StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks,

I have a sonic cleaner and it works wonders on grimy old parts. I'd like to pull apart my calipers, but they're not leaking- I'd just like smoother action. Is it ok to pull everything apart as-is, dunk it in the cleaner, dry it off, and put it back together without buying new seals? I'd like to avoid spending the money on seals if I can reuse the existing ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It's a major job and you'll need to replace the seals.

Just clean the crap off the pistons with one of those green kitchen scourers and methylated spirits. Clean the dust out of the caliper with an old toothbrush and more meths. I do that roughly once a year anyway.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
If it comes apart, it needs seals. Which are expensive from Suzuki. There are some cheap Chinese parts that would probably work well enough.

If not leaking, I would leave it alone if not planning on using seals. Seals take a set to the environment they are used in. Embedded dirt would be a factor. I have tried reusing seals and I have failed at it every time I can remember doing it. One thing to get something working for a few days, another for it to last........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts