StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just purchased an 05 650 and I'm new to the bike and the forum.

I've had the bike for just a week and and have made several short trips and it has started and runs perfectly. Only 3k on the odometer.

However I purchased a new tank bag this weekend and placed it on for the ride home from the store. I turned on the key, pressed the start button and nothing happened. It was as if the kill switch near the grip was off.

I checked fuses, all good. I cleaned the battery terminals and removed the tank bag and it fired right up. I assumed it was the terminals so this morning I put the tank bag on and headed out for a long ride. Same thing, no start and the "chec" lcd was blinking. I turned off the key, removed the tank bag, waited a few minutes and it started right up and no "chec" indicator.

I left the bag off and went for my ride and had several stops and starts with no issue. I'm taking the bag back tomorrow since somehow this is the problem. It's either creating a venting issue or the magnets in the bag are creating some type of electrical malfunction.

I've used tank bags for years and have never had anything like this. Have any of you heard or experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I've used tank bags for years and have never had anything like this. Have any of you heard or experienced anything similar?
I've used both magnetic and non magnetic tank bags for over 30 years and never heard that one before. Are you sure that you are not turning full left lock with the bars and knocking the kill switch off?

Telling us the make and model of the Tank Bag might help as well.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Wow, never heard that one before. I've had several tank bags with magnets and never had a problem. Do a little test. Leave the bag off and see if the bike starts normally. If it does immediately shut down the bike and put the tank bag in place and start the bike. I really don't think it's related. Check the wire connection at the clutch leaver and make sure it's secure and clean.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The magnets in tank bags aren't remotely powerful enough to interfere with the bike starting. There must be another explanation. Have you tried idling the bike and then adding the bag?

·
Registered
392 Posts
tank bag

It's possible that you have a venting fuel cap and the tank bag is plugging the vent when the tank is hot, when it cools it causes a vacuum on the tank preventing the fuel pump from working.

Take the bag off and the vent's open and the pump can work again.

Just guessing :)

Bill H.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
It's possible that you have a venting fuel cap and the tank bag is plugging the vent when the tank is hot, when it cools it causes a vacuum on the tank preventing the fuel pump from working.

Take the bag off and the vent's open and the pump can work again.

Just guessing :)

Bill H.

Can't be that. He hits the start button and nothing happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could you be wiggling the clutch lever wire when you put the bag on and off? Just enough for it to be a problem.
I know I have disconnected it by accident when I had the handbars at lock and put my tank bag on. Mine is also magnetic, but it wasn't the bag that was the problem. It was the operation of putting it on that was incorrect for me. Now I make sure the handle bars are unlocked and pointed straight.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My guess would be a short in the wiring to the tank that is allowing the magnetic field from the tank bag to activate/ trip something in the ECU. Check all wires under the tank.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Could you be wiggling the clutch lever wire when you put the bag on and off? Just enough for it to be a problem.
I know I have disconnected it by accident when I had the handbars at lock and put my tank bag on.
I'd put my money here.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
My guess would be a short in the wiring to the tank that is allowing the magnetic field from the tank bag to activate/ trip something in the ECU. Check all wires under the tank.

The magnets would have to be so powerful that you could lift the bike using them. they simply are not strong enough to be creating a magnetic field big enough for that to happen.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
I had a similar issue after fueling up with my tank bag with straps pushed over on the right side. It turned off the kill switch and it took me a few moments to figure that out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses and I apologize for my slow response but I was never notified I had messages. I guess I need to adjust my preferences since I'm new here.

I just had the bike a week, only 2800 miles, very clean. Plenty of starts and riding for several days before I bought the tank bag. After my purchase I took it outside placed it where I wanted and it completely shut the bike down after I hit the starter. The bike was completely dead, no headlight, nothing.

Since my original post and a couple more days of riding with no bag, I've had no issue whatsoever.

The bag is definitely the issue but it is either the magnets or the rubber bottom restricting the vent. I don't know enough about the bike yet know the warning signs. I ordered a manual but it is not here yet.

I'd like to try it one more time but I'm afraid I could permanently foul something up.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Puzzling. Never had a magnetic tank bag. Could the magnet be powerful enough to affect something? A relay somewhere? It seems like you eliminated the other possibilities. Just for fun get a powerful magnet like something out of a speaker and stick it on your tank and see. It's too weird. Did a previous owner install something?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
magnets

I did a one day ride with the tank bag's magnetic base only (its a map holder in this mode) on my 2007 Wee - no issues at all

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Could the magnet be powerful enough to affect something?
If it is I hope the OP does want to have children sitting that close to it. :)

I'd still like to see what happens if you fit the bag with the bike already running.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The bike was completely dead, no headlight, nothing.

...... the rubber bottom restricting the vent.
Well it definitely isn't that. If it were the electrical system would start work it's just that the bike would starve of fuel.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Get a magnatometer and check for flux leakage, the tank is ferromagnetic, and any leakage will hold flux at the site and in the nearby areas, particularly where there is a change in density.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts