StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rider in our small group riding the Cherohala Skyway Saturday asked what the four very tall poles on both sides of the road near the Santeetlah highpoint were for. None of us knew the answer, nor did anyone we asked.
Anyone here know?

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are launching poles for Carolina flying squirrels who can't get across the road to mate. Without the poles they cannot gain sufficient altitude to launch across the roadway. So, they built poles.

Seriously. I'm not creative enough to make up something that bizzare.

Get Out - Expert's study gives a lift to flying squirrels - - WS Journal
I never would have suspected that. I've heard of tunnels under roadways for turtles but never a high launching pad for our furry friends.
Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yep - it's for the squirrels. There's an information board on the NC side that explains it.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Tall Poles
From the title I thought the topic was about a visiting Polish basketball team.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The tall poles on Cherohala

There are several sets of poles along the Skyway, but I haven't mapped their location.

Flying squirrels can glide through the air a distance, but it's a pretty quick rate of decent so they have to be fairly high up (30-50 feet is what I've seen them jump from) to make it to the destination tree.

Speaking of the Skyway, the blueberrys are ripe. There are high bush blueberry shrubs all over the place. I stopped at Hooper Bald and picked a handfull for consumption. Some were sweet, some still sour. Once they're sweet the critters get them pretty quick!

Bill in Roswell, GA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts