StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine, who restores and sells motorcycles, puts a little dab of grease on each of his plastic tabs when he puts the plastic(s) back on. He claims that it helps and that if you have to take them off, again, they come off much easier. He has had over 2500 bikes so he might be on to something.
Since a lot of you will be repainting your bike a different color you might want to try this. He also does this with the rubber parts/groumets...and bolts. He claims it works as well and you can easily take off a bolt...but they will not come loose.

An idea to try.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I use silicone grease on the rubber grommets. I hadn't thought about the plastic connections. They seem slippery enough and greasing them seems overkill and a bit messy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a small dab!!!

My friend swears by it. He does a lot of old bikes and contends that since the plastic tabs get very brittle...a small dab of grease applied on them makes it much easier to slide on and off, hence, reducing the possibility of breaking off the plastic tab.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I think it would help on the front orange plastic. It's a PITA to get off. I will try it next time.

I use anti seize and dielectric grease religiously too. Especially fasteners that you remove a lot. Like the rear axle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts