StromTrooper banner

Taller Windshield for DL1000-K2

8013 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  getset
Hello Everyone,
I have had my 02 DL1000 for about a week now, and I am really enjoying it in every way except one.

The buffeting at highway speeds is insane!

Can anyone reccommend a good windhsielf updgrade?
I have been thinking about getting the tall Givi Screen.

I got a great deal on my bike, but I really wish I could get the madstad!
Thanks,
Mike
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Windshield

Hi, I changed mine to a California Scientific with a Mostad (I think it is called) adjustable mount. This worked well for me. No buffeting. You might want to search forum for others ideas.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
taller windshield

Hello Everyone,
I have had my 02 DL1000 for about a week now, and I am really enjoying it in every way except one.

The buffeting at highway speeds is insane!

Can anyone reccommend a good windhsielf updgrade?
I have been thinking about getting the tall Givi Screen.

I got a great deal on my bike, but I really wish I could get the madstad!
Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

When I bought my '02 Strom (used in 2004) I took a dremel to the stock windshield and chopped it to sportbike height for use in summer, and purchased the tallest Cee Bailey screen I could get. It looks weird, but I get a huge, huge pocket of still air that can't be beat for riding in winter out here in N. California. And the optics of their stuff are great. Due to the ergos of the bike, it's almost impossible to get a windscreen you can easily see over and yet retain a still air pocket for your head, IMHO anyway...

Go do it--you'll be happy you did.

Arefbee

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Chop it down. Really.

· Registered
237 Posts
There are a lot of variables when considering this topic. Seat, Rider torso height, bar risers or handlebar changes. I have an 02 DL1000, 6'1 height and 32" inseam. I have had the Suzuki gel seat and Sargent seat with all of the following shields: Cee Bailey Tall, Cee Bailey with NACA duct, Suzuki stock, Suzuki tall (same as Givi I think), Suzuki standard - cut down, Zero Gravity standard (same as stock) and a WindStrom Manta with optional Top Spoiler. The winner that I always have been the most happy with is.............:punk:

Cut down stock shield wins every time. Clean air, plain and simple.

· Registered
82 Posts
+1 to the previous 3 posts - cut the sucker down. You will get clean air to your head & shoulders, with no buffetting. It took me a while to work this out, but I'm happy with it now. Mine is just a bit shorter than Appalachian's.

Geoff

· Registered
78 Posts
I just picked up a Cee Bailey, kind of ugly, that works great. I can't say I'll use it as an everyday shield but if I'm hitting the highway for a few hundred miles it will surely be mounted. I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam. It creates a very still pocket of air. For short rides I installed a slightly taller, much uglier, shield, not sure of the brand, which has somewhat of a horizontal widening as well and is also about two inches taller than factory. It does not impede my vision and helped with the buffeting but, did I mention how ugly it is...
I still perfer the factory shield for everyday use as the asthetics are pleasing. Get the madstad (SP) brace if available and use your factory shield.

· Registered
335 Posts
I have a K3 and use a 26 inch Cee Bailey. I'm 6'3" and it works fine -not too pretty but I'm a function over form guy, so looks dont matter much. It's a barn door but it works perfectly!

· Registered
753 Posts
I have a Windstrom Manta. It replaced an OEM tall shield which temporarily replaced my first Windstrom Manta I took out in a low speed crash. It sucked, even with the Vario installed. Much happier with the Windstrom. 6'7" I need the height. I have a slip on spoiler which deflects the air to the top of my Helmet (Arai XD) for long rides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.