StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a tall shield for the Wee they are looking to part with? Not overly particular about the manufacturer - just looking for something a bit bigger than stock. Thought I'd look for something local to start with.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I might be willing to part with my laminar screen add on I just got my new Givi tall windcreen but with this winter I don't know when I'll have a chance to try it out

·
Registered
193 Posts
I might be willing to part with my laminar screen add on I just got my new Givi tall windcreen but with this winter I don't know when I'll have a chance to try it out
Good call on the Givi. You'll be happy with it. I'd recommend it to the OP as well. Actually quite reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chopper, but I think I'll pass on the laminar add-on. Did you guys get the tall Givi's locally?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks Chopper, but I think I'll pass on the laminar add-on. Did you guys get the tall Givi's locally?
Ordered mine at my dealer, "Racers Choice", in Brantford. Something like $129.00.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Everyone but me???

Whywhyzee,

Um, can I call you Lester?

Anyway, I have learned some things about windshields for Stroms. Principally, I learned that they are a big problem for some, and no trouble at all for others.

I rode with two dozen V-Strom riders in Florida, and half of them had custom windshields, custom brackets, or both. When I met Heavy, Shepherd, and the gang in the summer of 2007, I saw that everyone but I had a custom windshield, bracket, or both.

I rode from YYZ to YVR to YYZ, via ORD and DEN and even GEG (that's Spokane, son) and YXE (SaskSask) with my stock windshield in its highest position. No trouble, even when coping with severe crosswinds in Nebraska.

I rode from YYZ to YQX and back, with my windshield in its lowest position. North of Gros Morne Park, on the west coast of Newfoundland, the crosswinds were *REALLY* nasty, but the windshield was no problem, and the airflow past and over it never bothered me.

FINALLY, the POINT! I think you ought to experiment with cheap stuff before committing to spend hundreds on some windshield solution that works for someone else and may be a costly nightmare, or worse a HAZARD, for you.

Why not visit your friendly Home Depot and pick up some plastic that you can bend, then form a custom shield and run that instead of the stock one. You could even use both at once, with masking tape or something protecting the original shield from scratches. If you buy particularly thin plastic, you could use two thicknesses, and consult Mr. Red Green for means of holding the two or three thicknesses together and to your bike.

I hope to see you in April, May, August, and/or September when I visit your fine city.

Keith

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lester...yyz....either one!

I've recently bought a taller shield, and already have a Madstad, so when Spring arrives, I'll have some experimenting to do. These cost a fraction of what the bke cost, and if it adds to my enjoyment of the bike, then it's a small price to pay. If they don't work out, I don't think I would have a problem selling them - there's definitely a market out there for good, used v-strom parts.

Look forward to meeting you and others in the coming riding season!

Lester

And you're right - didn't know GEG!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts