StromTrooper banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Longer gear shifter... any ideas or suppliers?

Love my 2018 DL 1000, but wanted a longer gear shifter for when I use my larger boots... any ideas anyone? Im 6 3 215 Lbs. Vstrom fits me perfect except this...…

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Ask Rick (adventuretech) if his shifter relocator will fit on the 2018. I use it on my 2014 and it is fantastic. He might even offer one that does not require lowering the footpegs.

·
Vendor
4,683 Posts
Most people with really big feet have really long legs and need both.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/gear-shift-relocationextension.html

You need to watch both the foot peg and control lowering kit and gear shift relocation kit installation videos.

I did work out a gear shift relocation kit for hobbits, but you have know to ask for it. No prejudice against hobbits, just a very rare need.

Gratuitous pic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 6' 2" with size 12 boot, and felt the need to make adjustments for additional cockpit room for comfortable cruising. Lowered pegs, tick. Bar risers, tick. Bead Rider seat cover, tick. And have just also added linkage risers too, which I've yet to try out. There's pros and cons of raising the whole bike compared to just the rider via the higher seat - raises centre of gravity which isn't good, but also gives a bit more ground clearance which is definitely good plus sharpens the steering a bit, also good. Re gear lever, bought a cheapie aftermarket dirt bike lever and cut and welded it so is further from peg, and works great. Gotta be comfortable for long distance cruising!! Just hoping the upper extremity (ie, the head) isn't now too much in the wind.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
6'1" with 34" inseam, I found the stock 2014 DL650 setup a bit cramped, leading to backache, etc. I added Adventuretech peg lowering brackets/shifter relocator and the OEM tall seat. I was thinking bar risers too but with the first two add-ons it's feeling good, no aches on long day rides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And if you're buying a used bike, make sure the PO didn't install lowering links!
This happened to me. I bought a used 2015 650 XT and always thought it handled a little sluggish and it bottomed out constantly. I thought it was the weak rear shock. When I replaced the rear shock for a cogent model I noticed that it had 3/4" lowering links. I ordered a set of 3/4" raising links and with the new suspension handles great.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You can also pull the forks up in the triple trees if you want the bike to handle even quicker :cool:

This happened to me. I bought a used 2015 650 XT and always thought it handled a little sluggish and it bottomed out constantly. I thought it was the weak rear shock. When I replaced the rear shock for a cogent model I noticed that it had 3/4" lowering links. I ordered a set of 3/4" raising links and with the new suspension handles great.

·
Registered
303 Posts
6'2" 33 inseam 215lbs, Dunno about having Gorilla arms 😉 but the only mods I needed for my bod, after putting 1000 miles on it, were Rick's peg lowering kit and a Madstad 22" screen. Able to flat foot and still be comfy👍

21 - 31 of 31 Posts