StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 10 mile commute to work I take the same route, never straying, because of the lack of sensible variations. As a result I've gotten to know about every bump, groove, and dip in my path. Even the manhole covers are embedded in my memory. (Well not all of them).
Anyhow, I've been using the DL a lot this year and although it'd be no different if it was the sv or bandit, when I ride it I intensionally avoid these bumps. This requires shifting my position in my lane as well as full lane changes .... all at appropriate times. Sometimes it isn't exactly conveinient or a smooth move because of the traffic involved.

I don't mind doing it, in fact I feel it kind of adds a dimention to the experience. Sorta helps fight the 'boring commute" syndrome.

Just wondering if others do this too?

dave

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yes. I think it is somewhat natural as a way of preserving you and your machine. I do the same in the cage. The roads where I live almost require it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yup. I could rhyme off all the roads with specific bumps who's existance is burned into memory but I would bore you to death by chapter 8. The only one worth of mention here is the brand new pave job on a stretch of highway on my home from work where they simply screwed up.

It's like someone took a rug that is bunched up everywhere causing ripples and they paved over it. It's only a stretch of about 300 ft or so that I'm usually able to avoid by moving over to the left side of the lane (it's the left lane with a left lane exit). However leaving after a night shift, this particular stretch is smoking busy with folks getting on the highway during the start of morning rush and some needing to get off to the left. Makes it quite dangerous as I take myself somewhat out of view for a few moments and risk someone coming into my lane from the right.

Difficult to describe, but if you know where the LINC is in Hamilton, you might know where I mean. It's a little game, will I be able to move over or have to go over some pretty jarring bumps and remain in a more defensive position. Not really that big of a deal but it does help keep me awake after the shift. Definitely not a boring stretch of road. For the rest of the commute I sometimes let my right hand keep me awake...:confused: wait that didn't quite come out…er…I mean that I…oh nevermind!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My commuting excitement comes from the other vehicles on the road rather than the road itself. I use the HOV lane, and whenever the regular lanes back up, you can be sure several idiots will swerve into the HOV lane, regardless of your right of way. Then there's the Q-Tips who congregate near my neighborhood, careening around high on Vicodin in their big GMs with the fake convertible tops and gold badging. They simply cannot see motorcycles, and will drive right through you if your path intersects theirs. In the morning the truck fleets are out; everything from exterminator tankers to dump trucks, all hell bent on making it through the intersection, regardless of the state of the traffic light. There are a few fun moments, like the freeway ramps where I can actually lean the bike over.

Sometimes I wonder why I even ride to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts