StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take long bike trips, I always have my iPhone and sometimes take a 7" netbook so I can check email, log into weather sites, check news, and connect into the servers at work in case of emergency tech support needs (I work in IT). I also use one or the other to play games and read eBooks when chilling in the evenings. The iPhone does much of what I want but it's got a rather small screen; I wish it were bigger.

I'm curious about scrapping the netbook and getting an iPad instead and was curious if anyone else takes an iPad with them on bike trips.

Yes, I'd continue taking my iPhone so that I can make phone calls.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I always carry my 13" laptop when I travel. It does everthing I need (email, browsing, Quicken etc) and also has my pdf service manual in case I need to reference it on the road... it saves carrying the heavy paper service manual on the bike. All my personal files are kept in a 'TrueCrypt' container in case the laptop is lost or stolen. If an IPAD can do all that then I will consider one when my Laptop needs replacement.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
When I take long bike trips, I always have my iPhone and sometimes take a 7" netbook so I can check email, log into weather sites, check news, and connect into the servers at work in case of emergency tech support needs (I work in IT). I also use one or the other to play games and read eBooks when chilling in the evenings. The iPhone does much of what I want but it's got a rather small screen; I wish it were bigger.

I'm curious about scrapping the netbook and getting an iPad instead and was curious if anyone else takes an iPad with them on bike trips.

Yes, I'd continue taking my iPhone so that I can make phone calls.
I take mine. I have the 3G model so internet access is usually pretty easy. It's not a good substitute for a netbook if you do a lot of keying but great for surfing, music, games, etc. I also have an iPhone so I don't have to take a separate charger for the iPad.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take mine. I have the 3G model so internet access is usually pretty easy. It's not a good substitute for a netbook if you do a lot of keying but great for surfing, music, games, etc. I also have an iPhone so I don't have to take a separate charger for the iPad.
Rick, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of case you use for your iPad, to keep it safe while traveling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
An Iphone is just a smaller Ipad and an Ipad is just a larger Iphone.
Many of my friends picked one up when they first came out (they have Iphones) and took them back within days, main complaint is that it costs 2x as much as an iphone and doesn't make calls.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An Iphone is just a smaller Ipad and an Ipad is just a larger Iphone.
Many of my friends picked one up when they first came out (they have Iphones) and took them back within days, main complaint is that it costs 2x as much as an iphone and doesn't make calls.
The fact that an iPad can't make phone calls is immaterial to me. I have no expectation of it doing so and don't grieve the fact that it doesn't. I'd see it as a small form-factor computer that's easy to use and has instant-on and other features. I don't see it as a big phone.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I use only a 3G iPad. It is of course a compromise over a laptop. However the Pro's for myself are important. The main advantage is the use during photography. By using the eye-fi SD card it can upload via wifi directly from my camera and I can see photos on a much larger screen in real time. The main drawback is text editing. For that I use the combo case/keyboard by Zagg.

The use of online cloud services is critical for productivity. I use Dropbox for docs and SmugMug for photos. Hope this helps

·
Registered
67 Posts
The fact that an iPad can't make phone calls is immaterial to me. I have no expectation of it doing so and don't grieve the fact that it doesn't. I'd see it as a small form-factor computer that's easy to use and has instant-on and other features. I don't see it as a big phone.
Not that they were trying to replace their phones. It was the fact its an Iphone with an 11"?? display, that's all. Just a bigger version of the same thing you already have.

If I were to suggest a tablet PC I'd suggest a windows device or android, lots of apps for the Android and with a windows device you can do everything a netbook can do. The Android system is much more 'open' in my opinion in comparison to the Iphone OS.

Then again if you like your Iphone and just want a bigger screen the Ipad won't disappoint.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I use an iPad on the road, but since I've only had it for a few months, it hasn't gone on the bike yet. In the past, I've carried laptops, macbooks, and netbooks in addition to net-connected cell phones.

EDIT: Oh wait, it went to Ithaca a couple of weeks ago.

The netbook is useless for reviewing HD movies I take on trips. It's too slow.

Case? I have the Apple case -- it fits the iPad 2 fairly well although it was not designed for it. That's sufficient protection for me.

As to anyone who thinks the iPad is just a big iPhone, it may run the same OS, but the phone is just too damn small to be useful for many purposes. Anyone who has both will tell you they use them for different purposes.

And yes, you can make VOIP phone calls on the iPad. I wouldn't, but it's possible. There are several apps for that purpose.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rick, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of case you use for your iPad, to keep it safe while traveling.
I have the Otterbox case for my ipad. It's definitely the best protection for the ipad. You won't be disappointed.... just look at the reviews. it definitely chunks the sleek ipad up a bit, but it also doubles as a stand so it's worth it. I've got the bluetooth apple keyboard as well and it's the perfect travelling companion. Looks like it came way down in price. It was $90 everywhere when I bought it last yr.

Amazon.com: Otterbox APL2-iPAD1-20-C4OTR iPad Defender Series Case: Electronics

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a 3G iPad that I bought on the first day they were available. It has always gone with me on long trips (both car and bike). I have a leather flip open Griffin case that I carry it in on trips. On the bike, I try to keep it in my top box so that it is easily accessible. Mine has always traveled well, no problems. Pretty easy to get wifi access now days on the road too if you want it, just stop at almost any McDonalds in the USA. The hotspot is free. Buy a cup of coffee or a hamburger and surf away.

As to the people that say it is just a big iPhone, iPod Touch... No, it isn't. If you are running apps made for it, you get a much different experience. I also have and sometimes bring with me the bluetooth keyboard made by Zagg. With this, I not only get a keyboard for the iPad but it gives me an aluminum cover over the screen when it is travelling.

For those who are telling you to get an android system, I have been running Linux since about '96 and it is a good solid OS. This doesn't invalidate my choice of using an Apple product. I like the Apple OS better for everyday work. It is still a Unix, just not Linux. Use what you like be it Linux (Android is a Linux), OSX/iOS, or even a Microsoft OS. A lot like motorcycles; Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW or even Harley. A personal choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
IPad

If IPad ran MapSource and would sync with my Garmin I would buy one. On long trips I usually do some routing in the evening and upload a route or two to my Garmin.

I really like the IPad and it does everything I want EXCEPT running MapSource. I know about Google Maps but it doesn't do routing below Mexico.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Kind of spooky this thread came up.:yikes:
I just got my wife an Ipad2 for a Mothersday, anniversary, 4th of July, Memorial day, labor day, Halloween, Veterans day, Thanksgiving present. She loves the thing. I fiddled with it.. and.. gotta admit I like it too. Ive used my i-phone a little during trips but rely more on paper maps (read Gazetter, or Benchmark). Have a couple Windows based laptops and have used them travelling in the cage. It's okay but kind of big and clunky. As far as an OS I see good and bad about either. Had a co-worker that bought an android phone. Couldnt get the thing to do what he wanted no matter how hard he tried... problem after problem. He finally settled on a Blackberry device which is his comfort zone. While I like Windows based stuff I guess I just like te intuitivenss of the Apple products. yes there's a learning curve, but by and large it's pretty simple. I dont have to endure updates every other evening, and virus threats have been minimal. As for comparing an Iphone to an Ipad... no comparison. Yes a lot of similarities, but that could be said for Android and a laptop. My Iphone 3G (I was cheap) is slow and clunky due to a shitload of music on it. The Ipad-2 is Smokin fast in comparison. I have had zero (yes ZERO) issues with software updates, and what not. In comparison I get updates to update the update on my laptop all the time. VERY well said regarding different tools for different preferences... it's what makes the world go round right?
So anyway.. Im messing around with her Ipad.. and I open Google maps... I immediately think.. WOW! great resolution:jawdrop:... and ... crap! This thing will fit perfectly in the little map slot on my Wolfman Rainier tankbag.. Craziness! So I instantly think to myself... "Self, you gotta tell somebody!" So here I am.. beaten to the punch once again.. I guess that's about it. Kind of anticlimactic isnt it.:frown: Well .. carry on.. I think the pads are a great idea.. although I imagine they would get kind of warm in the map pocket. I know my I phone gets a little toasty whe I run it in there off the 12v DC plug listening to tunes/ recharging. Genius idea though.. good thread.:fineprint:

·
Registered
807 Posts
We'll be taking an iPad on our trip, and I think my buddy is pre-paying for 200MB of international data roaming for Canada.

I've been hesitant to buy ssh type applications for my iPhone as I'd rarely use them, but I could see using the iPad as a computer replacement in a pinch. Then again, maybe I'd just buy an Air and be done with it :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well disclaimer first. I am a total Apple Geek so my response will be very bias. Having almost zero experience with with windoze and can't make a fair comparison. The IPad has it's nitch and serves it's purpose well. As previously mentioned in prior posts,internet,photography,mapping,record keeping,note taking,Spot tracking,oem manual reading,food finding,geo cacheing,banking,emailing,network checking,tv controlling,youtube broadcasting, movie making,movie watching,translating,remote accessing,cloud hoping,teaching,demonstrating,skypeing,and 1000's of other apps available. What more could an apple guy want. I have both the IPad 1 and 2. Use the Otterbox defender case. Both WiFi models and use Clear 4g+.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I ordered one from the Apple Online Store, and it actually arrived nearly 2 weeks early. However, it is reasonably unlikely that it will arrive in time, there is a chance, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Sorry.
I ordered one on Sunday (15 May) and it's showing dispatch on 31 may and delivery on 2 June.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Well disclaimer first. I am a total Apple Geek so my response will be very bias. Having almost zero experience with with windoze
And it shows by your inability to correctly spell Windows. Why do Mac geeks persist with that 1990's description of Windows and continue to make themselves look like prats to 90% computer users world wide?

Both WiFi models and use Clear 4g+.
Because of your geekness you must have some sort of prototype the ones normal people buy only have 3G chipsets inside them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
And it shows by your inability to correctly spell Windows. Why do Mac geeks persist with that 1990's description of Windows and continue to make themselves look like pratts to 90+ computer users world wide?
A whole 90 computer users? And I believe the word is "prat", while we're prattling on about grammatical inaccuracies... However, his usage was obviously intentional, unlike the vast majority of ignorant non-Mac users who can't tell the difference between an acronym and a proper name, and insist on calling it a MAC. Also, most of these people can't even figure out how articles work in the English language, so they say things like "... when I use MAC... "

The only thing worth pointing out in any Mac vs Windows argument:
The average Mac user has far more experience than the average Windows user has Mac experience. I think that says it all in terms of who is better able to make an informed decision.

Got anything colorful to say about me based on the fact that I mockingly use the term Slowaris, even though I have nothing against the operating system? Sometimes a joke is just that, a joke.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts