StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a tank bag for a 2012+ that meets the following criteria:

1. Can hold a full size DSLR/lens and one extra lens, along with some other small items like a phone, snacks, etc.
  2. Doesn't have to be camera specific with lots of padding but enough that it holds its shape or could have some padding added.
  3. Very water resistant or close to waterproof.
  4. Strong enough to handle 4 - 5 lbs of weight.
  5. Reasonably easy to remove.
Any other suggestions from those that carry DSLRs would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
99 Posts
tank bag

I have a Wolfman Rainier tankbag on my vStrom650 and I think it meets most of your requirements. I have often had a full-size DSLR and an extra lens in it. I typically cushion the camera gear with an extra set of gloves, hat or similar. I find it easy to access the camera with this setup. It easily holds 4-5 pounds. I chose the buckle/strap mounts because I just didn't trust a magnetic mount, although I must add that I have no experience with a magnetic mount either. I have an extra set of straps and buckles mounted on my KLR and I can easily swap the tankbag from one to the other. I added an extra strap and buckle to the tankbag so I can use it as a "one-strap-backpack" when I need to carry it with me. When I'm not using it that way the extra strap tucks into one of the side pockets. The Rainier also has an expandable feature, but I rarely use that.

The only requirement I'm not sure of is its water-resistance. I'm sure it's somewhat resistant but certainly not waterproof. I suppose one could spray it with Scotch-Guard or something similar. My cameras haven't gotten wet yet but that's only my experience with it. It does have an optional rain cover available but I don't have that.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but since I'm getting ready to head out on a camping trip with my son, so I may possibly have one in a couple days.

Gary

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary - Googled it and it looks like a nice bag. $175 is a little pricey, but I'm fine to pay for the right bag.

Pete

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on your DSLR's size, the Tourmaster/Cortech Super 14 or the Super 18 or the Motocentric 14 or 19.
My usual setup for travel is a Nikon D300 (without the grip), 18-200 mm travel lens, 35mm prime, half dozen compact flash cards and cleaning equipment. Not an overly large setup.

Pete

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I used a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag in my '07 with guts cannibalized from old camera bags. Worked great, don't know if it'll fit a 2012, though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I usually ride with a DSLR and also like the Wolfman tank bags, but prefer less bulk up front and chose the smaller Explorer Lite rather than the Ranier.

1. Can hold a full size DSLR/lens and one extra lens, along with some other small items like a phone, snacks, etc - I have a full-frame Nikon D700 but usually travel with 35mm and 50mm primes which are small. I can fit my big 24-70 f2.8 zoom in there too, but have to expand the bag if I also want to carry my water bottle, gloves, and other stuff.
  2. Doesn't have to be camera specific with lots of padding but enough that it holds its shape or could have some padding added - It's very well padded. You can also velcro some extra dividers from other camera bags into it, but I didn't feel this was necessary. Pro SLR gear is tough.
  3. Very water resistant or close to waterproof - It will hold up to a sprinkle or light showers. There is a rain cover available, but if it's pouring that heavily you'd probably be better off throwing the whole bag into a top or side case.
  4. Strong enough to handle 4 - 5 lbs of weight - Easily. My camera gear alone weighs more than that, and I also pack a 400ml water bottle, keys, wallet, charging cables, gloves, and so on in there.
  5. Reasonably easy to remove - I have a Cortech Super Mini magnetic from my last bike which is a great little bag. HOWEVER the plastic tank covers on the 2012 make it difficult to mount a magnetic bag properly, especially a big one full of heavy camera gear. The Wolfman strap mount (with a few tweaks and mods) is bulletproof and rock solid on our bikes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Expedition ones are very nice too and would suit your purposes. I would miss their signature zipper crescent pocket at the back though. It is unbelievable how much I have come to love and rely on that pocket. (It's the center console cupholder of my bike, aka stuff repository) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Givi 14-18L, T489 Tanklock

I had the same problem last Thursday, with a big ride on Friday. I ended up with a Givi Tanklock bag... you're a bit at the mercy of the store's stock at closing time. Chose the smaller size to avoid conflict with the handlebars. It holds my Canon 60D in its big leather case (that thing you see sticking out in the picture), a wallet, a small bottle of Coke, and probably all the SD cards anyone could own! I'm happy with the small size, since I didn't want a big blocky thing out in front of me. Easy on, easy off. Fast access to the camera.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the SW-Motech Citybag and have had it on my last 3 bikes and find it works well for me. When I take my D90 with me on the bike there's plenty of room even with my large 24-70 F/2.8. I've electrified my bag so I can charge my cell or run my heated jacket if need be too from there. I don't usually carry extra lenses in the tank bag, but keep them in one of the saddlebags if I bring more than one.

I really like the quick connect tank ring system and the fact that it keeps the bag off my tank. My riding buddies have had the paint worn off their tanks or serious scratching when dirt/dust got under their strap systems and made their tanks look like hell. My bag doesn't touch the tank at all. The ring and connecting system was just re-designed and connects easier than ever now too. The system even came with an ABS drilling template and drill bit and took about 20 minutes to install.

It comes with a rain cover and straps for carrying around. There are no internal compartments but I just wrap my D90 in a towel or a couple of clean shop rags. I can get at it very quickly when needed!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Expedition ones are very nice too and would suit your purposes. I would miss their signature zipper crescent pocket at the back though. It is unbelievable how much I have come to love and rely on that pocket. (It's the center console cupholder of my bike, aka stuff repository) :mrgreen:
Good point - that pocket would be very useful!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Any other suggestions from those that carry DSLRs would be appreciated.
I carry all my DSLR gear in a Lowepro Slingshot 300 stowed in my Givi E52 trunk. I prefer the security and weather protection of the hard case for my expensive gear, and it really doesn't take long to access if I want it. If I think I'll be wanting it really quick, I move my D300 and lens to my Marsee 20 litre magnetic tank bag, but that is a temporary thing.

I tether a point & shoot to my tank bag for the quick snapshots.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the quick connect tank ring system and the fact that it keeps the bag off my tank. My riding buddies have had the paint worn off their tanks or serious scratching when dirt/dust got under their strap systems and made their tanks look like hell. My bag doesn't touch the tank at all. The ring and connecting system was just re-designed and connects easier than ever now too. The system even came with an ABS drilling template and drill bit and took about 20 minutes to install.

Thanks Don - I don't like the idea of drilling but the idea of it not touching the tank is nice.

Extra credit for the moose photo as well :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I wouldn't trust a DSLR in a tank bag in the rain.

But I do carry the camera plus and extra lens in my cortech 18L when the weather is nce. All the rest of the camera gear is in the trunk inside the camera bag.

No point in having the camera along if you don't use it, and when it is in the tank bag it gets used.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Don - I don't like the idea of drilling but the idea of it not touching the tank is nice.

Extra credit for the moose photo as well :thumbup:
You don't drill anything on the bike. Only to fit the quick release plate to the bag... a one time event.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok - I've narrowed it down to two bags:

Wolfman Ranier - $165.00

SW Motech City - $265.00

I really do like the tank ring mount of the SW Motech, but $100 (extra over the Wolfman) buys a lot of fuel! Time to hit some shops.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Pete

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ok - I've narrowed it down to two bags:

Wolfman Ranier - $165.00
SW Motech City - $265.00
Funny, those were the same two bags that made my final shortlist too (must be a Canadian thing). In the end I decided that the strap mount really didn't bother me that much, and from a purely vanity perspective, I preferred the "adv" look of the Wolfman.

Let us know what you get. If you do decide to do the Ranier, mine came with what I believe is the '07 KLR harness, and I figured out a really nice unobtrusive way to mount it on the Strom.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Hey Pete,

Do share on how you mounted your Ranier with the KLR harness. I have an Expedition Lite w/the KLR harness. Appreciate your suggestion on where to attach it.

Thanks,

DSR650.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts