StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been too busy researching other farkles to do much tank bag research. I am looking for a tank bag to fit my 2012 wee that will hold my baby with her big gun lens attached (Canon eos 7d slr w/a 28-300L lens and filter). The Camera measures 5.83 x 4.37 x 2.91" and the lens 3.6" x 7.2".

I'll need a tank bag that has a main compartment that 5" deep by 11.5" long and 6.5" wide.

I'd like it to secure to the tank and pehaps have a shoulder strap for off the bike. The whole rig weighs about 5lbs so that also may be an issue as well.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the poor quality images. Not my camera.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the Motocentric Mototrek 19 At Motorcycle Superstore for $72. The strap base fit fine and the main compartment is large. 5.5inx9inx16in. I like a large tank bag and this one fit my 12 Adventure fine...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I searched every review on this site I could find when I bought my tank bag, and decided I could not go wrong with a Wolfman. I can't give you the size specs, but they have several options. After buying one, I agree that they are well worth the money.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll ahve a look at those two brands.

cheers

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Rapid Transit Recon 19.

I use it with my DSLR with a lens that is about the same length.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Givi TankLock T480 Tank Bag

Dimensions 7.8-11.8"H x 12.2"L x 10.6"W

Will that work?

Bonus is that it uses the tank lock system, so no tank scratches.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I took the Wolfman Explorer off my KLR and it fits the Vstrom perfectly. Lots of room. It does get in the way a bit when you're on the pegs, but it's not a big deal.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
No way I would ever put something worth that much money into a soft bag.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My Pentax program plus road all about the Inidian Himal on an Enfield a soft case (twice), my Konica Minolta 7d crossed the Askai Chin & Tibet on my Chinese 150 on terrible roads in a soft case, my 40d & 28-300L went from Santiago to Ushuaia and up to Bolivia mostly on washboard gravel in a soft case, my 7d & 28-300 has gone from N Chile to the Caribbean & back in a soft case and my 20d spent 2 hrs under water after my brother flipped our raft in the Grand Canyon (Crystal Rapids) in a soft dry bag.

Never have I damaged a camera that was properly packed in a good padded soft bag, so I guess we are coming from different angles.

I want it on the tank for quick access and I don't think mounting a Pelican box to the tank is practical. OTH, perhaps mounting a Pelican case to the crash bars may be an option. I might look into that. Then I could lock it on and leave it on the bike if I went into the store etc. I could put a couple of extra lenses (ultra wide & low light wide to medium) on one side & my body & big gun lens on the other. Now that'd be one photo snipin strom! I'd never have to leave the seat!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just maybe a tank mounted Pelican case could be worked out! This is an idea I comped up in pShop using a tank ring suggested by Rydah.

Tank ring sugessted by Rydah:

You could lock the box with a small travel lock and then you could lock the pelican box to the bike w/something like this, it would not be enough to amke me feel comfortable leaving my bike on the streets of Buenos Ares over night (or any metropolitan city for that matter), but it might make me feeel good enough to take a quick restroom break w/o carrying my camera with me.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
Why must it be in a tankbag?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Why must it be in a tankbag?
I want it on the tank for quick access, I'd like to be able to take a quick shot w/o leaving the seat of my vStrom. This is mainly for wildlife. I have missed some great wildlife shots when I spooked my quarry in the process of getting off the seat. But it is also for convenience as well. Sometimes (in National Parks for example), I have wanted to take several photos w/in a few hundred meters and it starts to become a hassle to get on and off so many times. Other times, I have passed on decent photo ops because I was simply in a hurry or couldn't be bothered.

cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
^^^ This is one of the very reasons that I no longer carry the DSLR on the bicycles or motorcycles. I switched over to a waterproof Nikon AW100 for my cycling, motorcycling, hiking, snowshoeing and other outdoor activities. I now get a lot more pictures because of the quick access, either in my tankbag, or I hang it on a lanyard around my neck.

Is the photo quality as good as using my Canon DSLR and primes? No, but my shots are more than acceptable, and on a lot of them, you would have to pixel peep pretty hard.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would go with a pelican case. Todays digital cameras aren't anywhere near as rugged as the fully manual slrs of yesteryear. I had a d300 expire recently and I belive the rough and tumble world of unsecured motorcycle travel may be partly to blame. This time I'll be rocking a pelican 1200.

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts