few times trying to get it to click on, but with practice it isn't a problem. I'm not sure of the size, but it holds gloves, wallet, iPhone, multi-tool, garage opener, and a 20oz Powerade. Take out gloves and two Powerades fit. Unless you need to fit huge amounts of gear in one, go with the tank lock bag.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you use a magnetic tank bag do not leave it on the bike 24/7. Years ago my wife had a Gen 2 Ninja 250 and she left a Mantha mag tank bag on for weeks on end. One day i pulled it off and the paint was ever so slightly distorted where the 3 magnets were. In all fairness her bike was a metallic dark blue so maybe that why it was noticeable.

I still use the bag from time to time but when not in use it struck on the tool box.

I also had a Wolfman Rainier strap type tank bag and it worked okay. At a fuel stop unclick the 2 back quick connects flop the bag forward and gas up.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
I've had strap and magnetic bags, but once I went with the Givi tank lock system......I'm sold on it. Plenty of size choices, very high end bags and the system works very well, plus never have to worry about scratching up your tank paint. :smile2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
givi tanklock for my vstrom and sw-motech strap style (with zip off bag) for my crf250l ..both work great..the tanklock is the way to go for the vstrom..glad I spent the extra money

1 - 20 of 56 Posts