StromTrooper banner

Tank Bag Help

951 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sactownridder 
#1 ·
It seems that the magnets in my Eclipse Contour tank bag have eaten through the wierd rubber like material they used on the base pad. Unfortunately, I failed to notice this before it took a chip out of the paint on my tank. Grrr.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a source for the material or any ideas for a better type of replacement material. I was thinking that a layer for 2-3mm neoprene would be good but then it occurred to me that it might be too slippery. If the magnets require the added grip of the rubberized material it might lead to the bag departing the bike at a most inopportune moment.

It looks like a fairly simple repair job if I can find a source for material.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I would think that the rubber grip surface material that they sell at Home Depot/Lowes for lining cabinet shelves for dishes/china should work pretty well.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Agreed - try Home Depot or the like.

One note of caution on magnetic bags - watch out what those magnets pick up before you put them on. I picked up an old staple (the big kind) once when my JRManta was sitting on a cafe booth seat. Saw it just before slapping it back on the tank after lunch. I always seem to slide the bag around a bit to set it 'just right' and would have done a number on the paint. Now I look VERY carefully before it gets near the bike.

#4 ·
Hmm, I have a roll of that shelf liner sitting in the truck, I'll have to give it try. It's certainly meets the non-skid criteria.

I usually dust off the tank with a glove before dropping the bag on it, I can only imagine how much damage a staple would do if it was trapped between the tank & bag. Good thing you caught it in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.