StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I got my first dog ever, and he's going to ride with me. So far, he's gone to the vet and some friend's houses in a cammelback (he's tiny), with the wife keeping an eye on him as my pillion.

For when he grows, which isn't much (boston terriers are mid sized), I want to sit him in my tank, in front of me. I want him to have a comfortable surface to sit, lay or stand, and if weather gets bad, I can close the tank bag a little. I'm not sure yet if I'll strap the dog to me or to the bike.

Anyway, I'm looking for products that already exist that work for a wee strom, or some DIY ideas.

If anyone travels with their dog and has pics, I'd love to see them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I've met a lot of riders that traveled with their cat or dog. Smaller animals in the tank bag as you suggest and the larger ones in pet carriers where the top box usually resides. Some in the sidecar and some in the trailer.
Just what tank bag worked I don't know. Well, shit. I just googled 'dogs in a motorcycle tank bag' and a bunch of opportunities popped up. Happy googling.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Saw a Dog's head hanging out of a backpack on the highway last week doing about 80 or so. He/she was barking constantly. Didn't look too happy. I'd imagine that was hard on his hearing.

Reactions: Grievous Angel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw a Dog's head hanging out of a backpack on the highway last week doing about 80 or so. He/she was barking constantly. Didn't look too happy. I'd imagine that was hard on his hearing.
You must protect ears and eyes on dogs. Also, have them be really comfortable and happy. If not, it's torture for them

·
Registered
169 Posts
At a stop light in Lake George NY some years back for Americade, burly harley guy pulls up alongside. We nod and then I see that he has a piece of carpet glued to his tank, cat between his legs, paws on tank rug. He tells me the cat digs his front claws into the rug to hang on. The things we see...

·
Registered
597 Posts
There was a movie, THE MOTORCYCLE MOVIE, "On Any Sunday" . among other things there was a desert rider who had carpet on his gas tank and his dog rode there, digging his claws in as needed. the dog read approaching terrain and braced for bumps.

I once had a dog and until he got too big I carried him in a front facing baby carrier. we did gentle off road rides and he loved it. I should have got a bigger front facing baby carrier but I didn't think of it.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Have you perhaps thought of fabricating a frame / platform, to straddle the tank, but clamps to either side of the crash bars / engine guards for support? This should allow for a flat surface area, which allows mounting any housing to protect your riding companion from the elements. The advantage of clamping to the crash bars, is that it can removed when / if required? Remember to take into account the handle bar movement lock to lock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen rugs on tank bags and the dog just hangs on on top of it. Doesn't seem safe at all to me.

@Gert I have been thinking on a DIY project, some kind of platform that won't budge, fixed to the bike, and the dog to it. I've seen DIY plans for stuff like this on the back of the bike, never on the tank.

That's why I'm asking here, I'm looking for a solution hehe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sooo... I bought a really large tank bag that secures to the bike with straps, made a hole at the top, and the dog seems very happy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Care to post a few pix of your tankbag? Where do the straps fasten to?
Hey, I'll get to the pics soon.

The tank bag has a harness that straps to the bike, and you strap the tank bag to the harness. 2 strap points go down, to the chasis under the seat, 2 strap points go to under the handlebars.

I am making 2 more, one on each side that will go directly to the crash bar (going to sow it together with strong threads and nylon straps).
I am also going to sow 2 nylon straps inside the tank bag, that will hold the dog inside of it while we ride. He'll have some wiggle room, but he won't be able to do much more than stretch and put his head out of the hle.

Once done with all this, I'll post pictures.

For now, this is it.

Attachments

·
2015 DL650
153 Posts
I have the Bagster tank bag for dogs. Although I have an '18 DL1000, this should work for you. My dog is a small terrier, about 12lbs. Lots of room in the bag, so I can put her small bed in the bag for more comfort. She loves riding, enjoy!

I also got her the Rex-specs to protect her eyes. I am still training her (i.e. lots of treats), but she isn't a fan of the goggles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also got her the Rex-specs to protect her eyes. I am still training her (i.e. lots of treats), but she isn't a fan of the goggles.
Ha! pic looks great. I'm also training the dog to like the doogles, he looks really funny with them.
Here are some pics.

(don't mind the clothing, it was a slow 5 minute ride)
(and that's my puppy's normal face)

IMG-20200704-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20200627-WA0007.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the Bagster tank bag for dogs. Although I have an '18 DL1000, this should work for you. My dog is a small terrier, about 12lbs. Lots of room in the bag, so I can put her small bed in the bag for more comfort. She loves riding, enjoy!

View attachment 274468
Hey, what do you do if it rains?I just realized that will be a problem with my setup

·
2015 DL650
153 Posts
I avoid the rain when riding with my dog. The Bagster is water resistant, not waterproof. There is a door/ lid that closes to prevent rain and other debri from entering the carrier Attached are some additional pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts