StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ordered the OEM tall seat? I've seen some posts about the lower seat and about lowering the bike, but nothing about the tall seat.

I'm pretty long legged (but only 6'0) and although I haven't ridden the Strom, I found just sitting on it I was able to fully flat foot it and was thinking maybe the tall seat would offer some more legroom.

Anyone seen or used one?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just picked up a 650 a few weeks ago. At 6' as well, I found it a bit cramped. I just got an oem gel seat which measured an inch taller. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion it would be the most cost effective way to add height and comfort. There are also brackets for lowering the pegs, but I didn't want to go that route. I also have a highway peg setup ihave yet to mount that will provide for different positioning on longer rides.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/698769-post53.html

Very well made stuff and highly recommended.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am 6'2" with boots on-- I felt cramped on the bike stock. I ordered the Peg lowering kit from AdventureTech and my problems are 90% better. I am going to put some miles on it before I decide on a custom seat. If I get one I will add 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

I weigh 240 and the stock rear suspension is set at setting 2. I had them set it at setting 4 at the dealer before I rode away and the bike rides amazing. I have not scraped my pegs yet.

Hope this helps.

I did not change the front yet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'm not aware of a gel seat for the 2012.

·
Administrator
13,685 Posts
I have the tall seat. I'm 6'2" and it does give me more useable height than the regular seat.

I'm disappointed in that it isn't nearly as comfy as I had hoped. (I have a Corbin on my 2006 DL650.) I haven't had the bike two weeks yet and only have about 2,200 km/1,400 miles but its obvious to me it isn't going to get much more comfortable. Corbin will have a seat sometime in the future and in the meanwhile I'll fiddle around with it and perhaps try some padding on top.

..Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...

I guess I'll wait until I get one and see how it is. I think I'd rather raise the seat than lower the pegs.

I have a Corbin on my BMW and it's hard as a rock! I use an Airhawk II seat on it and it adds about an inch and is way more comfortable, I can also swap it around, so maybe that would be a better option.

Thanks again, hope to join your ranks soon...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I like my (tall seat) so far, but I also have a 1" peg lowering kit. Both helped make room for my long legs, and I don't think the tall seat has the heat absorbing gel in it which is a plus in itself. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I got one! I love it. The seat to ground distance is just fine, I'm not completely flat footing it, but more like 3/4 footing it.

But, the peg to seat is way too tight, it causes my butt to bend up more creating a sharper part resting on the seat, which starts to ache a little after 20-30 miles.

So I'm thinking the peg lowering route might be the way to go.

This looks like the kit you guys have used... I think I'l order a kit along with their fork brace, assuming that the kit should work on the new 2012.

Footpeg and Control Lowering Kit *FPLK65 - Adventure Tech Products

Any other suggestions for peg lowering kits?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts