StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading on another trip soon and was wondering if any new of a good quality photography tank bag. I have seen the touratech ones but am not keen on the price. I need it for my new digital SLR and lenss etc.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I use a Bags Connection unit but you will have trouble fitting more than a single decent sized DSLR and one lens into all but the largest bags.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have just purchased a small magnetic Held Crony tankbag but I only have a compact Canon A590
Just wondering if the magnets have any effect on your data cards ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have just purchased a small magnetic Held Crony tankbag but I only have a compact Canon A590
Just wondering if the magnets have any effect on your data cards ?
When you place the magnets against the tanks, the magnetic lines of flux take the path of least resistance, this would be the very close steel tank. The flux lines will not magically jump up into the tank bag just to take revenge upon you and kill your portable drives. No worry, your safe.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
When you place the magnets against the tanks, the magnetic lines of flux take the path of least resistance, this would be the very close steel tank. The flux lines will not magically jump up into the tank bag just to take revenge upon you and kill your portable drives. No worry, your safe.
Equipment such as digital cameras, MP3 players, etc. do not use magnetic media. It has nothing to do with the direction of the lines of magnetic flux, it isn't magnetic media to start with and as such is not susceptible to magnetic fields.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It's an AC field that erases magnetic media, not a DC field like from magnets. Besides, memory cards are not magnetic.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Top box!

I also use the top box for my DSLR and lens as it can be cushioned and left locked at stopoffs when not in use. My camera bag fits in nicely!

When using my compact camera, more so on trips away, I leave it mounted on my 'travelin' bracket' I made up using an old tripod mount. That way it can be taken off to take a shot very easily and also used in position on photo or video mode (a bit jumpy on video). I like the ease of access to take shots.. however a ride buddy straps his very compact camera onto his jacket and gets great shots using that method.. something to think about.

Good luck in your search for a solution.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Why the foam and the spare battery?

I just shove my camera in with my wallet and other stuff. If I have a spare set of gloves with me I put them under the camera. I've never taken the 800 or so images that are needed to flatten the battery on a ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have heard that the cameras can take quite a bit of abuse, but the foam is there because the SLR is a very expensive luxury for me, and I am trying to look after it the best I can.
The battery is there because I think it may come in handy in my planned ride around OZ.

Mick.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The photographer that rides with our group uses a pelican box as a rear trunk bag with the appropriate foam inserts for all his lenses and camera accessories. Works perfectly. I like to keep a point and shoot digital on a lanyard around my neck. Learn to shoot it upside down using your left hand and your thumb. You'll always get the best shots!:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts