StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my new to me K4 Vee tomorrow and am already starting to make me a farkle list. Being 6'4 and 240lbs I haven't owned a bike yet that I have sat on and immediately been comfortable on. (My 08 BMW GSA was close though but still needed some tall guy mods). So some of the things I think I will like and need are:
1. Lowered Footpegs and wider if possible...
2. Longer Shift lever (Size 14 boots)
3. Tall Wind Screen (I hear buffeting will be a problem on the Vee and is not easily fixed). Will a Madstad help?
4. Tall bend bars and maybe a riser. (Will cables need lengthened on a Vee for such mods)?
5. Tall seat (Is the Vee seat adjustable in height like my BMW and FJR were)?

Hoping to get some tall guys who have put on some proper tall rider mods to respond and help me out. As always Photo's encouraged and appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm about 230# and 6'3", size 13 or 14 foot depending on shoe maker...

3. Tall Wind Screen (I hear buffeting will be a problem on the Vee and is not easily fixed). Will a Madstad help?
4. Tall bend bars and maybe a riser. (Will cables need lengthened on a Vee for such mods)?

1. Stock pegs were good for me, but I rode an RT-P for work for about 8 years so the stretch was about the same.

2. Stock shifter is fine. Boots have no trouble fitting under it.

3. Went with a Givi windshield. Too cheap for a madstad, Givi works GOOD for me. YMMV.

4. I went with a simple 1" riser, no pullback. Some bikes don't require any mods for that. Mine I had to move the little clamping rubber part on the lower tree. The wife's DL1K has up & back risers, which required some further adjustments.

5. Vee seat is non-adjustable. If you feel too low you can do like I did with the stock seat. Add a layer of foam over the existing foam.

·
Registered
424 Posts
13 boots. 34-35 inseam.
I have an old set of goldwing foot rests a friend gave me. I used some of the lowering items, I cannot remember the brand. I just got used to the change in shifting and braking.
I use a Russell Day Long. Built up 1 and back 1.

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Richland Rick lowering brackets are a great way to go. Best $50 you can spend, imo. GL1800 pegs will give you a bigger platform if you want to add them also. I have size 15 feet, don't feel the need to mod the shifter.

I did my own custom seat, also have a Givi shield with Madstad. The shield itself is a huge improvement.

Good luck!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm 6'3" but I have a K3 1000. The Russell day long seat is nice and high for good leg room, 1.5 inch swmoto pull back handlebar risers and a 26inch cee-bailey w/shield with Saeng top lip. stock pegs and shifter= no problems

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Do a search on ebay for 'GL1800 footpeg' I bought a used pair (takeoffs) from a trike manufacturer on ebay a few weeks ago for $3.00 and shipping. They will be mounted on my vstrom I have on order. You don't use the brackets, just the peg, the fronts fit perfectly, they are almost twice as wide as the stock suzuki peg, and will sit about 3/4 inch lower. I had them on my DL1000, they made a noticeable difference. You lose some cornering clearance, but depending on your style of riding, it won't matter to you. Another source is the gl1800riders forum, they are often taken off for mounting of floorboards, or flashier kuryakyn chrome pegs. For my last bike, I bought two sets of them on gl1800riders for about $25 delivered.

·
Registered
79 Posts
6'3"

Biggest thing for me was the seat, Sargents did this for me. About an inch higher, stiffer foam that doesn't crush down, and I get to slide back if I need to change position or stretch a bit. Richland Rick's peg lowering plates help my older knees.

This is a bike from the big and tall shop.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am 6'2" and 290 but with a 32" inseam. It is a tall bike and I can't flat foot it completely, just about 85% flatfoot. Good enough for me.

My bike came with a Corbin seat and I see no reason to get rid of it.

I went with MSR ATV High Bars, cut 5/8" an inch off each end and I am happy with the bars now. Higher and flatter.

I will be looking into the peg situation and the Goldwing ones sound like the best solution.

I took the stock windshield and cut it down to the edges of the faring using a string centered in the "crotch" of the painted part of the faring to outline the radius. No more buffeting. Granted, lots more wind, but it's all on the helmet and I am used to it from riding a sport bike for a few years and my XJ750.

·
Registered
274 Posts
6'4". 230, 36" inseam. The bike has a sargeant seat, Alaskan sheepskin pad, and tall CeeBailey's windshield. As it sits, the bike is so comfortable that I'm afraid of making an change and throwing it out of wack.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Better bars. Taller seat. Several options for wind screens. You can find all that info here.

You need stiffer fork springs for sure. A shock spring is a good investment as well.

If your interested, I have a taller/wider seat (1" taller then stock V) For Sale. And, a set of handle bars which are very good for taller riders (New. never installed).

6'7" 210 lbs here. PM if your interested and can send you installed photos of both.

·
Registered
832 Posts
So some of the things I think I will like and need are:
I use:
1. SW Motech convertible footpegs in low setting. The 1" gain in legroom makes a big difference, believe it or not.
2. Factory shift lever (this is a matter of comfort and personal preference)
3. Stock windscreen in middle setting.
4. Stock bars. The reach to the bars isn't a problem for me. (I do remain intrigued that more than a few tall guys, with presumably long arms, seem to want/need bar risers, etc. It seems that our height doesn't tell the whole story.)
5. Rick Mayer seat, built ~1.5" taller than the factory 1K seat. I could still use a bit more room, truth be told. Oldstrom's Sargent saddle looks very nice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm 6'4", 240lbs with a 34" inseam. My height is in my torso.

To me the Russell Day long Seat is most comfortable being this tall. Definitely have to get the bars up, but the Russell just tops it off. I have my foot pegs and everything at stock height, although I have thought about lowering them.

I've had 5 Vstrom's and the Russell seat has been on every single one of them including my '04 DL1000 I owned. I can't even stand riding on my DL1000 Seat unless its just a short trip. I have a Rick Mayer seat too, but the Russell is still the bomb.

I do have the madstad that has been on all 5 bikes too. I can't remember the shield I started with, but I have a Vstream windshield now and love it.

BTW, want to sit on a bike that will fit you out of the box. Go ride a Ducati Mutlistrada 1200. Wow, that is one bike that fits tall guys like a glove. I wouldn't have to change a thing except the stock shield and would be comfy for a week+ trip.

Pics comparing the 650 seat and the Russell Day Long. I could actually stand for mine to be a tad higher and further back, but I bought it used, so it wasn't custom built for me. It still works very well. Many of my Vstrom friends have Russell seats too after sitting on mine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
6'4" 260, 35" inseam....

All I have done is rotate the bars forward a bit to alleviate some soreness I was encountering in my wrists.

I use the stock Windshield, but I had a GIVI for the winter till it broke... buffeting does not seam to be an issue for me, whatever that term means, it's a motorcycle, it's windy....

I found the stock seat uncomfortable at first, now I can do a 12 hour stretch on it with no concerns....

it is a great bike for us tall gents....

·
Registered
83 Posts
6'10" 330 here.
I'll have to get a current pic of the bike but I have
1) Rickland Rick Peg lowering plates
2) 1" riser for rear shock
3) reworked shock by sasquatch, 1.2 racetechs in front
4) MSR bars
5) 30mm risers so I can stand up a little more comfortably
6) Seat redone by local shop, basically level from front to back.
7) bike came with cee bailey's shield and I added a madstad.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think all my friends must just be short, because I always feel tall until a thread comes out like this and then 6'5" - 6'10" guys come out of the wood work and I don't feel so tall anymore! LOL.

6'10" 330 here.
I'll have to get a current pic of the bike but I have
1) Rickland Rick Peg lowering plates
2) 1" riser for rear shock
3) reworked shock by sasquatch, 1.2 racetechs in front
4) MSR bars
5) 30mm risers so I can stand up a little more comfortably
6) Seat redone by local shop, basically level from front to back.
7) bike came with cee bailey's shield and I added a madstad.
Do you have any pics of you standing over the bike. I just want to see how bad a 6'10" guy dwarfs the strom. hehe.

It definitely is a good bike for tall guys though when setup right.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Its rare to see a guy bigger than me on any bike--I'm a tiny bit smaller at 6' 6" and around three bills. My Strom is the first bike that really fits me--I also bought a KLR beater bike, and it was easy to make that one fit me too, so I am now well mounted and don't need much else for bikes. I sometimes miss a serious dose of power, one of my last bikes was a ZZR1200, and it had fantastic power--it didn't even know I was aboard--it was seriously fast. But other than that I am pleased with my Vee.
I did all the stuff that was just mentioned, the only thing I do a little differently is I make windshields--lots of em, from old discarded plexifairings I find in odd places for cheap. I trim em down to fit and they look great--work good too. I have posted several on this site.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Getting my new to me K4 Vee tomorrow and am already starting to make me a farkle list. Being 6'4 and 240lbs I haven't owned a bike yet that I have sat on and immediately been comfortable on. (My 08 BMW GSA was close though but still needed some tall guy mods). So some of the things I think I will like and need are:

Hoping to get some tall guys who have put on some proper tall rider mods to respond and help me out. As always Photo's encouraged and appreciated.
I'm 6'1", with 34" inseam, Size 13 boots. The most effective mod for pampering my long legs was highway pegs, mounted on a skidplate.
1. Haven't tried lowered footpegs, would be interested to learn if others who have tried them noticed a reduced maximum lean angle.
2. I was able to adjust the height of the OEM shift lever to my liking, using the fine adjuster.
3. Madstad and Givi seem to help.
4. Haven't tried risers or taller bars.
5. My custom Sargent seat is at least 34" tall. The thing about raising the seat is that, given no other variables, you must lean forward more to reach the bars. I think I might should have gone with lowered footpegs instead.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oldstrom,
Please tell me more about that seat.
I currently have a Rick Mayer saddle that I really like, but I still feel that I need to be further back from the tank.
Other than that, best thing for me was the Richland Rick peg lowering kit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts